PDA

View Full Version : SALT ?

Mr Wild
02-11-2009, 12:50 AM
Before I use a salt dose as a tonic for my fish is it-

1) Ok to use rock salt @ 1 tablespoon per 10gals

or

2) Ionised table salt at the same rate?

3) Will it affect the plants I have in there?

Eddie
02-11-2009, 01:04 AM
Salt will affect your plants, I think kill them actually.

I wouldn't use salt as a tonic, it's not needed ever unless you have a nitrite emergency.

Eddie

rickztahone
02-11-2009, 01:06 AM
Before I use a salt dose as a tonic for my fish is it-

1) Ok to use rock salt @ 1 tablespoon per 10gals

or

2) Ionised table salt at the same rate?

3) Will it affect the plants I have in there?

Kenny suggested for me to use 2 tbs for every 10 gallons for the first week when i got my discus from him. this was regual kitchen salt with no iodine. i'm not sure of the effects on live plants however

Mr Wild
02-11-2009, 01:10 AM
Ok thank guys I have posted my propblem in the disease section see what comes of that. As it stands unless rock salt is not ionised I do not have the right stuff anyway. Cheers Kath

pcsb23
02-11-2009, 09:37 AM
Kath,

Any salt can be used as long as it is NaCl. Ioidsed salt is perfectly safe as the iodine is in the "iodised" form and is harmless. Also even the anti clog stuf (YPS or sodium ferrocyanate) shouldn't be an issue unless the tank is exposed to direct sunlight. If it is then don't use salt with YPS as the YPS will produce arsenic. This is why salt with YPS must never be used in outdoor ponds.

hth.

cmich
02-14-2009, 07:31 PM
I dose Kosher salt to my african cichlid tanks. I do 3 tablespoons per 5 gallons. It does kill plants, so I do not use it on my planted tank.

Hope that helps.

Blake