PDA

View Full Version : Sump question

foundanewglory
02-26-2009, 02:46 PM
Hi guys,

I found a sump on craigslist and I was wondering what was what. I drew circles around the items I have questions on. I know the T shaped pvc is where water goes to when it overflows but I thought it was only a straight pipe...Why is a T shape? Not really sure what the middle thing is...... and the two end pvc pipes...not a clue i know one is for the return...no? lol

Thanks for your help! Also it is a 41gal acryllic sump.

jeff@zina.com
02-27-2009, 05:07 PM
My guess, for what it's worth, is the Tee takes two inputs from a large tank. The lower left ending in half a union is probably the return, if not a drain, and the valved part is probably an inlet for fresh water.

Jeff

ApacheDan
02-27-2009, 05:32 PM
Let me take a guess.....the T is because this setup was under a cabinet and the tank had two overflows, one at each end. The "thing" in the middle would be perfect to place additives in circulation, like peat moss. The two pvc pieces at the end....one will be the return....the lower one to flush out the muck that builds in the wet dry without taking it apart...:D

salth20
02-27-2009, 07:25 PM
From L-R. The gate valve would indicate a fine flow control from an external protein skimmer back into the sump for me. Then, this is the output of the sump into an external pump for tank return. The toothed box in the middle almost looks like 1/2 of a siphon box that would be in the tank itself. Does this item come out of the sump, and can you post another pic of it? The T is sump input that would receive the water from two drains in the aquarium. A great find, and easily convertable/usable for a discus tank. Keep us posted!

foundanewglory
02-27-2009, 10:56 PM
all of you are correct!

I went to pick it up after work today and I asked him. He took forever to respond to my emails, I actually thought he wasn't home after I drove for an 1hr! He did know I was coming though but his wife finally answered the door.

The T valve is for two intakes and the square box, which he called the gateway is for additives, carbon or whatever else comes to mind. Then the last two are the returns and the water changer/drainer.

Very awesome find! he did have a 68 gallon sump with his 210 he was selling but someone wanted the sump with the setup..... oh well I'm happy, this is going to be for my 150 setup.

foundanewglory
03-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Tonight I am going shopping and so far I have on my list

checkvalve
pvc elbows
pvc pipes
teflon tape
flex tubing for the return pump
ball check valves....errr anything I missed???

Ed13
03-06-2009, 09:41 PM
Tonight I am going shopping and so far I have on my list

checkvalve
pvc elbows
pvc pipes
teflon tape
flex tubing for the return pump
ball check valves....errr anything I missed???
Tip: Checkvalves will eventually fail, so make them threaded ones so that you can easily repair. Same for ball valves, although they will last much longer, unless they are used very frequently.

I have no clue what you want so I can't comment on the shopping list, but the ball check valves makes me think. It'll be more expensive than separate ball valve and check valve, won't it?:confused:

foundanewglory
03-07-2009, 01:53 AM
Well, I'm basically just winging it. THis is my first time doing a sump and putting together the plumbing part. So far I have learned quite a bit, more so about the little pieces. I am actually in the process right now... ehhhhh .:confused: let's just say I will be back at lowe's/home depot tommorow lol.

foundanewglory
03-07-2009, 01:41 PM
Hi guys I have been using this thread to get an idea of how to plumb the sump http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=49139 but I was wondering what they used for the return pump (how it connects and so forth) does anyone have an idea? It looks like an adapter that you can screw on/take off. I have a mag 12 pump...

foundanewglory
03-14-2009, 03:00 AM
Any ideas on how to cover the hole on the bottom left hand side. I took out the hardware in it so I could use the bulkhead head for the tank.

First I tried capping it with the hardware still attached. Then took it apart to use the bulkhead.

ehhh not really sure what to use. I've spent a re-donk-u-lous amount on PVC things...jeez i thought these things were like 25 cents at most 1.00

Also the hole is an inch and a half.

KDodds
03-14-2009, 08:56 AM
Put in a FPT bulkhead and get a MPT cap, easiest way.

foundanewglory
03-14-2009, 01:01 PM
I looked up the parts and one of them is almost 20 bucks..yikes. I was thinking about making another faucet water change since the way the sump will be placed the nozzle will face the wall.

I'm thinking about taking the whole thing to Lowe's and seeing what can be done..... :confused: