PDA

View Full Version : Snails

tcmemphisbbq
04-06-2009, 07:36 PM
I have a 125 discus tank - several discus in it, I was getting some algae and I heard plecos and discus dont go well so I bought a couple of snails, now they are huge after a month and they have been breading :( I have a ton of snails in the tank, been getting rid of them as I see them. I am gonna pull one of the snails out to keep them from reproducing but shuolda asked this before I bought em.

SNails and discus ok together?these are yellow, grow pretty dang fast and are pretty dang quick getting from one end of the tank to the other.

Is it safe to assume that getting rid of one of the two will stop them from having babies?

On an up side they sure do keep detritus and the glass clean.

Thanks
Tom

Schooly21
04-07-2009, 06:22 PM
I dont know for sure, but I would say the snails and discus should be fine.

I more wanted to warn you that now that you have baby snails, they can reproduce as well once they reach sexual maturity, I dont know how long that takes but either way, by only removing one large snail, you aren't really fixing the problem.

Patr1ck
04-08-2009, 06:03 AM
Try a Yoyo Loach. They love snails.

Pat

blkrob
04-10-2009, 06:05 AM
I have a 125 planted tank and had a bit of a MTS problem.. Their population increased with my feeding. I added a couple skunk loaches are cleared the problem right up. They stay small are aren't as aggressive as some other loaches.

Why not add a bristle nose pleco? Not all pleco's are bad for discus. Kind of depends on the individual. Have you checked out the sticky in the tankmate section?

I agree with Schooly21. They will keep breeding. Also if they're mystery snails they will eat your vegetation too.

KimR
04-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Sounds like you might have apple snails, by removing one it will not help the reproduction, if you see the clutches on the glass or leaves or anywhere you can remove those, that will stop the reproduction.

I agree yo-yo loaches are great for getting rid of snails. You can also try the assasin snail (they don't reproduce unless you have a male and female) I have 6 of them, in 2 shrimp tanks and altho they are not fast at eating the snails they do eat them.

I also agree if you have mystery snails they will eat your vegetation!