PDA

View Full Version : Fluval NOISE vs QUIET

DonMD
04-04-2009, 05:15 PM
For years I've been using 3 Fluval 304 canister filters (they don't make the 304s anymore, now it's the 305s and 405s). They have always worked VERY WELL :) and quiet:D.

The other day I broke one of the ceramic impeller shafts while doing routine maintenance. I put back the two pieces, and it worked, but I ordered replacement parts, including 2 shafts, a new impeller, and an impeller cover, for future issues.

When I installed the new impeller today, I noticed that there was a rubber tip on it (and I think that when mine were new, they also had these rubber tips, but I had long since lost them in all the cleanings). So, I installed the new shaft with the tip in place, and plugged it in.

MAN was it LOUD:waaa:. So, I unplugged it and took off the tip. Now, it's as quiet as a mouse again. :)

I know some Simply readers and posters have mentioned noise related to their Fluval filters. Thought I'd share this experience, it could be a solution.;)

-Don

Gossioii1
04-17-2009, 05:11 PM
A wonderful article…. In my life, I have never seen a man be so selfless in helping others around him to get along and get working.

doc3toes
05-22-2009, 01:36 AM
i know this doesn't help, but i have had a 404 for 3-4 years and i consider it the worst filter i have ever had. once i move the fish, its back to a sump. also got some eihems to try now too. good luck. you can have mine for parts if you get it befoe it goes to the dump, lol.

1nvad3r
05-22-2009, 10:12 AM
Eheim is pretty quiet i have a 2260 Canister and two 2026 model all runs quiet : ) Eheim all the way.