PDA

View Full Version : Slanted Heaters

richtran08
02-17-2009, 12:54 AM
Hi everyone! This is my very first post/thread. I've done alot of reading on the site and have learned alot. One thing I've noticed in alot of tanks is that people place their heaters in a slanted position.

My question is: What are the advantages of placing the heater(s) slanted as opposed to vertically or horizontally?

I'd post pictures of my tank, but it is not up to par. :(

rickztahone
02-17-2009, 01:11 AM
Hi everyone! This is my very first post/thread. I've done alot of reading on the site and have learned alot. One thing I've noticed in alot of tanks is that people place their heaters in a slanted position.

My question is: What are the advantages of placing the heater(s) slanted as opposed to vertically or horizontally?

I'd post pictures of my tank, but it is not up to par. :(

there was a thread not to long ago that answered this question. from what i can remember and one of the reasons i keep mine at the bottom is so that i do not have to unplug my heater when i do my daily water changes. other people do it so that if they do forget to unplug their heater during a WC the first thing that will hit the water level is the top which can be out of water. also, with discus who are spawning, they will usually put their eggs on any vertical surface which includes the heaters, needless to say, you do not want that.

HTH

dishpanhands
02-17-2009, 01:20 AM
I put my heater below the level of my water change so it is never on out of the water.

White Worm
02-17-2009, 01:30 AM
Horizontal near the bottom for better distribution of the heat and to keep the discus from laying eggs on it.

richtran08
02-17-2009, 01:34 AM
Thanks for all your ultra fast replies. I keep mine horizontally and centered in my tank. I learned from past experience...lol. I've had the scenario of the egg laying and alot broke a heater while doing a w/c :D