PDA

View Full Version : Do fish get full?

JFlo
02-26-2009, 06:53 PM
I have been feeding my discus 5 - 7 times per day a mix of foods. For the most part they ravage the food every feeding. Today, they have barely eaten, if at all. I did a 50% water change and tested the water ... its fine. Do they have days where they just dont eat much, or should I be concerned?

Eddie
02-26-2009, 07:00 PM
I have been feeding my discus 5 - 7 times per day a mix of foods. For the most part they ravage the food every feeding. Today, they have barely eaten, if at all. I did a 50% water change and tested the water ... its fine. Do they have days where they just dont eat much, or should I be concerned?

No, they don't, unless you medicated, or there are rapid changes in water parameters, or they ate bad food, or they are ill.

They should eat consistently everyday. Sometimes they will go off there food when spawning but not too sure if both do.

Are all your fish off their food?

Eddie

JFlo
02-26-2009, 07:09 PM
A few of them are picking at it, but for the most part they arent eating. Everything in the water is fine, the havent been medicated, they have been eating the same bunch of food for over a month now, and I dont see any signs of being sick. They pretty much seem normal except they are not eating.

Eddie
02-26-2009, 07:15 PM
A few of them are picking at it, but for the most part they arent eating. Everything in the water is fine, the havent been medicated, they have been eating the same bunch of food for over a month now, and I dont see any signs of being sick. They pretty much seem normal except they are not eating.

If they are not eating, it's not normal. If you can, try bring the temp up higher around 88-90. I would monitor them for any other changes, like the onset of disease of sorts. Keep a close eye on them.

Eddie

JFlo
02-26-2009, 07:18 PM
The tank is always at 86 degreed f, but I turned it up a few like you suggested. Just to see what happens, I threw in two cubes of FBW ... because they always go for that and they tore it up :D Ill try their flake food in a couple hours. At least they at something, even if it was just FBW. Makes me feel a bit better.

Eddie
02-26-2009, 07:20 PM
The tank is always at 86 degreed f, but I turned it up a few like you suggested. Just to see what happens, I threw in two cubes of FBW ... because they always go for that and they tore it up :D Ill try their flake food in a couple hours. At least they at something, even if it was just FBW. Makes me feel a bit better.

Yes, eating something is definitely a good thing. There hunger will increase with the temp and since they just ate, they should be very hungry later today.

Best of luck
Eddie

Tito
02-26-2009, 07:21 PM
One of my youngins stopped eating all of a sudden. The rest of teh bunch were doing fine. He did this for two days.

Ya know what I did....

I went to the LFS and bought some Live Black Worms and ....

Walla - everybody ate including the one that stopped eating. Now he is back to eating.

I did that on a hunch and my hunch was right. He got bored!

Not bad for a 25 poster huh.

JFlo
02-26-2009, 07:24 PM
LOL @ getting bored. I guess they arent like me. I can eat certain foods all the time (ie. Chinese, Greek, Pizza, etc.) Maybe Ill throw some dalmatas in there hehe. :p

Eddie
02-26-2009, 07:27 PM
One of my youngins stopped eating all of a sudden. The rest of teh bunch were doing fine. He did this for two days.

Ya know what I did....

I went to the LFS and bought some Live Black Worms and ....

Walla - everybody ate including the one that stopped eating. Now he is back to eating.

I did that on a hunch and my hunch was right. He got bored!

Not bad for a 25 poster huh.

Good call Tito, they do tend to take live food when being stubborn. I don't feed my fish live foods. ;)

Eddie

Eddie
02-26-2009, 07:31 PM
LOL @ getting bored. I guess they arent like me. I can eat certain foods all the time (ie. Chinese, Greek, Pizza, etc.) Maybe Ill throw some dalmatas in there hehe. :p

Yeah! Or some chicken tikka, a little dal sambar and nan bread! Yum

JFlo
02-26-2009, 07:43 PM
Good call Tito, they do tend to take live food when being stubborn. I don't feed my fish live foods. ;)

Eddie

So saith the king of the $20 fresh fish food cube.

Eddie
02-26-2009, 07:55 PM
A little less than 20, more like 8 bucks a mix. ;)

scottthomas
02-26-2009, 08:23 PM
I feed my fish a wide variety of foods several times a day-flake, bh mix, fbw, pellets etc. However, I have seen them get picky if I get lazy and feed too much fbw or bh too many times in a row. I think they sometimes get spoiled and try to wait till they get what they want since they are not exactly starving:). I just dont give in to them and they go back to eating everything again. So, it can be normal to refuse a certain type food once in a while.

Scott

aquadiva
02-26-2009, 08:35 PM
Every single time I go near my aquarium, my Discus all come flying over to me for MORE food. I swear they would eat 20 times a day if I fed them that often. So, if they are not eating, I would say something is off. :confused:

Anna:sun:

JFlo
02-26-2009, 08:56 PM
Well the FBW must have got them back in the mood. I just gave them some dried mysis and flake and they ate it up :D

Eddie
02-26-2009, 09:28 PM
Did the fish not eat after the water change or was it just after turning in the lights? They sound fine now.

Eddie

JFlo
02-26-2009, 09:35 PM
They werent eating before and after the water change, but seem to be coming around. Ill post again tomorrow morning with what they did between now and then.

Eddie
02-26-2009, 09:35 PM
Cool

Tito
02-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Thanks Eddie!

IMO Discus can be crazy - like your girlfriend - sometimes they feel like a nut and sometimes they dont!

Seriously - I think it's like previously stated - they can get to used to a particular food even though my little fella just seem to have gotten bored for some reason. Sparked up after some live worms. Agreed Eddie - I don't like to feed live foods. Blackworms from California are pretty safe though - very good reputation.

Eddie
02-26-2009, 10:17 PM
Thanks Eddie!

IMO Discus can be crazy - like your girlfriend - sometimes they feel like a nut and sometimes they dont!

Seriously - I think it's like previously stated - they can get to used to a particular food even though my little fella just seem to have gotten bored for some reason. Sparked up after some live worms. Agreed Eddie - I don't like to feed live foods. Blackworms from California are pretty safe though - very good reputation.

Never had a fish get bored with food. My mix can be fed all day everyday and they eat it like it's the last time they are gonna eat.

They do get a supplementation from ON flakes but not too often. The mix is the punch for vigor, health, strength, color and growth. Complete development in all areas. LOL

There will always be that one time with live foods IMO. But I know they are popular. Everybody has a feeding preference that works well.

Best of luck
Eddie

JFlo
02-26-2009, 11:24 PM
I have a batch of your food in the fridge and my fish are slowly starting to like it. It has been a few weeks and at first they wouldnt touch it. Now about half the fish will pick at it and eat about half a cube. However, the clown loach thinks its the best thing ever. I hope that some day they will all tear it up because I want them all to be big fat pigs in water :D

Eddie
02-26-2009, 11:26 PM
Me too!

JFlo
02-26-2009, 11:32 PM
If for some reason they dont take to it ... at least Ill have a giant loach on ym hands.

Eddie
02-26-2009, 11:35 PM
If for some reason they dont take to it ... at least Ill have a giant loach on ym hands.

If you followed the recipe, they should be killing it. It's strange how there have been some mixed results. It's gotta be in the ingredients. Everything I use is fresh except the peas or spinach. hhhmmmm

And yes, a SUPER big loach

Eddie

JFlo
02-26-2009, 11:43 PM
I followed the recipe you posted exactly. Not sure why they dont go for it. The only frozen product I used was spinach. Everything was bought fresh the day I made it.

Eddie
02-27-2009, 12:04 AM
I followed the recipe you posted exactly. Not sure why they dont go for it. The only frozen product I used was spinach. Everything was bought fresh the day I made it.

Interesting...:confused:

JFlo
02-27-2009, 12:16 AM
Next time I make it I might use a whole ripe banana. It seems as they eat it they spit it out and it gets a bit cloudy with debris in the tank. Not sure what else I could do to add some spice for the little guys.

Eddie
02-27-2009, 12:28 AM
Next time I make it I might use a whole ripe banana. It seems as they eat it they spit it out and it gets a bit cloudy with debris in the tank. Not sure what else I could do to add some spice for the little guys.

http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?p=508635#post508635

JFlo
02-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Just an update. The fish are eating great again today, but still will only pick at your fish recipe a bit. Is it normal for a discus to take a bit, chew it, then spit some out? Also, the ones who do pick at it seem to get a little agro while the food is in the tank. Wish this would translate to them devouring it.

White Worm
02-27-2009, 02:39 PM
Nothing like adding some live food to the diet once in a while to get a discus interested in eating. I have used White Worms and they just go nuts when I drop them in the tank. Cleanest food around.

JFlo
02-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Indeed. I just wish my Discus werent so picky. They have never eaten frozen brine, frozen beefheart, and only pick at the seafood mixture. I guess it could be worse. I just want to make sure they get all the nutrition they can. Right now they eat FBW on occasion, dried misis shrimp, and ON flake.

Eddie
02-27-2009, 07:04 PM
Indeed. I just wish my Discus werent so picky. They have never eaten frozen brine, frozen beefheart, and only pick at the seafood mixture. I guess it could be worse. I just want to make sure they get all the nutrition they can. Right now they eat FBW on occasion, dried misis shrimp, and ON flake.

Dried Mysis and ON flake is a pretty good diet. Getting them on the mix will beef them up but as long as they are taking the mysis and flake, they are getting a good diet. Shouldn't be too worried, they will come around.

Eddie

JFlo
02-27-2009, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the reassurance :D