PDA

View Full Version : Type of substrate?

mmcgee50
04-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Starting back up again with Discus after 10 year hiatus. I have a goal of a planted tank - so what type of substrate should I start with - or start with bare bottom and grow out some juviniles?

Elite Aquaria
04-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Welcome back to the hobby. I would not recommend a planted tank to grow out some Juvies...If you want to start off with a planted tank then I would get fish that are at least 4.5" or larger.

The reason is that the amount of food required to feed Juvies to grow to max size results in a lot of fish waste. Any substrates at the bottom make it hard to clean up after the feedings...Good luck

Eddie
04-05-2009, 07:50 PM
Starting back up again with Discus after 10 year hiatus. I have a goal of a planted tank - so what type of substrate should I start with - or start with bare bottom and grow out some juviniles?

Dan is giving some great advice. Start with barebottom and then you can change over to planted/substrate when the fish are older as mentioned.

Eddie

AquatiCreations
04-05-2009, 08:27 PM
That being said, Pool filter Sand makes great substrate for planted tanks.

srusso
04-06-2009, 09:55 PM
Even cheaper is play sand, got mine at homedepot for $4 for a 50lbs bag!!! I used 2 in the 55 gallon. Play sand is a bit more work and tends to have to be cleaned much more. But for that cost you cant even come close. It looks good also, I want to tell the people at the LFS to sell a store brand of this sand for much cheaper then the other stuff.

Harriett
04-07-2009, 04:35 PM
I would nix the play sand and go with the silica/pool sand. It is about $7 for 50 lb and is a terrific substrate. Very clean, a heavy grain that doesn't vacuum out easily when you python, excellant rooting medium for plants, natural look and cheap!

I would suggest, if you have 2 tanks, that you grow out your juvies in a BB tank since the younguns needs 5-6 feedings daily and thus pretty much daily large water changes for best health and growth....AND I would suggest you start a separate planted tank, learn the quirks and balance factors, get it looking great, and when your discus are about a year old or near 6", get them into the planted tank. You will have a year of growing a terrific planted tank and very health big discus-- a perfect marriage! You could get a grounds crew going in the planted tank like plecos, cories, etc and even dither fish like a school of cardinals or rummynose! A year would be plenty long for a QT for the dither and clean up guys.
Best regards
Harriett