PDA

View Full Version : Pool Filter Sand Or Other Substrate

dean9922
04-03-2009, 07:17 PM
just wondering if this pool filter sand people talk about is a good substrate in a planted discus tank....will be starting up a 100 gallon soon and would like to have some plants in tank...are there any problems people have had with the sand.... gravel from the pet store costs a fortune,so any other suggestions would be helpful.
Or if anyone knows of any other ideas for a good substrate let me know...
thanks alot

cfi on the fly
04-04-2009, 11:57 PM
Ill let you know soon, I just got 50 lbs of pool filter sand #20. Very light in color, just what I was looking for to lighten up the discus. I have plants too, so hopefully everything will work out.

cyberhog05
04-05-2009, 02:27 AM
I use pool filter sand and it works good for me but I also use root tabs since PFS will not aid in nutrition by itself. So if you plan on root feeders...get root tabs:D

cfi on the fly
04-05-2009, 10:23 PM
What kind of pool filter sand do you use. I got the #20 and I think I may have made a mistake. It says the size is .5-.6 mm. Is this too fine? I really like the light coloring of it but cant seem to find it in a larger grain size.

Palue
04-05-2009, 10:29 PM
I have pool sand as well, I don't know the number of it as when I bought the tank it came with it. I love it, so far so good, the only plants though I have in my tank is anubias and they are attached to driftwood, don't know how plants would do buried in it but I would imagine okay.

cyberhog05
04-05-2009, 10:56 PM
I use #16. Its 1.168mm. Works well. I got it at a masonry shop. It is used for sand blasting as well as masonry.