PDA

View Full Version : Hair algea!

ChiefZero
03-11-2009, 04:47 PM
I have alot of hair algea in my tank. I have a 20 watt flourecent and two 12 watt t5s on my 30 gallon tank, 18 or so inches tall. the sword plant, only plant have yet, and the walls are covered in hair algea. Is this two much light, when I just use the 20 watt flourescent the algea dies and the plant to. I do do water changes at LEAST 3 times a week. Don't think my lights are old yet but if they are will this cause algea growth in excess.
My algea starts out little, due to cleaning it out with water change, then explodes over night and have too much.

what do you think?

thanks
ChiefZero

db2inst1
03-19-2009, 12:30 PM
Try American Flag Fish, that really helped in my tank. My tank is been free of Hair algae since then.

Harriett
03-19-2009, 01:11 PM
Flouish EXCEL works very well on it, follow the directions. Pour the EXCEL into a container of tank water and add that to the tank-be VERY careful not to pour anywhere near your fish. Adding it when they are in a feed frenzy at the other end of the tank is a good way, or pour it into the sump if you have a wet/dry. It works very well. Look at the underlying issues causing it too.
Best regards
Harriett