PDA

View Full Version : Parisite or not?

nesser
02-14-2009, 02:11 AM
I'm new with discus I have bee doing 50% w/c everyday like clockwork for three months now.I've read most of the posts and sticky threads on Simply Discus.Today when I came home my most dominant discus looked slightly stressed and with my eyes glued close to the tank I see a microscopic clear thing in the water , then it wiggeled! I just about had a heart attack.I don't actually think anything is wrong with my discus but am im dreaming about this wormy orginism i couldnt find it again and ive never had any thing like it before.Everything in the tank has been q/t,the only thing I can think of I these old Tetra flake my girlfriend fed them today,everything else I feed them is Hikari products and the only one of them that I may be suspecting is the f/d ocean plankton ,the only reason im using them is for the high protien.Any body know about free swimming organisms or internal parasites?or any other ideas?

ShinShin
02-14-2009, 03:07 AM
I doubt you have anything to worry about with the creature you saw. I would toss any old flakes you have. They tend to mold, even if you don't see it right off.

Mat

Roxanne
02-14-2009, 05:27 PM
...like a thread wiggling in the water, or a flat thread hanging onto the glass?

nesser
02-15-2009, 01:29 AM
A virtualy clear free floting worm but as i mentioned it was very very small,and I am just speculating. If in case I do find one discus with internal parasites wich i would diagnose through clear poo or lack of appitite what would be my first thing to do?If you were in my shoes so to say.

Eddie
02-15-2009, 01:31 AM
Good to have on hand,

Metro
Formalin & Malachite Green
Levimasole

Eddie

mrika
04-15-2009, 06:15 PM
There something very like that in my tank a while back. I had a bit of a panic until I noticed a mosquito-like insect drowned in the tank. They have small, wiggly aquatic larvae which is what mine turned out to be.

silent_thunder
04-16-2009, 12:18 PM
...like a thread wiggling in the water, or a flat thread hanging onto the glass?

Mine were and I have noticed a few back again:mad:...the kind that wiggled in the water...

Though from what everyone has said they are harmless I dont LIKE them...

So...what can I use to get rid of them..

OR I will try this....with you...will you give me a straight answer! =L=

Graham
04-16-2009, 04:15 PM
Again they are harmelss...make sure that there is no crud laying around in the filtrers or on the bottom. You start dumping chemicals in there to kill off whatever and you'll mess with water qualty...

Dutch dude
04-18-2009, 06:26 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but are we still talking abouth mosquito larvae? If so,....great food for the discus! They contain even more proteins as bloodworms and I feed my youngsters mosquito larvae multiple times a week. I buy them from the lfs and in the mosquito season I collect them my selves from buckets. So don't be woried abouth those larvae,...they are perfectly harmless and great food for the fish.

Don Trinko
04-18-2009, 07:01 PM
It's easy to be paranoid abought your discus but IMO; most of the time if they are eating, not hidding and have good color everything is fine. Don T.