PDA

View Full Version : Origins of SIMPLY

DonMD
04-07-2009, 06:32 PM
I would like to know the history of SIMPLY DISCUS. The organization of this web site, the compilation of useful data, the library, the amazing vitality of the online conversation, is, for lack of any better word, truly remarkable. It's easy to use, inviting for the newcomer, a repository of information for the veteran, it's really one of the very best web-based communities I've ever seen.

Who began it?

Why? and How?

How many people were involved in its beginning?

How do you keep it going so well? and so seamlessly?

Maybe you've already answered this question. But, who are "you?"

Really, it's such an excellent online community, it deserves a documented history, I think.

-Don in Virginia

Darren's Discus
04-07-2009, 08:23 PM
Don,
try this link.
http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/aboutus.shtml

cheers

Eddie
04-08-2009, 12:35 AM
I remember constantly reading everything on the SimplyDiscus.com before I even knew there was a message board. I had no idea there was one and I had never joined a forum before. When I did, it was the best thing to ever happen. It opened a whole new world of knowledge and expertise from all over the world!

Eddie

Adam Robinson
04-08-2009, 09:39 AM
TOTALLY AGREE,

I was off the forum for a while about a year while i moved to a new house and met the women of my dreams who is into fish as much as I am maybe more. We are recently getting back into discus and the forum has been a great way for me to brush up on past knowledge

rwong2k
04-08-2009, 07:09 PM
TOTALLY AGREE,

I was off the forum for a while about a year while i moved to a new house and met the women of my dreams who is into fish as much as I am maybe more. We are recently getting back into discus and the forum has been a great way for me to brush up on past knowledge

where do you find such a women? my wife hates my aquariums and fish =)
can't wait till I upgrade to my next aquarium =)

Graham
04-08-2009, 07:43 PM

You could up grade to a new wife...........;):D:D;)

FLGirl1977
04-08-2009, 08:06 PM

You find them on forums such as this! ;) lol!

Roxanne
04-09-2009, 02:12 PM
...that's funny Renee, I was only thinking the other day...maybe there's a market niche for a discus lovers dating service...:D.....

rwong2k
04-09-2009, 02:46 PM

good thinking, just like tanks they get better (hopefully not bigger)

I don't think i ask for much, i just want 3 120g 4' tanks,

1 x planted wild discus tank
1 x planted domestic discus tank
1 x barebottom partationed breeding/growout tank

acutally my crs won't do well in 120g's

DonMD
04-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Don,
try this link.
http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/aboutus.shtml

cheers

Got it. Thanks!:)

FLGirl1977
04-09-2009, 08:11 PM
...that's funny Renee, I was only thinking the other day...maybe there's a market niche for a discus lovers dating service...:D.....

lol... You never know Rox.... you just NEVER know. ;)

Darren's Discus
04-09-2009, 09:42 PM
[QUOTE=rwong2k;521730]good thinking, just like tanks they get better (hopefully not bigger)

IThat's too funny !:D

cheers

Darren's Discus
04-10-2009, 02:13 AM
:D:D

Hey Roxy,
I have a great male cobolt,thats looking for that special someone,he likes long swims in his 5ft tank,loves FBW and Beefheart,looking for a nice female with a great dorsal fin !:D:D

cheers

FLGirl1977
04-10-2009, 06:07 AM
:D:D

Hey Roxy,
I have a great male cobolt,thats looking for that special someone,he likes long swims in his 5ft tank,loves FBW and Beefheart,looking for a nice female with a great dorsal fin !:D:D

cheers

Darren, I think Rox was referring to the 'people' variety... :p LOL!

DiscusDude85
04-10-2009, 09:57 PM

HAHAHA rofl

Joe

April
04-11-2009, 03:24 AM
i used to think i wanted a discus or fish obsessed spouse..now..i think its better i didnt. i think it would get out of control..both madly collecting fish and tanks .
so..raymond..maybe she will keep you in check. anyhow..he cant trade her in..shes newly acquired isnt she?
so back to the beginning of simply. as the story went..it was some of us old timers who wanted a friendly place and wanted to encourage newbies and help discus have a happy healthy home around the world. less discus to demise due to no good information and help when needed. whether you all have one tank..one discus..or hundreds of tanks..we are all discus lovers. some find they arent for them..but most..embrace them..and even if taking a break..people seem to come back to discus again eventually. ive seen alot of newbies succeed and grow some beautiful fish out..with simplys help. so all worth it. ive seen the standards for discus rise..and ive seen less diseases and sick fish . importers, exporters etc ..have learnt alot also..and having simply sponsors has helped with holding higher standards for sellers. and the pictures..well..those just tempt us. but its great to see some fish people have raised up.
i think the main reason simply has kept going and succeeded..is because ryan..who was only a young pup then.. 16 has kept going with it..even when busy...and his life has changed with time. and brewmaster..who is a seriously dedicated discus keeper has kept being involved through thick and thin..and busy times etc. also. also..either ryan or brewmaster sleep!!

brewmaster15
04-11-2009, 06:25 AM
i used to think i wanted a discus or fish obsessed spouse..now..i think its better i didnt. i think it would get out of control..both madly collecting fish and tanks .
so..raymond..maybe she will keep you in check. anyhow..he cant trade her in..shes newly acquired isnt she?
so back to the beginning of simply. as the story went..it was some of us old timers who wanted a friendly place and wanted to encourage newbies and help discus have a happy healthy home around the world. less discus to demise due to no good information and help when needed. whether you all have one tank..one discus..or hundreds of tanks..we are all discus lovers. some find they arent for them..but most..embrace them..and even if taking a break..people seem to come back to discus again eventually. ive seen alot of newbies succeed and grow some beautiful fish out..with simplys help. so all worth it. ive seen the standards for discus rise..and ive seen less diseases and sick fish . importers, exporters etc ..have learnt alot also..and having simply sponsors has helped with holding higher standards for sellers. and the pictures..well..those just tempt us. but its great to see some fish people have raised up.
i think the main reason simply has kept going and succeeded..is because ryan..who was only a young pup then.. 16 has kept going with it..even when busy...and his life has changed with time. and brewmaster..who is a seriously dedicated discus keeper has kept being involved through thick and thin..and busy times etc. also. also..either ryan or brewmaster sleep!!
April, we all make a good team, don't we?:) I don't think any of us ever thought we'd be where we are today.....guess some things were just meant to be!

Been a bumpy road at times for us all, and me personally...but I would not trade it in for a different one if ever I could.:):):)

Thanks Everyone!
-al

Eddie
04-11-2009, 08:17 PM

Excellent post April and Thanks Ryan, Al and the entire team for truly impacting the hobby all around the world. I don't know where I'd be without the infinite knowledge and information available from Simply, you're the best.

Eddie

cmich
04-12-2009, 01:27 AM
Excellent post April and Thanks Ryan, Al and the entire team for truly impacting the hobby all around the world. I don't know where I'd be without the infinite knowledge and information available from Simply, you're the best.

Eddie

I second that Eddie! For a while I was looking for the perfect discus book, that I could learn about the hobby from. Then I found simplydiscus... This book never ends! There is sooo much knowledge on here it's unbelievable.

Blake