PDA

View Full Version : Water conditioner help please

DiscusChris
03-07-2009, 12:23 AM
Hi everybody. Ive been searching a bit and cant seem to find an answer.

I use Genesis for getting my tap water ready for my tank. I purchased it when I lived in Va, and now that the bottle is almost empty Im having trouble finding a substitute.

I need a conditioner that DOESNT "coat" or "protect and heal" or any of that stuff, right?? Or can I use any conditioner? Any help would be greatly appreciated, Ive got a breeding pair on the way and want to be prepared.

Thanks guys

Eddie
03-07-2009, 12:28 AM
Hi everybody. Ive been searching a bit and cant seem to find an answer.

I use Genesis for getting my tap water ready for my tank. I purchased it when I lived in Va, and now that the bottle is almost empty Im having trouble finding a substitute.

I need a conditioner that DOESNT "coat" or "protect and heal" or any of that stuff, right?? Or can I use any conditioner? Any help would be greatly appreciated, Ive got a breeding pair on the way and want to be prepared.

Thanks guys

Really depends on what's in your water but I would recommend Seachem Prime or a product called Ultimate.

Eddie

DiscusChris
03-07-2009, 12:43 AM
Really depends on what's in your water but I would recommend Seachem Prime or a product called Ultimate.

Eddie

Doesnt the prime add slimecoat? I thought you were not supposed to use those type of water treatments. Do I have wrong info here?

Eddie
03-07-2009, 12:47 AM
Doesnt the prime add slimecoat? I thought you were not supposed to use those type of water treatments. Do I have wrong info here?

Yeah, I've used Prime from the very beginning. It's the best IMO.

Eddie

DiscusChris
03-07-2009, 12:56 AM
Well thanks a bunch Eddie, not only did you answer my question but you did so in record time! lol

Ill pick some up tomorrow!

Eddie
03-07-2009, 01:30 AM
Well thanks a bunch Eddie, not only did you answer my question but you did so in record time! lol

Ill pick some up tomorrow!

I tend to do that. ;)

Take care and all the best with your fish

Eddie

Ibanez540r
03-07-2009, 05:20 AM
As Eddie mentioned ULTIMATE. Supposedly equal to Prime. I was recommended to it by the owner of this company who swears by it.

http://www.jehmco.com/

Can't beat $30 for a GALLON of water conditioner that covers everything. Dechlor, ammonia detox, nitrite detox, heavy metal detox, slime, etc. etc. etc.

Elite Aquaria
03-07-2009, 09:08 AM
I use ClorAm-X from Jehmco...

DiscusChris
03-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Wow that Prime stinks!

MostlyDiscus
03-08-2009, 09:20 PM
I bought five gallons from John at Jemhco as well. Both prime or ultimate will work just fine. Fast Eddie strikes again.:thumbsup:

Ed

poconogal
03-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Wow that Prime stinks!

Hahahaaa, smells almost like rotten eggs, but works well. I only use it if I need to control some ammonia in a QT tank or something, since I'm on my own well so no chlorine, etc., but it still does a good job. First time I tried it I thought it was bad or something! LOL!

aquadiva
03-08-2009, 09:37 PM
I bought five gallons from John at Jemhco as well. Both prime or ultimate will work just fine. Fast Eddie strikes again.:thumbsup:

Ed

I have well water and use Prime, it sure does stink like rotten eggs!!:vomit: Would Ultimate be better for well water or doesn't it matter??

Anna:sun:

poconogal
03-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Anna, I don't think it makes make a difference. Maybe Ultimate smells better??? :D Or is less expensive??? Either thing would be an improvement, right??? LOL!!

seanyuki
03-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Hi Connie,

Try ChorAm-X and it's powder form....no rotten egg smell:D

Cheers
Francis:)

Anna, I don't think it makes make a difference. Maybe Ultimate smells better??? :D Or is less expensive??? Either thing would be an improvement, right??? LOL!!

poconogal
03-08-2009, 09:49 PM
Thanks Francis, LOL!!!!

aquadiva
03-08-2009, 09:50 PM

Thanks Connie. I never used to use anything with well water but someone said I should still use a conditioner like Prime even though I do not have chlorinated water. I'm not sure if it is necessary really.:confused: but I suppose it cannot hurt. I'll check into "Ultimate" maybe less stinky!!:p

poconogal
03-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Anna, actually its not necessary with well water. We have no chlorine or chloramine so we don't need conditioner for that. If anything is needed, it would be something more like a heavy metal remover, and I don't use that either since I do have very good water and Prime does not deal with heavy metals according to the label.

aquadiva
03-08-2009, 10:08 PM
Anna, actually its not necessary with well water. We have no chlorine or chloramine so we don't need conditioner for that. If anything is needed, it would be something more like a heavy metal remover, and I don't use that either since I do have very good water and Prime does not deal with heavy metals according to the label.

The company that makes Prime told me that it would still benefit my water, HA! I'm such a sucker at times!!:hat:

poconogal
03-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Actually, the one thing I just thought of that Prime would be useful for in well water is if we had nitrates in it. Some well water does have nitrate. Mine doesn't so again, no conditioner.

aquadiva
03-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Actually, the one thing I just though of that Prime would be useful for in well water is if we had nitrates in it. Some well water does have nitrate. Mine doesn't so again, no conditioner.

Interesting,:cool: I'll test my water out of the tap for nitrates before I completely delete Prime from my next shopping list!

Ibanez540r
03-09-2009, 06:18 AM
Ultimate does not have an odor and I do believe it removes hard metals...

poconogal
03-09-2009, 09:01 AM
Ibanez thanks, I'm going to check into that, no stink is preferable. I recently used Prime in my QT with no carbon and the water actually smelled like the Prime.

DiscusChris
03-09-2009, 11:16 AM
The sulfur smell of Prime goes away almost instantly when I mix it with my aged water bucket. I would hate it if the whole aquarium smelled like that!

Eyecandy
03-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Hi.. I have well water but still use prime all the time.. The smell is only when coming out of the bottle.. the tanks never smell.. And with well water you never know what's gonna be in it altho you'd like to think it's pretty good.. I guess I just feel better safe than sorry.. Sue:D

DiscusChris
03-10-2009, 10:45 AM
Are you still in Ga Sue? I thought you were moving away.

big mike 13
03-10-2009, 12:34 PM
so is ultimate and prime both on the "same level" of removing harmful additives? ultimate is half the price of prime, i guess i may go with that after my prime runs out.

kaceyo
03-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Hi guy's.
Does anyone happen to know how much ammonia Cloram-X detoxifies when used at 1/4tsp per 10gals? I have some ordered and can't find that particular bit of info about it.
With AmQuel+, 1tsp will detox 1.2ppm, with Ammo Lock 1tsp will detox 3.0ppm per 10gals, etc etc.
So whats the figure with Cloram-X?
Thanks,

Kacey

MostlyDiscus
03-10-2009, 05:09 PM
Kaceyo, If you are buying from Jemhco you can call John there. He has good info on his products. One thing John mentioned about ultimate is that it adds slime protection in the water vs other products that irritate the fishes skin to produce thier own slime. Less stress.

Ed

kaceyo
03-11-2009, 12:42 PM
Thanks Ed. Turns out the bucket it comes in has the info needed to figure it out. In case anyone is wondering, each 1/4 tsp (1.2grams) detoxes 1ppm ammonia from 10gals.
So, while it takes 3/4 tsp of Cloram X to detox 3ppm ammo from 10 gals, it takes 1 tsp of Ammo Lock to do the same thing. That's only 1/4 tsp less of the C-X powder needed than A-Lock liquid to get the same results. Not as much more consentrated as I thought.
The bucket didn't have info on how much chlorine it detoxes per dose so I couldn't make that comparison to a liquid product.

Kacey