PDA

View Full Version : sponge filter cycling

mitchar19
02-14-2009, 01:59 PM
hey guys how long should it take for a new sponge filter placed inside my exisiting tank with 7 adult discus to cycle?

The reason I am asking is because I have a pair in this tank and I want to move them to a 29 gallon.

Thanks

Roxanne
02-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Hi. The bacteria still need to colonise to sufficient numbers so it can support a bio load. Takes the same time as any media takes, 4-6 weeks.

Roxanne

Darrell Ward
02-14-2009, 04:46 PM
While it's true bacteria will need to colonise the sponge, it shouldn't take as long in a tank with an already established colony. When I place sponge filters in my sump to colonise, it generally takes only a couple of weeks to have one that will support a breeding pair. Having said that, it won't hurt to leave it in longer to become more established.

Roxanne
02-14-2009, 05:23 PM
:)...yes but the colony isn't in the tank it is in the original filter.....unless of course if you take a chunk of cycled filter media and cram it into another filter with some new sponge, then yes the bacteria will establish faster, but I find it doesn't happen that quick with the air driven sponge filters...just my experience...