PDA

View Full Version : WHAT TYPE SHOULD I USE?

machine77
04-09-2009, 12:27 AM
I hear alot about using sand instead or gravel.. can anyone please give me some pro's and con's of sand.. i have gravel now but i might switch to make my tank alittle brighter, i have somewhat dark gravel now.. and where to get this sand from, does it get cloudy if the discus stire it up and do i clean it just like i would gravel? thanks agian guys!

Eddie
04-09-2009, 12:58 AM
Pool filter sand, you don't stir it up, just siphon the top layer lightly as to not suck up any sand. The fish stir up sand but it settles fast. The water will not be cloudy. Make sure you rinse the sand very well before putting it in the tank.

Eddie

machine77
04-09-2009, 03:11 PM
ok, thanks very much eddie, and i can buy this sand at any pool supple store?

Don Trinko
04-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Search for "sand" or "Gravel" and you will find a lot of information. You will also find that many advocates BB (bare bottom). It is contraversial but many ( myself included) have raised healthy discus with sand or gravel.
The one thing everyone agrees on is that Discus need clean water. Some are convinced that you can not have clean water with gravel/sand. Ohters are convinced that you can.
Gravel/sand requires more work and it is not as obvious when dirt accumulates. All of this is IMO. I am no expert. Many have more knowledge and experience than I do but I am happy with my results. Don T.

Eyecandy
04-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Hi... I love pool filter sand.. You just lightly vac with python etc to remove the crap and then use it as a deep vac or use chop sticks etc to gently stir the sand... Just rinse it before using... It's very clean and you can get it very cheaply at most Ace Hardware stores..Sue:D

FLGirl1977
04-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Make sure when you get the sand that it's silica sand so it won't change the pH...

I have always preferred sand for asthetic reasons (it looks prettier!) but really, it does look more natural... and I have never had any problems with it. HTH...

machine77
04-09-2009, 05:19 PM
thanks so much simply members, i have an ace hardware store right by my house! ill stop buy and grab a few bags.. once again, thank you!

machine77
04-09-2009, 05:23 PM
o ya, one more ?, will alge grow on the sand like it does on my gravel? this is do to my 3 watts a gal and 10 hours of light a day!

FLGirl1977
04-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Lol... with that much light algae will grow anywhere! :D

machine77
04-09-2009, 06:13 PM
ha ha, your right.. it seriously is like a second job keeping this tank clean, but when it is, it looks so nice... for a few days lol