PDA

View Full Version : Filter materials

ilaizm
03-23-2009, 06:18 AM
I have two fluval canister filters. Each one has three sections in it. In one section ill be using the ceramic rings. In another a foam sponge. What should I use in the third section?

Mr Wild
03-23-2009, 07:49 AM
I use a coarse sponge on the bottom, ceramic rings in the middle and a fine sponge on top.

Chad Hughes
03-23-2009, 09:43 AM
Your fluval should already have sponges in it. I use an FX5 and use nothing but ceramic rings in every tray. Remember, the more bio media you put in it, the more surface area you have for bacteria to grow. The sponges will just clog up quickly. I have heard of some people using those nylon pot scrubbers as a form of bio media. Never tried that myself though.

Best wishes!

poconogal
03-23-2009, 03:25 PM
I use a coarse sponge on the bottom, ceramic rings in the middle and a fine sponge on top.
I have an XP3 and that's almost what I use. Course sponge on the bottom to trap large debris, topped with fine sponge for smaller particles, bio media in the middle tray and in the top tray I used Purigen but now Bio-Chem Zorb with filter floss on top of that to catch extra small particles and help polish the water. All of the material in the canister will grow bacteria for your bio filter and your bio filter will only develop in size in direct proportion to your fish load and the amount of waste they produce.

seanyuki
03-23-2009, 03:35 PM
Hi Connie,

Then your water is crystal clear :balloon::balloon:....pictures please:p.....me just an Aquaclear 110 for each tank.....better save up to buy canister filters.....filter or new fish:confused:

Cheers
Francis:)

I have an XP3 and that's almost what I use. Course sponge on the bottom to trap large debris, topped with fine sponge for smaller particles, bio media in the middle tray and in the top tray I used Purigen but now Bio-Chem Zorb with filter floss on top of that to catch extra small particles and help polish the water. All of the material in the canister will grow bacteria for your bio filter and your bio filter will only develop in size in direct proportion to your fish load and the amount of waste they produce.

poconogal
03-23-2009, 05:06 PM
Francis, when I used my AquaClear 500 (now the 110) I put a fairly thin layer of filter floss in the holder first, then the sponge on top of the floss, then Chemi Pure and then another thin layer of floss on the very top, over the Chemi Pure. I used to tuck in the top layer of floss so it wouldn't get pushed out or sometimes put a small rock on top of the floss also to hold it in place. My water was nice and polished that way. Sorry no pics until I go shopping in Connie's Camera Store in the basement...

Bag of filter floss - $4.00
XP3 canister filter - now over $150.
New Discus - priceless :D

I'd go for the bag of floss and get new Discus, Francis!

seanyuki
03-23-2009, 05:23 PM
Hi Connie,

Me always learning from the masters....I hate water changes....tanks here tanks there....need to find a solution.....one day I will have a show tank with discus with a canister filter,,,,my store has a Ehiem Pro 2080 waiting for a big tank:D

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/seanyuki/th_DSCF0643-1.jpg (http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/seanyuki/?action=view&current=DSCF0643-1.jpg)

Cheers
Francis http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu111/aiseanyuki_2009/th_5_2_107.gif (http://s639.photobucket.com/albums/uu111/aiseanyuki_2009/?action=view&current=5_2_107.gif)

billyboy
05-13-2009, 08:35 PM
Francis, when I used my AquaClear 500 (now the 110) I put a fairly thin layer of filter floss in the holder first, then the sponge on top of the floss, then Chemi Pure and then another thin layer of floss on the very top, over the Chemi Pure. I used to tuck in the top layer of floss so it wouldn't get pushed out or sometimes put a small rock on top of the floss also to hold it in place. My water was nice and polished that way. Sorry no pics until I go shopping in Connie's Camera Store in the basement...

Bag of filter floss - $4.00
XP3 canister filter - now over $150.
New Discus - priceless :D

I'd go for the bag of floss and get new Discus, Francis!

is it ok to use chemi pure for discuses?