PDA

View Full Version : blue eyed plecostomus

dean9922
03-22-2009, 08:19 PM
years and years ago, i used to own a blue eyed plecostomus, fish was jet black...
does anyone have these or know where i could order one from...
also are plecostomus and discus compatible in the same tank... i used to tank them together but not sure if it was the right thing to do or not

ShinShin
03-22-2009, 08:31 PM
I haven't seen any of these in years. I know at one time only adult wild fish could be exported. Personally, because of the size, I wouldn't keep them with discus unless you had a large, sparsely stocked tank. Plecos this size produce huge amounts of fecal waste, affecting water quality. I had one once, but not in the discus tanks.

Mat

dean9922
03-22-2009, 08:35 PM
thanks for the info Shin Shin

DiscusDude85
03-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Speaking of pleco's i saw a HUGE one at my job today. This joker must have been 5-6 pounds. I wonder how big they do get???

Joe

Justice
03-22-2009, 11:26 PM
years and years ago, i used to own a blue eyed plecostomus, fish was jet black...
does anyone have these or know where i could order one from...
also are plecostomus and discus compatible in the same tank... i used to tank them together but not sure if it was the right thing to do or not

You must be talking about Panaque Suttoni or Panaque Cochliodon

I also had one years ago but heard that their numbers had declined dramatically due to pollution causing them to be scarce and very expensive they are difficult pleco's to keep and get large i bought mine years ago for around thirty dollars it only lived a couple years for me. they can still be bought but the ones i have came across on-line cost around $3000 i wish i still had mine because i would sell it.

Here is a good article about the Blue Eyed Pleco by Shane Linder: http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworld/shanesworld.php?article_id=376

rickztahone
03-23-2009, 12:02 AM
i know a fellow member has some BN w/ blue eyes if it interests you at all?

dean9922
03-23-2009, 09:38 AM
hi Rickztazone....not sure what all the abbreviations are yet...
what is BN...thanks for responding and how would i get a hold of him

ApacheDan
03-23-2009, 10:01 AM
hi Rickztazone....not sure what all the abbreviations are yet...
what is BN...thanks for responding and how would i get a hold of him

Rick;

BN usually stands for Bristlenose. The only discus-compatible pleco that I know off is the bristlenose pleco, which are excellent cleaners. BN's come in dark/black, light/yellowish albino or redish/brown. The blue-eyed albino's are very sought after, but usually go for $100 or so. Try aquabid.com

Aine
03-23-2009, 12:39 PM
The blue eyed bristlenose pleco, is designated L144, it is a white/yellowish bristlenose pleco. They come in long fin and regular fin varities. It is an algea eater, and should be safe with discus. They also love occational slices of zuccinni. It will readly breed in a tank setting, if you provide it with caves for breeding. They currently go for arount 20-40 dollars a fish on aquabid. The long fin selling for the higher end and sometimes more.

Aine
(keeper of discus and bn pleco's and queen arabesque pleco's in the same tank) :)

Scribbles
03-23-2009, 02:19 PM
Blue eyed plecos or Panaques can sometimes be found on aquabid too but are not cheap.

Justice
03-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Found a post where a guy has a 10 inch male for sale. http://www.plecofanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74635

dean9922
03-23-2009, 09:23 PM
WOW.....DID NOT KNOW THEY ARE THAT EXPENSIVE...I PAID $39.00 FOR THE ONE I HAD MANY YEARS AGO....DARN THAT INFLATION.....
THANKS FOR EVERYONE GETTING BACK TO ME

hedut
03-25-2009, 01:09 AM
WOW.....DID NOT KNOW THEY ARE THAT EXPENSIVE...I PAID $39.00 FOR THE ONE I HAD MANY YEARS AGO....DARN THAT INFLATION.....
THANKS FOR EVERYONE GETTING BACK TO ME

Many years ago? how long? everything change now:D:D:D. here link that little cheaper http://www.riverwonders.com/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=46

Hendri

plecocicho
03-25-2009, 11:38 AM
I remember when i first saw blue eyed pleco, jet black with heavenly blue eyes and that for 20 euros (something like 40-50 euros today).....

ApacheDan
03-25-2009, 12:25 PM
....just remember those giant plecos are not compatible with discus....they will eat the slime off their bodies and kill them. Been there, done that..:mad:

RKeiger
03-25-2009, 09:48 PM
I saw one on a wholesale list recently for $600. Your local store can get this fish if they order from Segrest.