PDA

View Full Version : Water flow?

ChiefZero
02-21-2009, 01:30 AM
OK I know that discus like to have calm waters in their tank. My question is how much is calm, and what should I get to increase this flow if needed.
In my 30 gallon I have 2 small discus with a air stone and a marineland 350b penquin.
Should a power head be added?

thanks
ChiefZero

Eddie
02-21-2009, 01:32 AM
No way, the 350 is alot of flow actually. I had 2 on my 55 and it was way over kill. I've since taken them off and use only sponges. It really takes stress off the fish. Even if the fish seem happy, they are constantly trying to keep themselves upright with all that flow.

Eddie

ChiefZero
02-21-2009, 01:41 AM
Really!?! My sword plant that is only 4-5 inches lower that the outflow barely moves.
Ok should I probably try to disrupt flow with som sort of obstacle...no real ideals yet but if need It can be done. :)
I actually just changed my filter from my angel's tank whish was the 350 that is know on the discus tank but my old on filter that was on the discus tank was the 150 model. I did this because, as you may have heard, my discus are sick so I was trying to clean the water alot.

So overkill? :( all that work. hehe whatever

thanks
ChiefZero

Eddie
02-21-2009, 01:56 AM
I mean it probably isn't gonna kill them but it can stress them. Stress in dicsus leads to many other things.

Eddie

Patr1ck
02-21-2009, 04:55 AM
I agree the 350 is overkill. Use something half that size. Keep your water clean by doing more water changes than you usually do. The best and first medication when discus get sick should be lots of big water changes. If problems are still present then use meds.:)

Pat

Eddie
02-21-2009, 06:03 AM
I agree the 350 is overkill. Use something half that size. Keep your water clean by doing more water changes than you usually do. The best and first medication when discus get sick should be lots of big water changes. If problems are still present then use meds.:)

Pat

Very true Pat, well said.

Eddie

Dutch dude
02-21-2009, 10:17 AM
I use an in tank pump driven large sponge filter with 2 small Eheim micro pumps that pump abouth 520 gallon an hour (260 each),.....on a 75 gallon tank. The output of the filter is rather high but the flow is still moderate. One pump is connected to a L shaped spray bar (PVC electric tubing) with a lot of larger hole's of each 1/6 inch in diameter. This way the water beams from the spray bare aren't high rated and the pump will produce it's maximum output becouse there isn't a lot of resistance. The output of the second pump is pointed to the (DIY structured) background so the water beam will be diffused. The fish aren't bothered by the flow and defenately not stressed by it. So output of a pump or filter is one thing but flow in the tank can still be low or moderate with a high output level. Your filter is a HOB filter right? There might be a possibility to diffuse the output. You could hang some driftwood in front of the output (nice cover for your fish as well). The flow problem is easier to adjust with pumps and canisters dough.

White Worm
02-21-2009, 10:56 AM
I would have to agree that flow doesnt seem to bother my discus or stress them out. I'm sure they wouldnt like to live in white water rapids but my return from the XP3 is wide open. They even park themselves under the new water coming in during a water change. They get shook up and come back for more. Afterwards they dont seem too worse the wear. They even seem to enjoy it.

Eddie
02-21-2009, 11:22 AM
I've just always noticed a huge difference in my fish when taking away the turbulence. So even though your fish may seem like they are happy, try taking away that flow and see if they act differently. My fish were always doing fine in the flow but not having the water movement really brought my fish up front all the time, all day. It's different for everyone, and every fish.

Eddie

ChiefZero
02-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Ok thanks. I will probably slow the speed a little. Right know I need to work out this sickness.

Thanks again
ChiefZero

White Worm
02-21-2009, 01:54 PM
I've just always noticed a huge difference in my fish when taking away the turbulence. So even though your fish may seem like they are happy, try taking away that flow and see if they act differently. My fish were always doing fine in the flow but not having the water movement really brought my fish up front all the time, all day. It's different for everyone, and every fish.

Eddie

Yeah, I guess it depends on the tank size too. Not too much turbulence in my 85g or the 75g from just the XP3 return. I also had a 12in bubble bar running across the back of the tank once and no kidding.....they would almost line up to swim the complete length through the bubbles.

Eddie
02-21-2009, 06:34 PM
Tank size makes a difference for sure. The 350 has pretty good flow, even in 55 it threw the fish around so I can see it stressing the fish out if they are in a 30.

Good luck
Eddie

ChiefZero
02-21-2009, 08:35 PM
ok thanks

Kratz
02-21-2009, 10:15 PM
You also need to consider the difference between the volume of the flow, and the velocity of the flow.

High volume through the filters with lower velocity of the flow is what's most desireable.

I use a spray bar instead of single outlet return. The standard holes in the spray bar were 1/8 inch. This increased the velocity of the flow, so I drilled them out to 3/16 of an inch. Still moving the same amount of water, but the velocity coming out of the return is slower due to the larger openings.