PDA

View Full Version : Will all bright or light colored discus have peppering in planted tank?

Francis
03-16-2009, 07:20 PM
Hi
I am new in discus keeping but experienced in plants. I received a couple of light coloured discus (Butterfly) and they become nearly semi-black within days in my planted tank. They are healthy .active and growing. Now 2 months past, the top half of their body remain black. They are 2 inches now. Are the black peppering going to stay with them in the rest of life in a heavily planted tank?
What kinds of discus should I avoid if I have no plan to uproot all my plants and like the colour they suppose to have? Such as pigeon blood, yellow / red discus, blue diamond?
Thanks
Francis

Eddie
03-16-2009, 08:57 PM
The pigeon blood strains will range from lots of peppering to very little peppering. The color of the substrate, background and tank ornamentation all affect peppering. As well as, water quality and their overall health.

If you want to have discus that don't pepper, any of the non-pigeon blood strains are what you are looking for.

One thing I will add is that even in non-pigeon strains, the substrate, background and tank ornamentation can cause discus to portray lighter or darker (subdued) colors. Water quality and health will also affect their colors.

It is in my experience that if you want brightly colored fish, you should have a lightly or brightly colored envirnment for them to live in. Use a light background, light or white substrate, bright green plants. Even a large piece of driftwood will make a discus dark when they are near the wood. It's part of the defense mechanism, almost chameleon like.

HTH,

Eddie

Francis
03-17-2009, 07:20 PM
Hi, Eddie
Thanks for your info. What are the non-pigeon blood strains? Can you advice me further please? Do they include the red ones or blue ones?
Are you suggesting that the better quality pigeons may have less peppering?
Many thanks
Francis

Eddie
03-17-2009, 08:44 PM
Hi there Francis, yes there are pigeon blood types that are cleaner than others.

Here is Walter's site which is extremely helpfull in learning about discus types/strains. It shows some of the types and strains that are not pigeon blood.

http://www.aquariumhobbyist.com/discus/strains/index.html

Eddie

waters10
03-17-2009, 09:27 PM
Here is Walter's site which is extremely helpfull in learning about discus types/strains. It shows some of the types and strains that are not pigeon blood.

http://www.aquariumhobbyist.com/discus/strains/index.html

Eddie
Great website! And the BD picture (one of my favorite strains) there is so funny! It's like the fish is angry as hell! :D

Eddie
03-17-2009, 09:31 PM
Great website! And the BD picture (one of my favorite strains) there is so funny! It's like the fish is angry as hell! :D

Yeah, he does look like he is making a pouty face. :mad:

LOL

Eddie

Francis
03-18-2009, 06:56 PM
Thanks
The site is very useful. I am glad that red ones seem not the pegeion blood strains. I am going to get some in the future. I will post some photos for you to see the semiblack butterflies and ask more questions.

Eddie
03-18-2009, 08:28 PM
Sounds good, there are some reds that can pepper though so ask about the specific type before you buy them. We can all help you. ;)

Eddie

PhishNFilly
10-05-2011, 11:04 PM
Please help me again on a broken link. I wanted to see the site Eddie posted in #4 and it says webpage can not be found. Is it my end or the link. I really wanted to see that website. Thanks, Julie

Skip
10-05-2011, 11:12 PM
its gone

cjr8420
10-05-2011, 11:55 PM
check discus strains sticky in beginers section lots of pics

REC
10-06-2011, 03:22 PM
I'd say decorate the tank the way you please. I went with a blue backround and bottom on my tank to reduce peppering in my Pigeon's even though I prefer the look of a black backround and bottom. And all my pigeon's still have tons of peppering even after a month. And they are very happy and active not stressed at all. This is why when I set up the new 110g i'm going all black.

discuspaul
10-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Off the subject just a touch, but it's great to have you back with us, really actively, Eddie !
Hang in there with us - don't leave - although I know you've been quite busy lately.

gerrard00
10-10-2011, 11:10 AM
I'd say decorate the tank the way you please. I went with a blue backround and bottom on my tank to reduce peppering in my Pigeon's even though I prefer the look of a black backround and bottom. And all my pigeon's still have tons of peppering even after a month. And they are very happy and active not stressed at all. This is why when I set up the new 110g i'm going all black.

The peppering may get worse. There was an old thread with great before and after pictures made by someone who switched to lighter substrate. Unfortunately, the pictures aren't available any longer. I had the same experience switching from black flourite to white pool sand, but I don't really have good before and after pictures.