PDA

View Full Version : xp3 stocking?

rickztahone
03-05-2009, 02:49 AM
i just got another xp3 thanks to a fellow member (bs6749, Bryan). i currently have the 4 black sponges on the bottom basket, ceramic rings in the middle and filter floss in the top basket. with the addition of the second one i was wondering if i should put more of a particular media like ceramic rings for the bio maybe? this is for a 125g btw and i will have somewhat of a heavy load. also, i'm changing out my filter floss every month and rinsing it every two weeks, is that enough or should i clean it more often? thx in advance for any help

rickztahone
03-05-2009, 01:04 PM
anyone?

BABYJIZAY
03-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Well, I have an XP3 set up almost the same way as you. Foam in bottom, rings/stars in the middle, then some more rings and two micro filtration pads on top. I just bought an XP2 to add to the same tank as I plan to be overstocked a bit. For that reason I plan to just add a 50 micron pad and then fill it with rings to handle the load. Trial and error here.

rickztahone
03-05-2009, 05:04 PM
Well, I have an XP3 set up almost the same way as you. Foam in bottom, rings/stars in the middle, then some more rings and two micro filtration pads on top. I just bought an XP2 to add to the same tank as I plan to be overstocked a bit. For that reason I plan to just add a 50 micron pad and then fill it with rings to handle the load. Trial and error here.
yeah i was thinking more ceramic rings for the second one but wanted to check with the experts here ;). i also have the micro pad at the top, forgot to add that. i bought a pack of 6 because people say you can't rinse that out and needs to be replaced.

White Worm
03-05-2009, 09:16 PM
I used the stars in all levels with no problems. Of course I have the 4 sponges at the bottom and the filter floss at the top to go along with the stars.

rickztahone
03-05-2009, 11:03 PM
I used the stars in all levels with no problems. Of course I have the 4 sponges at the bottom and the filter floss at the top to go along with the stars.

out of the .99
stars
ceramic rings
bio balls
eheim substrat
which is better? im assuming the substrat has the most surface area? i will go buy some bio media tomorrow. white worm can you clarify about using stars on all levels? do you mean the whole canister was full of just stars or that you have switched them up in different levels alongside the sponges and filter floss

captain morgan
05-02-2009, 09:15 AM
Hey Rick: Have you ever tried using the prefilter noodles in your filters? They look like bio media, but are for mechanical filtration instead. In both of my Rena filters I have them set up like this, starting at the bottom prefilter noodles, foams, bio media, filter floss. When I do my filter cleanings I am amazed at how much crap is kept in the bottom of my canister and not passed on to the sponges to stop and clog, all because of those noodles- they work great. The ones by Ehiem do a better job then the Hagen brand I found because of their shape. Try them-You"ll love them.

rickztahone
05-02-2009, 11:46 AM
Hey Rick: Have you ever tried using the prefilter noodles in your filters? They look like bio media, but are for mechanical filtration instead. In both of my Rena filters I have them set up like this, starting at the bottom prefilter noodles, foams, bio media, filter floss. When I do my filter cleanings I am amazed at how much crap is kept in the bottom of my canister and not passed on to the sponges to stop and clog, all because of those noodles- they work great. The ones by Ehiem do a better job then the Hagen brand I found because of their shape. Try them-You"ll love them.

well i have both my xp3's stocked this way from down up:
Black sponge filter pads 4 total
ceramic rings for bio
filter floss and micro filter pad for polishing.

so far i have not had a problem with this setup and it keeps the tank really clean. granted, i do not have a huge load right now but it still does a great job IMO. thanks for the input