PDA

View Full Version : Adding rocks to aquariums...

silent_thunder
04-08-2009, 07:41 AM
Petrified wood as well as slate...do I need to boil them before adding to tanks?

Since I have seperated my discus they get spooked very easily...I am thinking they need something to hide behind...not that I LIKE that idea...

I was also told that driftwood would turn my water yellow...I have a tank with a dozen carnials in it and that has not happend however I know the driftwood came from a stroe where it had been used before hand...

Thanks...

Cant decide on some new discus or cowboy boots when I go into the city this weekend -L-

D

Eddie
04-08-2009, 08:14 AM
Petrified wood as well as slate...do I need to boil them before adding to tanks?

Since I have seperated my discus they get spooked very easily...I am thinking they need something to hide behind...not that I LIKE that idea...

I was also told that driftwood would turn my water yellow...I have a tank with a dozen carnials in it and that has not happend however I know the driftwood came from a stroe where it had been used before hand...

Thanks...

Cant decide on some new discus or cowboy boots when I go into the city this weekend -L-

D

Uhh....cowboy boots.....NOT!!

If the driftwood was used in the tanks at the store, I'd boil it to be safe. The wood probably won't release any tannins if its been in the water before.

Also, as you mentioned, giving your discus a place to hide will make them obsolete....you will never see them.

Eddie

TankWatcher
04-08-2009, 08:54 AM
Also, as you mentioned, giving your discus a place to hide will make them obsolete....you will never see them. You could try adding the stone or wood & if your discus do hide all the time, just take it straight back out. Maybe it depends on the discus, if they will hide all the time, or not. Having decor in my discus tanks has worked out for me, luckily. Maybe it will for you.

If it's been in another tank, I'd boil it to be safe.

silent_thunder
04-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Uhh....cowboy boots.....NOT!!

If the driftwood was used in the tanks at the store, I'd boil it to be safe. The wood probably won't release any tannins if its been in the water before.

Also, as you mentioned, giving your discus a place to hide will make them obsolete....you will never see them.

Eddie

AWWW you know I would rather have the discus Eddie however...I am in Nebraska...we are HICKS =L=

By the way thanks for the infoe on boiling the driftwood ,how about the rock?

BTW...I clicked on your profile yesterday...beautiful discus and tanks...its like wow...a whole different world...

I AM not giving up I shall succeed this time rasing discus with your people help!

I hope...

D

Eddie
04-08-2009, 09:21 AM
AWWW you know I would rather have the discus Eddie however...I am in Nebraska...we are HICKS =L=

By the way thanks for the infoe on boiling the driftwood ,how about the rock?

BTW...I clicked on your profile yesterday...beautiful discus and tanks...its like wow...a whole different world...

I AM not giving up I shall succeed this time rasing discus with your people help!

I hope...

D

Thanks D

Personally, any ornaments from a LFS that were in one of their tanks, I'd boil. If it has just been laying on the shelf, I'd give it a good rinsing in regular water. Make sure you test your water after the addition of any rocks or wood to see if there have been any changes to your PH. ;)

Eddie

Roxanne
04-08-2009, 02:24 PM
...slate...do I need to boil them before adding to tanks?

Driftwood will cause your ph to drop, so I'd just monitor that....

When you say Slate do you mean Ordinary Builders Slate??? ...

Roxanne

silent_thunder
04-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Driftwood will cause your ph to drop, so I'd just monitor that....

When you say Slate do you mean Ordinary Builders Slate??? ...

Roxanne

No. Its not builders slate...

Thanks folks be back soon...

Discus ostrich boots discus ostrih boots <mumbles>

Roxanne
04-08-2009, 03:19 PM
Discus ostrich boots discus ostrih boots <mumbles>

Why are you fighting the conversion to deep discus consciousness? The very fact that you have inner turmoil should tell you, you are deeply conlicted and need to let go of those ding dang ostrich cowboy boots..the discus will always win...make yourself a new mantra....I MUST have the discus...I MUST have the discus..I AM the discus...the discus is me....:D

Eddie
04-08-2009, 06:48 PM
Why are you fighting the conversion to deep discus consciousness? The very fact that you have inner turmoil should tell you, you are deeply conlicted and need to let go of those ding dang ostrich cowboy boots..the discus will always win...make yourself a new mantra....I MUST have the discus...I MUST have the discus..I AM the discus...the discus is me....:D

LOL, be like the discus, swim like the discus, feel the discus addiction.

silent_thunder
04-08-2009, 08:38 PM

Nobody said addiction was....easy -L- I already know if can find a few I like...they will win so..I will just buy some rattler boots-L-

silent_thunder
04-08-2009, 08:39 PM
Thanks D

Personally, any ornaments from a LFS that were in one of their tanks, I'd boil. If it has just been laying on the shelf, I'd give it a good rinsing in regular water. Make sure you test your water after the addition of any rocks or wood to see if there have been any changes to your PH. ;)

Eddie

I will do that...
Thanks Eddie

Roxanne
04-10-2009, 12:13 PM
LOL, be like the discus, swim like the discus, feel the discus addiction.

:Dyou ARE the discus...the discus is you...

Roxanne
04-10-2009, 12:25 PM
...I will just buy some rattler boots-L-

rattler boots???......dude...:D

Rox

silent_thunder
04-10-2009, 07:36 PM
rattler boots???......dude...:D

Rox

FINEeeeeeeee the addiction won....looks like 4 new discus...

Rattlers next month! Or more discus....who`s takin` the bets