PDA

View Full Version : Timing of Water Change question

rwong2k
03-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Since my tanks lights are on a timer with a 8 hour photo period.

When do you do water changes?
eg. when the lights are off in the morning
During the day when the discus are all awake?
when the lights are off in the evening

My question is when the discus are asleep eg. in the morning with the lights turned off, will changing water shock/surprise the discus?

I've mainly changed water during the daytime when they discus are all active and awake but due to my job situation getting busier/swamped, I don't get home till the aquarium lights are off
(the other alternative is to change my timers so the lights are on at a different 8 hour period)

thank-you
Raymond

Cooldadddyfunk286
03-28-2009, 02:44 PM
yeah I hear ya man, what I do isnt a choice on the poll...but I tend to do water changes at night before the lights go off and before I goto bed. I figure by then I wont be feeding anymore and they would have pooped out all thier food for the day. so I just go in quick and suck out any poo and excess food, fill it back up w fresh water, usually take about 10-15 gallons out, shut the lights and call it a night!:D

-Jason-

fishyj
03-28-2009, 02:51 PM
Now that i'am back to work(thank god) I change it in the evening. While I was laid off I changed it in the afternoon. After changing I always give them their favorite food, bs, as a treat for them putting up with the cleaning. Now I think they look foward to the cleanings.

gotfish?
03-28-2009, 03:23 PM
well, in my case its after their last meal (BH) thats around 6-7pm, then lights off after WC :antlers:

kaceyo
03-28-2009, 04:01 PM
I've always changed water after their last meal of the day, and after feeding BH. Doing them right after feeding BH is a good idea because it's a major polluter of tank water and goes bad quickly. Even if they eat it quickly, the BH juice(?) and debri tends to spread throughout the tank as they eat. And after the last meal means the water they are in all night is as clean as possible.
It never made sense to me to feed right after a wc as it instantly adds pollutents rather than giving the fish some time in the cleanest water of each day.

Kacey

Peachtree Discus
03-28-2009, 05:33 PM
anytime i got water that's ready and about an hour i try to slide in a wc. i usually end up changing my water after i just said "i don't feel like changing that water". :D:D

It never made sense to me to feed right after a wc as it instantly adds pollutents rather than giving the fish some time in the cleanest water of each day

i hear ya there. i usually serve up a big meal before the big wc. ...even so, ends up as a major poo-fest in the cleanest water of the day.

fishyj
03-28-2009, 05:34 PM
I did also forget to mention that I vaccum the tank about 15 minutes after feedings. Whatever is not consumed in that time is removed.

Eddie
03-28-2009, 09:11 PM
Mostly in the late morning, early afternoon. Fish are super active, swim in the new water going in, eat and everything.

Eddie

Ed13
03-28-2009, 09:19 PM
Monday-Friday
-Early morning, BH
-2 hrs later, WC (75%) plus NLS pellets during refill;)
-during the day my old man feeds them 1-2 times once with BH and once with pellets

Sat-Sun they get food 5-6 times alternating between BH and pellets and then a nice and big WC(90%):D

I'd like to feed them more and do more and larger WC but various reasons prevent me from it:( This will have to do

scottthomas
03-28-2009, 09:46 PM
I voted evening after lights are off but there was no "evening just before lights go out" to choose from

Scott

Scribbles
03-28-2009, 10:45 PM
I do wc late afternoon shortly after feeding frozen BH. After that only 2-3 more meals of dry food.

rwong2k
03-29-2009, 02:25 AM
oh thanks everyone, first time doing this poll thing,

I know I know, what works for one doesn't necessary means it works for others, but it's an interesting trend and great suggestions!

thanks everyone

Raymond

Dutch dude
03-29-2009, 07:40 AM
what I do isn't a choice on the poll...but I tend to do water changes at night before the lights go off
I do the same only early in the evening somewhere around 20:00. The reason for this is that I have some more spare time around 20:00

I wont be feeding anymore and they would have pooped out all their food for the day.
Actually mine don't and save up some poop for right after the cleaning :D

Roxanne
03-29-2009, 02:08 PM
I voted evening after lights are off but there was no "evening just before lights go out" to choose from

Scott

Hey Scott:)..how r u? ...I'm thinkin that comes under the heading of lights on anyway.....

Not sure why anyone would risk disturbing them when the lights are off seeing as they could spook...maybe depends on how dark is it without lights?.....is this a trick poll?:bandana:

Rox

Roxanne
03-29-2009, 02:09 PM
..Actually mine don't and save up some poop for right after the cleaning :D

Mine too:D...what's that about?

Ed13
03-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Ah yes they seem to hold it in for after the water change...

Mine too:D...what's that about?
...perhaps revenge? a reminder of things to come?!:bandana:

Roxanne
03-29-2009, 02:45 PM
....especially when you want to take photos, tanks all clean, then SOMEONE poops! :alien:

revenge? who knows Ed.....why does my Rottie take a poop on the lawn, just after it has been nicely mowed ? ...why do my twins undress/swap clothes/redress themselves in the 2 minutes I wasn't watching them, and only when I'm in a hurry? or empty a whole box of tissues all over the living room floor so they can play in "snow"......sorry, digressed a bit there....still the question remains...Why?

:D

TankWatcher
03-29-2009, 04:09 PM
(the other alternative is to change my timers so the lights are on at a different 8 hour period)Thay what I've always done. I always figured what was the point of having the light on during the day, only to have it switch off an hour after I'm home. The closest fit in your choices is |"Daytime when the lights are on (discus active and awake", only it is only "daytime" for the fish. For me, it is night before the lights go off and before I goto bed.