PDA

View Full Version : heater position, is it safe?

not so master reefer
03-28-2009, 12:19 AM
hello everyone

i want to place my heater somewhere i cant see it. can i place the heater horizontally near the sand?is it safe if the heater touches or maybe if i just drop the heater on the sand? im also planning to cover it with plants, driftwoods or maybe rocks. is it safe if i lean them on the heater?

rickztahone
03-28-2009, 02:36 AM
hello everyone

i want to place my heater somewhere i cant see it. can i place the heater horizontally near the sand?is it safe if the heater touches or maybe if i just drop the heater on the sand? im also planning to cover it with plants, driftwoods or maybe rocks. is it safe if i lean them on the heater?

i would not put it in the substrate or touching anything. it's a heater and if something is close enough it will HEAT it up. you can place it on the side glass horizontally towards the bottom but you will see the cable running up. it also depends how long your tank is, if it's really long (72" or so) then putting it on the side might not be the best position for it. if you have a canister filter then you can get an inline heater and you will not have to see it at all. hope that helps a little

robby ram
03-28-2009, 03:36 AM
I prefer to position it diagonally and close to the output filter, resulting to spread the heat overall.

thebigone
03-28-2009, 10:44 AM
If you cover the heater on the bottom of the tank you also have to think that it will block in some of the heat and will not get your tank to the temp. that you want it and the heater itself will cut off sooner because it will read the temp getting hotter then what it really is. HTH

csarkar001
03-28-2009, 11:10 AM
if asthetics are really important to you, consider an in-line heater. they work well and you wont see it in the tank. just have to be careful about the pump from the canister (or whatever is driving the heater) breaking or turning off while the heater is still on.

-chandan

rickztahone
03-28-2009, 01:52 PM
if asthetics are really important to you, consider an in-line heater. they work well and you wont see it in the tank. just have to be careful about the pump from the canister (or whatever is driving the heater) breaking or turning off while the heater is still on.

-chandan

the hydor inline i have turns off by itself if no water is rushing through it. great little bit of technology really, no way to fry it

csarkar001
03-28-2009, 01:55 PM
reading through this forum, it appears several others have good things to say about the hydor line of in-line heaters.

rickztahone
03-28-2009, 01:56 PM
reading through this forum, it appears several others have good things to say about the hydor line of in-line heaters.

no complaints on my end at all. the price is somewhat high but it is justified IMO