PDA

View Full Version : Strange Behavior

JFlo
02-18-2009, 10:22 AM
This morning a turned on my lights in the fish tank and everything was normal. All the discus were spread out at the bottom of the tank sleeping. After an hour I put their first feeding in the tank and noone went for it. This is that uncommon because I am trying to break them from FBW. However, my fish normally swim around the tank and today they are hanging out at the top of the tank. Three of the discus and my angel are swimming with their mouths at the surface as if they were eating flake floating, but there is no food there. Anyone have an idea what is going on? Should I be concerned? I might put some FBW to see if they perk up. They appear to be healthy fish. No discoloration, big bellies, clean eyes.

William Palumbo
02-18-2009, 10:27 AM
Sounds like it may be a oxygen issue. All the pumps working? What is the temp. on the tank? Too hot? If everything checks out, maybe a nice big water change for them...Bill

JFlo
02-18-2009, 10:40 AM
Did a water change yesterday and all the numbers were fine when I tested. It looks like my nitrite and my ammonia levels might have raised form 0 to maybe just above zero. On the API liquid test it is very close to the 0 color but possible a touch different, but nowhere near .25. I did add a few plants yesterday but nothing I found drastic. Would a water change help with the O2 levels?

JFlo
02-18-2009, 10:41 AM
Pumps are working and water temp is 86 degrees f. Also, should I angle my output heads on the Eheim to skim the surface more?

Peachtree Discus
02-18-2009, 10:45 AM
i don't know if the new plants could have anything to do with it, but it seems as tho something changed in the water. i would drop a bubble wand into the tank 1st....and look to do a 100%+ wc whenever you can.

JFlo
02-18-2009, 10:47 AM
I dont have a bubble wand, so Ill jump on that water change now :D

William Palumbo
02-18-2009, 10:47 AM
I would try to add some extra aeration to the tank first. Maybe with the addition of the new plants, "something" came in with them? If they do not look better soon, I would change the water again. A lot... to see if that helps. If you need to medicate, usually a big water change is recommended before the treatment...Bill

JFlo
02-18-2009, 10:53 AM
OK thanks. Ill add my power head with the O2 tube on it :D

JFlo
02-18-2009, 12:06 PM
I changed about 30 of the 150 gallons and am now running the powerhead with the O2 hose on it. The fish seem to be returning to normal and have eaten. I have never had a problem with it before but I do put excell in the tank every day. Should I cut back on that for a while?

William Palumbo
02-18-2009, 02:33 PM
Glad to hear that the fish are better. I am not sure about the Excel...but maybe keep the water agitated during the night when the lights are out. Maye too much co2 formed during the night...Bill

JFlo
02-18-2009, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the help :D