PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium Anatomy

pkumar
03-29-2009, 06:05 PM
Hello Everyone. This is one of my firsts posts here in SD. I am excited about getting back into the hobby after several years. I am, newbie to discus (have had fish for close to 2 months now), and am planning a 180g low light (for now) planted display tank. I have ordered the tank ( an acrylic, for better or worse), and the stand is being built.

Through advice of several people, have decided on a sump vs Canister filters. Am an exteme novice when it comes to technical/DIY/plumbing-electrical type of stuff. The person I am working with has a good bit of experience I feel, and has agreed to help set up the tank once it gets here, but I would really be interested in second, third and fourth opinions - a consensus of sorts. I've learned quite a bit in this section going through other threads, but would still like to hear what you all think.

I've included a drawing of the tank-corner overflows with 1.5 in hole for bulkheads at bottom , and two 1.5 in holes at center top for returns. Some initial pics of the stand - interior dimentions are 78inX21inX19in. My question is conceptually - how would you plumb this tank?!? I need to start with a laundry list of supplies to gather in the next 2-4 weeks to get this tank (really my dream aquarium) off the ground. Thank you very very much for your input.

Sincerely,

Prashanth
Apple Valley, CA

foundanewglory
03-30-2009, 10:22 PM
Good luck to you! I just recently started learning how to plumb so I really couldn't give much advice. I could say...buy extra pieces just in case lol. I bought extra bulkheads, ball valves (not sure if it's really called that), extra pvc pipe for sure, elbows. Check valve... though people say they eventually fail I still put one in. HTH a little....:)

Oh also the sump I bought from someone He had a T shaped intake for water going into the sump. This is where both his water entered the sump.

Here is a pic of what I am talking about. It's in the back of the pick http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=69241&highlight=sump+question

pkumar
03-31-2009, 04:04 AM
foundanewglory, Thank You! I did go through your thread and it helped quite a bit. There's a steep learning curve here, terminology and diversity of parts is one of the more intimidating aspects of it. Esp if you throw in the fact that a mishap in the plumbing arena could spell disaster for whatever room the tank will be in. I think i may need something custom made as I am limited by the height inside the stand -- approx 19 in. we'll see, there are a number of premade acrylic "sumps"i've been looking at on the Dr's F+Smith website. Too bad there isn't a "how-to" manual with pictures and step by step instruction on this..now that would be great. Anyway, good luck with your project as well. Thanks for your input.

Sincerely, Prashanth.

fishyj
04-02-2009, 11:48 PM
If you are looking for sumps you could to a search for diy sumps. When I had my saltwater setup I made a sump out of a 20 gallon aquarium with plexiglass baffles and egg crate. If you use a sump the only thing I would suggest is after filling tank and sump turn off power and make sure sump won't overfill.

Graham
04-03-2009, 08:58 AM
Hi You really don't need 1 1/2'' returns and they should not be much below the surface of the water. The lower they are the more water that will drian out of the tank when the power goes off. As Fishy mentioned this could overflow the sump...not a good thing.

pkumar
04-03-2009, 11:14 AM
If you are looking for sumps you could to a search for diy sumps. When I had my saltwater setup I made a sump out of a 20 gallon aquarium with plexiglass baffles and egg crate. If you use a sump the only thing I would suggest is after filling tank and sump turn off power and make sure sump won't overfill.

Thank You Jim. I have been looking around for what to use. The challenge may be the vertical height available in the stand is only 19 in, and am probably going to be needing something short(er)? Some of the premade sumpswet-dry trickle available on line Eshopps seems to be the most promising. I have been to a website called life-reef - but feel that ordering one from here (haven't gotten a quote yet) would put me over my budget - Which I am already over! Sincerely, - Prashanth

pkumar
04-03-2009, 11:22 AM
Hi You really don't need 1 1/2'' returns and they should not be much below the surface of the water. The lower they are the more water that will drian out of the tank when the power goes off. As Fishy mentioned this could overflow the sump...not a good thing.

Thank You Graham - Unfortunately, the tank has been built and shipped - planned delivery is for this up comming week. I also think that 1.5 in returns seem a little much. Don't want my fish to seem like they're swimming in a hurricaine. I have been thinking of two spray bars - one for each return to distribute water flow to make somewhat of a more gentle current, and with hopes of breaking up surface tension/ more aerationg as well. As far as power outage, I have been reading some of the threads on back-up power / generators in case of an outage. Every day, seems like I'll be needing more equipment! Can I scream for help now! Thanks for your input. Sincerely, Prashanth.

pkumar
04-11-2009, 11:03 PM
Tank was delivered earlier this week. Very excited to finally see something tangible. Still waiting for the stand to be completed. Hope to continue to document this, as the plumbing is going to be a learning experience for me.

jeff@zina.com
04-24-2009, 10:32 AM
I like that tank. :D

You can always use a reducing bushing or coupler to decrease the overflow capacity. Spray bars do sound like a good diea to control the current.

Jeff

csarkar001
04-24-2009, 10:43 AM
i prefer gate valves to ball valves even though they cost slightly more because they create less pressure on the joints since they are easier to turn. for some reason, a lot of PVC ball values tend to stick.

tcyiu
04-26-2009, 11:04 PM
Tank was delivered earlier this week. Very excited ...

Man, I'm excited for you. That's a sweet looking tank. I love it when they are all shiny and reflective when new.

Best of luck.

Chad Adams
04-26-2009, 11:08 PM
Man, Gotta love those acrylics. Keep us up to date on progress
Chad

KDodds
04-27-2009, 08:02 AM
I'd be VERY glad of those 1½" drains and returns. The larger the pipe on the drain, the less noise it will generate. If you get gurgling, check into standpipes (easy to construct yourself). On parts... use unions wherever economically feasible. They make replacing parts and maintenance SOOO much easier. Definitely, at a minimum, you want unions on both sides of your pump. Use ball valves where they're not likely to be needed for fine adjustment, where you just need an on/off. This would be at drain exit points and at either end of any union. You also probably should use a ball valve/union/ball valve at any inline points coming into or out of the sump. Gate valves are only really necessary where you need fine adjustment (i.e. return side of a pump, skimmer flow, etc.). The return will be really low velocity, and may not even run, depending onthe pump you choose. I would not expect a 135 gallon discus tank to need the crazy flow that a 1½" inlet/outlet pump would provide for. For instance, the smallest ReeFlo pump would be the Dart, at 3000+ gph. TOO much for discus. IMO, you're looking for something more in the Mag 3 to Mag 7 range. But no worries there, just step up/down immediately before or after any bulkheads, or if you're just looking for the return to spill, the 1½" opening should be fine. IOW, run your plumbing at the pump's dimensions, not the tank's, and utilize unions should you ever decide to replace pumps.

pkumar
04-27-2009, 04:13 PM
Thank you all very much for the info and insight. I should be getting an estimate on this job in the next couple of days. I'll be sure to document the progress. The stand is finished and was delivered last week. I'll post some pics when I get home tonight. Hope to really get cracking on this tank in the next week or two. Thanks again KDodds, Sabres1, TcyIu, csarkar and jeff. The discus are up and down (just tx one for bloat w/ epsom salt...worked beautifully), hope to get a better handle on these fish over the next several months before they're ready to go into the tank! Last week, I was seriously thinking of dumping this whole idea of planted discus, and doing african ciclids - tropheus / others from the lake, but just couldn't get myself to do it after the work that's gone into these fish! Hopefully I will not regret staying with discus!!!

pkumar
04-27-2009, 10:30 PM
Here are pics of the stand.

rickztahone
04-28-2009, 12:49 AM
Here are pics of the stand.

that is one gorgeous stand for sure. that is also a huge wall to put it against, it almost dwarfs the stand. if it were me i know i would have tried to fill the wall up as much as possible or put two tanks there, :D. i can't wait to see the finished product

Darren's Discus
04-28-2009, 01:18 AM
Looking real good,cant wait to see it set up.

cheers

KDodds
04-28-2009, 07:22 AM
Looks like a beautifully crafted stand (I can't view larger images or the forum logs me out). Who made it?

pkumar
04-28-2009, 09:35 AM
Thanks Ricardo, Mr. Burgess. Kdodds - the stand was built by a local woodworker. I think he did a great job with the stand and I am very happy with it too. Only wish that I had some extra height inside. He used a "torsion box" (i'm not sure what that means, but he said that it is for added structural rigidity) for the base and another at the top of the stand - both of which together take up 8-9 in of vertical space, so i'm left with 19 in of useable height inside. The day he delivered it, I think I must have just sat in the living room and stared at it for a couple of hours!:shocked2:Thank you for the nice comments.

- Prashanth