PDA

View Full Version : Q- Tank

rwong2k
02-18-2009, 07:59 PM
Dear All,

Here's a simple/silly question, for a quarantine tank for new discus, can we use a rubbermaid bucket or a large plastic bucket as opposed to a tank? or has anyone does this?

I believe wild discus are kept in cement temp. tanks before they are shipped out,

would this matter or would the non see through sides help?

thank-you
Raymond

cc_woman
02-18-2009, 08:10 PM
I have used rubbermaids for QTing african cichlids, but I don't know if I would use it for discus. I personally like to see what my fish are doing, just in case they do come down with any illness after getting them. There are probably others who can tell you for sure if it's a good idea or not :)

rickztahone
02-19-2009, 12:20 AM
i believe theoretically you can but i agree on all points made by cc_woman

Patr1ck
02-19-2009, 06:06 AM
If you used a bucket, how would you know if they have anything happening on their underside? ie. stringy poo, parasite indication...

Pat

Eddie
02-21-2009, 12:33 AM
You could always use one of those somewhat clear storage containers. That would you could still monitor the fish to see if there are any adverse affects.

Eddie

rwong2k
02-24-2009, 10:52 PM
great comments, thanks everyone, it's just a random thought
Currently I have some discus in quarantine for now but it's a bear bottom tank,

I guess my other problem
trying to get these guys to eat flake or blood worms or anything, they haven't ate since I received these discus =(

they're 4.5" discus I've got to fatten up and get them to start eating before I introduce them to my main tank with other discus =)

thanks
Raymond

April
02-24-2009, 11:02 PM
crank the heat up..its cause theres only two... shyer...mine are all eating here. try some white worms .
i think rubbermaid would stress them out.

Patr1ck
02-25-2009, 04:35 AM
great comments, thanks everyone, it's just a random thought
Currently I have some discus in quarantine for now but it's a bear bottom tank,

I guess my other problem
trying to get these guys to eat flake or blood worms or anything, they haven't ate since I received these discus =(

they're 4.5" discus I've got to fatten up and get them to start eating before I introduce them to my main tank with other discus =)

thanks
Raymond

Try bassheads seafood mix mine really love it. It'll fatten them up real quick. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=68857
He also has a 2nd version of this as well.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?p=507035#post507035

Pat

cc_woman
02-27-2009, 10:20 PM
My wild caught discus I got would not eat anything but bw when I first got them, to get them on pellets and flakes I would feed it to them as their very first feeding of the day, that's usually when they are the most hungry. If they won't eat anything, you can also try using garlic guard and soak the food in it, the garlic is supposed to attract them to it.

seanyuki
02-27-2009, 10:31 PM
Hi Raymond,

Nice meeting you at April's place today.... wild brown discus & hope they bring you full of enjoyment.....best time for discus to adapt new food is early morning & no food the previous night..

Cheers
Francis:)

seanyuki
02-27-2009, 10:43 PM
It's is always handy to have a spare tank available .....using it for QT/hospital or even to age water:D

Cheers

rwong2k
02-27-2009, 11:59 PM
Hi seanyuki,
nice to see you at April's today,
yeah the f1 wild browns are eating flake already, just the RSG's aren't so kinda annoying, oh well
I'll try making the seafood mix

thanks

Raymond

rwong2k
02-28-2009, 12:11 AM
crank the heat up..its cause theres only two... shyer...mine are all eating here. try some white worms .
i think rubbermaid would stress them out.

oh opps, they're in a cube breeding tank for now, the rubbermaid was a random thought =)

Yeah i think that's why, there's 4 in there now so it looks better, might add one from my main tank to make it 5 later =) we'll see how things goes for the next couple of days

thanks

Raymond

rwong2k
03-04-2009, 10:27 PM
After a week long hunger strike they're taking flakes like crazy now, pretty good sign! going to introduce them to my main tank soon, =)

Raymond

seanyuki
03-04-2009, 11:02 PM
H Raymond,

Those Wild Browns you bought last week require to be in quarantine period for 6 weeks b4 introducing them to the main tank.Better play safe.

Cheers

After a week long hunger strike they're taking flakes like crazy now, pretty good sign! going to introduce them to my main tank soon, =)

Raymond