PDA

View Full Version : Discus size

1nvad3r
03-18-2009, 11:39 PM
Hi all

I recently got my first Discus all from the same source and my tank is 90gal. My question is about the size of them, i got 4 that are 1.5 inch and 2 that are around 2.5inch. Is it a good idea to keep them together ? i notice one of the bigger Discus is bullying the the 4 little Discus. I feel like they are not getting enough food cause of the bullying. I was think getting a divider for the 2 bigger guys is this good idea?. Any suggestion/help is appreciated

thanks

Harv

rickztahone
03-19-2009, 12:08 AM
Hi all

I recently got my first Discus all from the same source and my tank is 90gal. My question is about the size of them, i got 4 that are 1.5 inch and 2 that are around 2.5inch. Is it a good idea to keep them together ? i notice one of the bigger Discus is bullying the the 4 little Discus. I feel like they are not getting enough food cause of the bullying. I was think getting a divider for the 2 bigger guys is this good idea?. Any suggestion/help is appreciated

thanks

Harv

that is a very good idea. especially if your smaller discus are not getting enough food. 6 discus that small in a 90 gallon is a little too big for grow out in my opinion. if they were around 4" i think it would be perfect. regardless, seperate them and check their behavior after you seperate them

kaceyo
03-19-2009, 05:28 PM
90 gals is way too big for six small discus. But you have just enough (6) to make a small group, so separating them would just create different kinds of problems. They won't feed as well in two's and fours,and they'll be more timid in smaller groups, more stressed out.
You could add the divider but keep all six on the same side, otherwise the aggression you're seeing will all be consentrated on the least dominent of the two on one side, and only spread between the three less dominent on the other side. Let them work out a pecking order among themselves.

Kacey

rickztahone
03-19-2009, 05:29 PM
90 gals is way too big for six small discus. But you have just enough (6) to make a small group, so separating them would just create different kinds of problems. They won't feed as well in two's and fours,and they'll be more timid in smaller groups, more stressed out.
You could add the divider but keep all six on the same side, otherwise the aggression you're seeing will all be consentrated on the least dominent of the two on one side, and only spread between the three less dominent on the other side. Let them work out a pecking order among themselves.

Kacey

did not consider that, Kacey is correct. also what you can do which is a solution many love around here is adding more discus :D

1nvad3r
03-19-2009, 11:30 PM
Cool i think will just get more Discus :) thanks for the replies.wish me luck hehe.

Harv

rickztahone
03-20-2009, 12:02 AM
Cool i think will just get more Discus :) thanks for the replies.wish me luck hehe.

Harv

good luck, keep us updated and don't forget that a 90g will house 9 adult discus. try not to over-stock

Eddie
03-20-2009, 03:24 AM
Even with more discus, there always be aggressive fish. It's in their nature to create a pecking order whether it be 6 fish or 60 fish.

Best of luck,

Eddie