PDA

View Full Version : Overflow Help!

novakovich
02-17-2009, 03:45 PM
I have an new Oceanic aquarium with a built in overflow (one of their reef-ready tanks.) Is there anyone that can supply a crude diagram or description of how the plumbing inside the tank goes together?

I'm desperate...

Thanks

KDodds
02-17-2009, 03:52 PM
The large hole(s) is(are) the drain(s), you can use a standpipe (or not) inside the overflow. This then gets plumbed to the sump (either direct dump or through the wall with another bulkhead). Then you pump (internal or external) from the sump to the smaller return(s). You should have piping and bulkheads for the internal portion of the overflow that came with the tank. If not or it's difficult to understand or figure out, honestly, the best thing to do is to visit a LFS that has this type of setup running, so you can see it in action. Still images and descriptions often fail where "hands on" succeeds. Teh plumbing supplied with the tank is for the inside of the overflow only, anything else you have to purchase and build yourself. If this seems daunting and it's not your intent to go this way, you can simply plug the holes.

novakovich
02-17-2009, 04:23 PM
Thanks KDodds. I bought the tank, which comes with a plumbing kit for the overflow, and an Oceanic sump that also came with all of the necessary parts. I should say, all of the necessary parts except a digram. I've looked at a few diy diagrams, and I'm going to go back to the the lfs. I think I'll be able to figure it out from there. I was confused because I was thinking that the "standpipe" part was supposed to somehow be mounted in a horizontal position. I can't believe how dumb I feel. I've had aquariums for years, since I was a kid, but never had a large one with a sump. I feel like I did when I was first starting out.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

KDodds
02-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Oh, don't feel dumb. Not at all. Rather, look at it as something new and exciting, a chance to learn and have new experiences in a hobby in which things are often the same old same old. Definitely look at it in action, how each part works and why. I remember looking at my first, and I definitely remember how it feels, very "daunting". But, it really is pretty simple once you've "got it", and even more simple when you've done a few. It would be tough for me to get pics of my DIY standpipes, but if you look up "Durso Standpipe" you should hit quite a few DIY links. Again, the standpipe modification is easy once you "get it". Unless you've got ultra-low flow, you are probably going to want to do this to cut down on/eliminate the gurgling noise. I might have some pics of my 450 plumbing, which is a LOT more complicated than you'll need, but I don't know if I have any that are reasonably illustrative.