PDA

View Full Version : Best way to set up 2 canister filters

ilaizm
03-19-2009, 03:53 PM
I have two Fluval canister filters for a 90G tank. I am unsure how to set them up to have an efficient system. Should they be set up in a way for each to cover half the aquarium? Maybe putting a filter on each side of the aquarium with an exhaust stem reaching up to half the tank?

KDodds
03-19-2009, 04:18 PM
When I do this, I either put the intakes in the center and the outputs on the sides or the intakes in the back corners, and the outputs on teh back, each on half the tank.

tpastrana
03-19-2009, 04:24 PM
I have two Fluval canister filters for a 90G tank. I am unsure how to set them up to have an efficient system. Should they be set up in a way for each to cover half the aquarium? Maybe putting a filter on each side of the aquarium with an exhaust stem reaching up to half the tank?

I use to have 2 fluval's 404's on my 90 gallon. One on each side of the tank. It worked very well, mixed up the media inside differently on each one. I now have 2 eheim 2028's and one 404 on my 90 gallon. Strickly because of my stingray that I have in the tank, they produce a lot of waste :)

DiscusOnly
03-19-2009, 04:43 PM
I use a combination of Fuval 30x or 40x and Eheim 2026 Pro II on my 90 gallon. I have intake tube on each side of the tank going down 3/4 way. For returns, I have 2 spray bar that covers about 70% of the tank width on the back. One spray water on the surface toward the front and another spray the water at an angle toward the back of the tank. It does get noisy if the water level gets too low but I actually like the sound of water flow in the house.

I do get a very good circulation all around the tank and the discus didn't mind it when I had them in there.