PDA

View Full Version : Storing Water

Runningfish
03-08-2009, 05:01 PM
What is the best way to store water and then to use it in your tanks? Should I put it in a big tank and treat it, or what?

cyberhog05
03-08-2009, 09:38 PM
I use Rubbermaid garbage cans. I have a dolly under them with wheels so I can have it in another room with my RO and then I can wheel it to any of my tanks. It works great and its cheap.:D I also use a cheap walmart air pump to aerate it and a heater to get it to tank temp. Depending on your water you may need to treat for chlorine and other unwanted crap. Maybe try some Prime by seachem. There are many others to use. Im sure sombody will chime in with others

KDodds
03-09-2009, 08:17 AM
Ditto, an array of 4 35g Rubbermaid roughnecks here too, 5 if you count the auto top-off through the Nilsen reactor for my 450 (marine). Two hold fresh water, and two hold salt water.

Chad Hughes
03-09-2009, 09:30 AM
What is the best way to store water and then to use it in your tanks? Should I put it in a big tank and treat it, or what?

I guess it depends on what kind of space you have. I keep a 110 gallon plastic water tank in the garage for my show tanks. It's plumbed with pvc to a spa pump and a garden hose. When I am ready to change water I add prime, turn on the pump and take the hose in to the house. I change water as needed and the tank refills itself automatically. I use an RO unit with a float shutoff in that tank. To get the right mix of RO/tap, I simply add 10 gallons of tap water filtered through a carbon block. Works pretty nicely!

Best wishes!

Tropical Haven
03-09-2009, 01:21 PM
55 gallon drums here with an Iwaki mag drive pump connected to the for circulation and water changes.

Runningfish
03-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Thanks for all the great info I guess I am going to have to get a Rubber Trach Can. Thanks.