PDA

View Full Version : Questions about water aging?

theteflondon
03-15-2009, 06:59 AM
Is it truly necessary to age water when doing water changes? I don't have discus yet, I want to be successful with plants first. I know its bad to pour water straight from the tap but why couldn't you pour into a bucket treat it stir it and pour it into the tank? If aging water is completely necessary then how do you do it? Should the container of choice be open to the room or covered? How long does it have to age?

Peachtree Discus
03-15-2009, 12:17 PM
its not necessarily bad to pour straight from tap. here, i have to age my water during colder months just enuf to bring the temperature up. in summer, i can change straight from the tap with some dechlor (another reason i luv summer :sun::bounce2: ) . it really depends on the condition of your tap water.

regarding the container - opinions may differ, but IMO, it can be open or closed. i cover my water storage containers to help with heating and cut back on evaporation. IMO, a crypt vs discus only tank vs planted discus tank is almost like three unrelated things to learn

Don Trinko
03-15-2009, 08:24 PM
Many do not age but they ussualy add declore and adjust the temperature to near tank temp. Don T.

theteflondon
03-15-2009, 08:31 PM
that makes so much more sense to me i know i am just a beginner for discus but i know there is no way i would be able to store containers of water everywhere in my apartment either.

DiscusKeeper403
03-15-2009, 08:57 PM
As long as the temperature is the same as the tank, there is no C02 bubbles that would change pH, and there is no chlorine, then you can add it straight from the tap.

Eddie
03-15-2009, 08:58 PM
I do not age my water at all. I do very large water changes (100%) and I use straight tap. I first add Prime and then fill the tank with water that is very close to the temp of the tank or warmer.

Really depends on how stable your PH is after 24 hours of aeration.

Eddie

DaniDarvin
03-15-2009, 10:29 PM
The only bad experience I had when I did not aged my water, I don't know if you can call it bad as it didnt' kill any of my discus or do anything negative, was it appeared after a few minutes of 50% water change, the slime were coming off or it looked like they were shedding. I wasn't able to figure out the cause but after i aged my water, it never happen again.

Eddie
03-15-2009, 10:39 PM
The only bad experience I had when I did not aged my water, I don't know if you can call it bad as it didnt' kill any of my discus or do anything negative, was it appeared after a few minutes of 50% water change, the slime were coming off or it looked like they were shedding. I wasn't able to figure out the cause but after i aged my water, it never happen again.

PH difference, after 24 hours, your PH is probably alot higher in the tank than it is straight from tap. ;)

Eddie

White Worm
03-15-2009, 10:58 PM
I do not age my water at all. I do very large water changes (100%) and I use straight tap. I first add Prime and then fill the tank with water that is very close to the temp of the tank or warmer.

Really depends on how stable your PH is after 24 hours of aeration.

Eddie

Ditto, but I do around 75% or so.

fishyj
03-16-2009, 12:11 AM
I never used to age my water until I lost 25 africans doing a 50% water change. Now I check my water evertime before water changes even after aging. To me better safe than sorry.

Don Trinko
03-16-2009, 08:57 AM
I would consider a storage tank even if you do not age. It is a convenient place to add the declor, check the ph and adjust the temperature.
It doesn't have to be fancy. I use old salt brine tanks from water sotener systems. Plastic Garbage cans work also. I wouldn't use anything that had soap or chemicals in it. Don T.

P.S. I do age my water but I know many do not.