PDA

View Full Version : Canister filter for 90G

ilaizm
04-09-2009, 03:58 AM
I am setting up a 90G planted discus tank. I'm looking at the Eheim 2028 filter. Would that alone be enough filtration or should I add a second filter to the tank?

KDodds
04-09-2009, 07:43 AM
If you're not opposed to spending the money, I'd drop down to the 2026 (or comparably sized Rena FilStar model) and get two. Like having two heaters, in case one fails, you'll be glad you have two.

ilaizm
04-09-2009, 08:09 AM
That would be an idea, however I have a CO2 reactor (aqua media 1000) which states it needs a water supply of minimum 1000 l/hr. The 2026 is at 950l/hr.

KDodds
04-09-2009, 11:35 AM
Just an observation, but the gph/lph ratings on canisters are based on 0 head feet, no media. I've never gotten the rated gph/lph out of any canister of any brand. You might want to consider a separate pump/powerhead for the reactor.

captain morgan
05-02-2009, 09:34 AM
Other benefits to having 2 filters rather then 1 are also: you can clean 1 filter really well one time and the other filter the next time without worrying about harming your bio build up. 2 filters are also better for water circulation if you have a lot of plants like I do.

poconogal
05-02-2009, 12:07 PM
I have a 75 gal tank and for the last 2-1/2 years, up until last weekend, I ran a Rena XP3 on it with no problem. Rena used to give the figures for gph WITHOUT media and WITH media on the filter carton but I don't know if they still do. There was a big difference in the gph flow. Last weekend I finally added, (well, my friend finally added it) the Eheim 2028 which I bought used on Ebay 2 years ago. The benefits are that my water clears more quickly if there are any particles floating around, i.e., after feeding, and I can alternate cleaning of the canisters, so I can really do a better cleaning of one canister because I'll have the other running. Also, if something should happen to one canister, like the impeller breaking or a fastening clip breaking, at least there'll be another filter up and running. You can use the 2028 on the 90 alone, but I prefer to have a greater turnover of water per hour, so I'd get a second filter to run with it.