PDA

View Full Version : What to do when on vacation

fishyj
02-21-2009, 10:38 PM
Hi all, I was wondering what you do while on a vacation. I have no one that could do water changes. I will have an auto feeder so foods not a problem. My concern is the water quality for 7 days. Could I set it for only 1 or 2 feedings a day while gone.

poconogal
02-21-2009, 10:54 PM
Do you have juvies? If they are NOT juvies, you don't need to feed them. Its only a week and they will be fine without food for a week. Or with the auto feeder, you can set it to feed one light feeding a day. Do you normally use your autofeeder and know it will work properly while you are away? If you've not used it before, it will be a very good idea to test it well beforehand to make sure it dispenses properly. The worst thing would be if the auto feeder malfunctions while you are away and dumps a ton of food in the water. I think most people opt to not feed for shorter periods of time and that way they maintain water quality.

Al M.
02-21-2009, 10:57 PM
how many fish ? how big of tank ? how old are your fish ? and what are you feeding ? need answers to those questions before we can give you an answer...

Al M.
02-21-2009, 11:04 PM
Opps Connie beat me to it but I still might be able to add something ....

fishyj
02-22-2009, 12:10 AM
how many fish ? how big of tank ? how old are your fish ? and what are you feeding ? need answers to those questions before we can give you an answer...

10 to 12 juvies, 125 gallon tank, 2 to 3months old and feeding flakes seafood mix, pellets

Eddie
02-22-2009, 12:45 AM
I myself would feed them once a day with the autofeeder and not worry about it.

I went away for 7 days, left 14 discus in a 55 and my wife fed them once a day. The discus were 3-5", so everything was pretty snug in the tank. LOL

They'll be fine

Eddie

Patr1ck
02-22-2009, 04:51 AM
Hi all, I was wondering what you do while on a vacation. I have no one that could do water changes. I will have an auto feeder so foods not a problem. My concern is the water quality for 7 days. Could I set it for only 1 or 2 feedings a day while gone.

Your ideas are good ones. Feeding only once per day would suffice. Change the water the day before you go and then again the day you get back. Theyll be just fine when you come home.

Pat

fishyj
02-22-2009, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the info.

Al M.
02-22-2009, 11:50 PM
Jim

Do what Eddie has suggested, better to under feed alittle, to be safe......