PDA

View Full Version : Sponge filter retrofit?

Patr1ck
02-23-2009, 06:09 AM
Would anybody recommend plumbing a sponge filter to a small hob filter intake in a 29 gal breeder?

Thanks,
Pat

Eddie
02-23-2009, 07:21 AM
Would anybody recommend plumbing a sponge filter to a small hob filter intake in a 29 gal breeder?

Thanks,
Pat

You mean as a prefilter? :confused:

Eddie

Patr1ck
02-23-2009, 07:53 AM
I guess so. Or as an additional filter to the biological one in the hob. I already have the hob on the tank. I was thinking that if I just bought the sponge filter and plumbed it, I could save some money on having to buy an additional air pump and, it would be an acceptable idea for raising fry.

Pat

Eddie
02-23-2009, 08:02 AM
The only thing I can think of is that the pre-filter (sponge) will get pretty dirty. It's something you would have to clean daily I think. If you don't mind it, sounds alright. I use to use the filtermax prefilters on my HOBs and I did use them as an additional filter/prefilter. I just wrang them out daily in the tank water that I siphoned out.

HTH
Eddie

Patr1ck
02-23-2009, 08:05 AM
The only thing I can think of is that the pre-filter (sponge) will get pretty dirty. It's something you would have to clean daily I think...

HTH
Eddie

Is this because of the larger flow rate of the hob over the air driven sponge?

Thanks,
Pat

Eddie
02-23-2009, 08:15 AM
Is this because of the larger flow rate of the hob over the air driven sponge?

Thanks,
Pat

I'd say yes. The thing is, anything that is allowed to collect in the sponge and just decompose there is going kill you water quality. Even if you did a huge water change, having a chunk of food rotting on the sponge will affect the water fast so you always want to get that prefilter as clean as possible.

HTH
Eddie