PDA

View Full Version : White spots on male discus...

silent_thunder
04-03-2009, 11:29 AM
I keep reading previous threads on this however I cannot seem to get this discus free from whatever these white spots are...

I did a salt bath...

I am doing water changes daily...

He is in a 20 gallon tank with his mate...spawning tank

Some spots go away but then others appear...

He has no problem eating -L-

Water is at 86...

Is there any medication I should be adding?

Thanks

mmorris
04-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Most anything can cause white spots: parasites, fungus, bacteria. Can you post a picture? How is he behaving? What are your water stats, wc regime? We'd need a lot more information before we can take a stab at it.

aminyassien
04-03-2009, 03:37 PM
normally i put a peace of copper in my tanks that's why i dont have any white spot in my tanks

Don Trinko
04-03-2009, 03:48 PM
How many spots? Are they raised? In the past few years I have had discus get one or two raised white spots. When it happens it is only on one fish and only a few spots. It has never been consistant in that it is never the same fish and only one fish. It happens only rarely. I add copper safe and they disapear in a few days. They may well have disapeared without the copper safe. Don t.

silent_thunder
04-03-2009, 03:50 PM
I will get some pics up this weekend...your right...people need to see what I am dealing with...

Thanks

silent_thunder
04-03-2009, 03:51 PM
A piece of copper huh....how big...

Graham
04-03-2009, 03:52 PM
normally i put a peace of copper in my tanks that's why i dont have any white spot in my tanks

That's a really dangerous and uncontrolled way to use copper and wouldn't be recommended

silent_thunder
04-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Its only the same fish...they move from one area to another...I will get a pic by sunday....meds kinda scare me -L- I seem to want to add to many...I will look for some copper thoughg if it gets to that point...

Thanks alot

Graham
04-03-2009, 04:02 PM
These spots are moving??? how big are they....

Eddie
04-03-2009, 06:41 PM
I'd salt do another salt bath and move the fish to another sterilized tank. It sounds like something in the current tank. Thats just me though

Also, how are you performing the salt bath? Amount and time?

Eddie

silent_thunder
04-04-2009, 02:19 AM
In a 5 gallon bucket...using only 4 gallongs with 4 tablespoons of salt...

He lasted a little over 10 minutes before he rolled and I put him in his tank right away...

I will give him another bath after work tomorrow if thats what you suggest...

I will post some pics tommorrow night as well...

Thanks alot

silent_thunder
04-04-2009, 02:21 AM
Very small spots fro the most part...started with a nouale by his back fin and then they began to move...the size of the top of a pin head....

who said it was gonna be easy -L- it was for a month...

he is more aggresive as well...

Thanks

Eddie
04-04-2009, 04:37 AM
When you finish the bath, put him in new tank or a sterilized tank. No use in putting him back in the tank where he has had the spots, they will always come back.

Eddie

Graham
04-04-2009, 08:49 AM
''...using only 4 gallongs with 4 tablespoons of salt...''

Actually I doubt that much salt had any effect what so ever...

4 tablespoons = 12 teaspoons and 3 teaspons per gallon = 0.3% salinity....so 12 teaspoons in 4 gallons of water is only 0.3% salinity. Build this level of salinity up over 24 hours and he could stay in it indefinately.

A lot of parasites when in a cyst stage on a fish are deeply inbedded in the cucticle and epidermis and are not affected by what we do to the water. Like Ich, it can only be killed off once off the fish.

silent_thunder
04-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Ok heres some pics...

Can I never return him to his mate? I guess I need to get him well and get my 55 gallon done asap

Any help is apprciated

Thanks people

Daniel

silent_thunder
04-04-2009, 11:14 AM
great I cant get the pics to come on here...I have them in a folder but obviously don1t no how to transfer them...I dont have a url, only pics in my documents..

any ideas on what I need to do..-L-

bear with me please...

Roxanne
04-04-2009, 06:40 PM
try here...http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=21447

silent_thunder
04-04-2009, 07:22 PM
Thanks....I will try that...it shows my pics to large hoever I will figure it out!

silent_thunder
04-04-2009, 07:23 PM
I have a cycled 15 high aquarium...how much salt should I put in..
Thansk

silent_thunder
04-04-2009, 08:44 PM
well...lets see if the pic works...

Eddie
04-04-2009, 08:46 PM
If you are using salt for therapeutic affects, then it is 2 tbsp per 10 gallons.

As a short bath, 1 tbsp per gallon in a bucket.

Eddie

silent_thunder
04-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Other side of discus...I DID it =L=

Roxanne
04-05-2009, 09:28 PM
...here they are real B-I-G....they don't look like "spots"...more like long parasites hanging off the fish:confused:...anchor worms??

http://www.australianhomeguide.com.au/simplydiscus/silent_thunder.html

silent_thunder
04-05-2009, 10:04 PM
Ok good! Now if you will....tell mhat the process I need to go thru treating him..please of course<g>

silent_thunder
04-05-2009, 10:09 PM
I really do know how to spell....<g> its the 2 finger typin` that kills me...

Eddie
04-05-2009, 10:19 PM
If it external parasite, Quick Cure would be my choice.

Add air to the tank (airstone) and keep temp at 82F. Keep tank lights off and after 12 hours, change 25% of water and re-dose. Do this for 3 days.

Et viola

Eddie

silent_thunder
04-05-2009, 10:23 PM
Thanks Eddie...

silent_thunder
04-05-2009, 10:47 PM
Some say bigger is better =L=

Thanks for the help...

Daniel

silent_thunder
04-06-2009, 08:49 AM
After 3 days then what Eddie....just keep up the water changes till the meds are gone?

Should I disconnct the hob filter, it does have carbon in it..

D

Eddie
04-06-2009, 08:57 AM
After 3 days then what Eddie....just keep up the water changes till the meds are gone?

Should I disconnct the hob filter, it does have carbon in it..

D

Remove the carbon but do not disconnect the filter. When treatment is done, add carbon and perform waterchanges.

Eddie

Don Trinko
04-06-2009, 09:32 AM
I think Quick cure is Formalin and Malachite green together. It should kiill almost any external parasite or fungus. Don T.

Eddie
04-06-2009, 09:34 AM
I think Quick cure is Formalin and Malachite green together. It should kiill almost any external parasite or fungus. Don T.

Yes DT, QC is F&MG ;)

Eddie

Cooldadddyfunk286
04-06-2009, 02:38 PM
yeah, Im currently using quick cure to try and remove these transparent kind of blurry patches on my Penangs body. lets hope it works! this is day 2, nothing really noticably different yet. Its not really white spots like in these previous pics, but its more of like a lighter colored blurry patch. almost looks like you lightly erased some of the pattern w a pencil eraser lol. anyone seen this before? its real hard to get a pic to show you guys. doesnt show up on the camera like it does in person.

Richy44
04-06-2009, 03:02 PM
My suggestion would be "Fluke-Tabs". I use them with great success.

Rick..

Roxanne
04-08-2009, 02:39 PM
....Rick...could that fish in your avatar be any redder???..WOW:)

Roxanne

hedut
04-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Wow that a lot white spot there, that happen to me last time and Kenny recommend me use some PP, color at very light pink almost orange for half day and its gone the next day. Nice Turk you have there:) and good luck.

Hendri

aminyassien
04-08-2009, 07:23 PM
A piece of copper huh....how big...
yes a peace of copper
the same i use i a salt water tank
10 cm of copper wire
thats it
ido use that and 100% no white spot since i used this method

silent_thunder
04-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Wow that a lot white spot there, that happen to me last time and Kenny recommend me use some PP, color at very light pink almost orange for half day and its gone the next day. Nice Turk you have there:) and good luck.

Hendri

Whats PP? I am in a city with a few inderpendent pet stores as well as chain stores...I need to pick it up whatever it is!

Reply quickly -L I am only here 2 days

Thanks

Don Trinko
04-09-2009, 05:26 PM
PP is potasium permanganate. I think you can buy it at most pharmacy's.
Don T.

silent_thunder
04-21-2009, 09:16 PM
OK....so I found out the hard way and made a huge mistake...

The fish in the pics here had multiple white spots...I treated it with quick cure twice over a 10 day period and he LOOKED great...

So instead of keeping him in QT I put him back with his mate...

After being gone three days I came back to the same discus broken out in white spots...

Rather the female is giving these to him I have no clue because I put them in a different tank...

So...should I treat them both with quick cure since she has been with him?

Any thoughts will help...cuz I brought 3 new discus home and it was like great...how am I going to make this....work.

This humbles me...these little jewels called....discus

Eddie
04-21-2009, 09:27 PM
OK....so I found out the hard way and made a huge mistake...

The fish in the pics here had multiple white spots...I treated it with quick cure twice over a 10 day period and he LOOKED great...

So instead of keeping him in QT I put him back with his mate...

After being gone three days I came back to the same discus broken out in white spots...

Rather the female is giving these to him I have no clue because I put them in a different tank...

So...should I treat them both with quick cure since she has been with him?

Any thoughts will help...cuz I brought 3 new discus home and it was like great...how am I going to make this....work.

This humbles me...these little jewels called....discus

Yup, it sounds like its in the main tank. You are going to have to treat everyone.

Eddie

mareshow
04-22-2009, 12:16 AM
you should try melaflix i had similar spots and then i treated with melafix and they disappeared the stuff works great and you can use it in your main tank because its all natural and wont affect the other fish and i have a couple wild ones and they did not react negatively at all

cyril
04-22-2009, 03:20 AM
I don't think you made a mistake there buddy...those spots will keep comming back if you treat with quick cure or pp.The will go away but in three or four days will start reappearing. You didn't say if the female had those spots, my guess is she don't have them and probably won't get them.

Patr1ck
04-22-2009, 06:15 AM
What are your water parameters? Are you using ro water?

Pat

silent_thunder
04-22-2009, 07:26 AM
Yup, it sounds like its in the main tank. You are going to have to treat everyone.

Eddie

Not the main tank....I did like you said and put him in a new tank...his next stop may be the toilet TANK!

Eddie
04-22-2009, 07:28 AM
Not the main tank....I did like you said and put him in a new tank...his next stop may be the toilet TANK!

No no, don't flush him. Obviously the mate had the issue too and it was passed to the fish again. Treat them both again in the tank they are in.

Eddie

silent_thunder
04-22-2009, 07:33 AM
you should try melaflix i had similar spots and then i treated with melafix and they disappeared the stuff works great and you can use it in your main tank because its all natural and wont affect the other fish and i have a couple wild ones and they did not react negatively at all

Well...I will try to find some thanks...Probably have to order it.

silent_thunder
04-22-2009, 07:35 AM
No no, don't flush him. Obviously the mate had the issue too and it was passed to the fish again. Treat them both again in the tank they are in.

Eddie

Ok..Thanks, after another cup of coffee I will do a partial water change and try again...

Tanks -L-

silent_thunder
04-22-2009, 07:37 AM
I don't think you made a mistake there buddy...those spots will keep comming back if you treat with quick cure or pp.The will go away but in three or four days will start reappearing. You didn't say if the female had those spots, my guess is she don't have them and probably won't get them.

No the female has never had any spots...

They will keep comming back on the male...THATS a bummer

silent_thunder
04-22-2009, 07:39 AM
What are your water parameters? Are you using ro water?

Pat

Half tap half RO...I am trying to get away from the RO...

I will get the water parementers...

Thanks