PDA

View Full Version : media trumps output?

marnold
02-25-2009, 01:04 AM
I have been looking to replace a Mganum 350 on my 90 g.I can get a decent deal on a ehiem 2224.In comparing the two.I first lookedat output and the mag is 350 to the ehiem 's 265 I think.But the media of the 350 is 15 oz.To the ehiems 2 liters!My question is does the amount of media trump output.I think it does but want some imput.Plus the ehiems seems to have far less blow by in the chamber.

Eddie
02-25-2009, 01:18 AM
Hey there Marnold, I really wish I could tell you the answer to your question but I will say that I would choose the Eheim over the magnum. Not that I don't like marineland but I think Eheim is on a whole other level as far as quality. I have owned both brands in other equipment and I really like Eheim. My wallet doesn't like Eheim though. LOL

Best of luck with the choice,

Eddie

KDodds
02-25-2009, 08:38 AM
Funny thing there... output... the more time the media is in contact with the water, the more efficient the filter. But that's double-edged. The more contact time in the filter, the less being taken in from the tank. If you throughput too fast, though, back into the tank goes what you'd hoped to filter out. Sooo... less media, faster throughput probably will never win over more media slower throughput as a broad generalization, given similar methods in terms of efficiency.

Eddie
02-25-2009, 08:45 AM
Funny thing there... output... the more time the media is in contact with the water, the more efficient the filter. But that's double-edged. The more contact time in the filter, the less being taken in from the tank. If you throughput too fast, though, back into the tank goes what you'd hoped to filter out. Sooo... less media, faster throughput probably will never win over more media slower throughput as a broad generalization, given similar methods in terms of efficiency.

That definitely makes sense. Go with the Eheim marnold! ;)

Eddie

brewmaster15
02-25-2009, 08:51 AM
Be sure to consider surface area of the media... every media has a different surface area....and thats what the biological filters grows on provided theres enough flow to carry enough oxygen and wastes to the filter bed.

hth,
al

KDodds
02-25-2009, 08:58 AM
Be sure to consider surface area of the media... every media has a different surface area....and thats what the biological filters grows on provided theres enough flow to carry enough oxygen and wastes to the filter bed.

hth,
al

^^^^ What he said. Actually EhfiSubstrat is about the highest SA in readily available, off the shelf, canister media. Although I've heard of it clogging in some canisters (usually non-Eheim), I haven't found this to be the case. Rinsing regularly probably helps. ;)

marnold
02-25-2009, 11:11 AM
Thanks guys!I agree completly.The 2224 is rated for a 65 g.But I figure if its more efficient at filtering and not just simply moving water it will be fine.Plus there is a ac 500 on it as well.

erikc
02-26-2009, 04:26 AM
The output given by manufacturers is usually with an empty canister (go figure :D ) .

I only use Eheim now, having used many other brands beacuse they last longer and have the lowest energy consumption. This point is really important, when a filter runs 24/24 and 7/7 for ten years ;); The extra cost for the filter is actually quickly paid back.

A high output just rinses the filter media which is not beneficial, the flow should be adapted to the size of the tank, approx. 2 vol/h.

The best filter media is fritted glass, most brands have a version of media of this type. All of my filters run on this media and the results are surprising.

The best option is to adjust the flow on the output, this isn't so easy and usually involves a lot of trial and error which is best done before the fish are in the tank ;)