PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about a Wet/Dry

Porkchop
02-10-2009, 04:40 PM
Can I put 2 heaters in my new wet/dry? Will I get the same effect as if they were in the tank?

The tank is a 75 gallon and the heaters are both 200 watts.

Anthony

Moon
02-10-2009, 05:37 PM
It will work but the efficiency of heat dissipation will not be the same as if the heaters were in the tank.The heated water has to move along the tubes into the tank. There may be some heat loss during this process. But it will be minimal.

Porkchop
02-10-2009, 05:53 PM
Well, correct me if I'm wrong but I've read about two things. One being that heaters work best by water movement so the heat can be evenly distributed. I also have read that heaters CAN be placed in wet/dry filters. I just wasn't sure if two of them across from each other but in the same area would work.

Basically, the heaters would be against the sides with the pump in the middle. If needed, I can take a pick of the pump with one heater in it so the idea can be put across.

Anthony

Moon
02-10-2009, 11:06 PM
I don't see any problems with your arrangement. It should work.

Porkchop
02-11-2009, 02:31 AM
I'm going to try it. I was also told today to make sure my heater is not touching the sides because it may burn it. Gonna see what I have so I can put a spacer in between.

Anthony

KDodds
02-11-2009, 08:14 AM
You'll be fine. You may find, in fact, that your heaters turn on less frequently and for shorter periods as the increased flow rate in a mor concentrated volume tends to distribute the heat more evenly, quicker. For this reason I run my heaters either inline or in sumps.

MostlyDiscus
02-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Same as KD here. Just cover your tank to keep the heat in as best you can.

Ed

Porkchop
02-11-2009, 11:39 AM
That I know of, my heaters are hardly on and I keep my tank at 86 degrees. I plan on going down to 84 degrees when I make the move with the heaters.

Thanks for your inputs.

Anthony

Condor
02-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Anthony, let us know how it works out.

Adrian

Porkchop
02-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Well, so far so good. I'm gonna keep an eye on the temperature as well as how often the heaters are running. Here are some pics of what it looks like. I know we all like pics :p

Don't mind the permanent marker. That was how I got it.
http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp151/anthonyporkchop/th_DSC00542.jpg (http://s407.photobucket.com/albums/pp151/anthonyporkchop/?action=view&current=DSC00542.jpg)http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp151/anthonyporkchop/th_DSC00543.jpg (http://s407.photobucket.com/albums/pp151/anthonyporkchop/?action=view&current=DSC00543.jpg)

Anthony

Porkchop
02-11-2009, 11:36 PM
It's been a little over 8 hours I think and my temp is stable at 84 degrees. I checked the heaters just now when I got home from work and only one of them was on. Gonna continue to keep an eye them to see how often they are going on or staying on.

Anthony

salth20
02-15-2009, 04:34 PM
You are good to go. Keep an eye on the water level in the sump. Is there any way to make them horizontal to eliminate the chance they will be out of the water? My heater goes under the bio tower. I had 2 small 1"x1" acrylic squares with a 3/4 circle glued in that area that the heater slides into.

Porkchop
02-15-2009, 05:32 PM
The water evaporates FAST!!! I do daily water changes so the water level getting too low will never be a factor though. I keep the heaters on an angle so that I can adjust them without removing them. Everything has been good so far.

Anthony

Harriett
02-17-2009, 02:54 PM
Anthony, I had exactly that set up for several years--big wet dry sump below the tank--and I kept my heaters in the sump without any problems--I did take care to make sure they didn't touch the sump walls or bottom or the foam filter plate. Go for it.
Best regards
Harriett

Porkchop
02-17-2009, 03:15 PM
I cracked a heater yesterday during a WC. I'm new to having a wet/dry and when I was doing my water change, I forgot to turn off the pump again. Now I have a 200 watt heater struggling to keep the temperature. Have to get another one ASAP.