PDA

View Full Version : Plants attached to wood?

jimtony63
04-09-2009, 09:50 AM
How do you attach plants to wood? What are some good plants to use for attaching to wood? Thanks!

poconogal
04-09-2009, 10:05 AM
Some use thread, some use rubber bands and some use plastic twist ties. Anubias and Java Fern, also moss, go good on wood.

Eddie
04-09-2009, 10:09 AM
Some use thread, some use rubber bands and some use plastic twist ties. Anubias and Java Fern, also moss, go good on wood.

Fishing line

poconogal
04-09-2009, 10:10 AM
Fishing line

Oh yeah, that too! :D

Eddie
04-09-2009, 10:10 AM
Oh yeah, that too! :D

;)

ApacheDan
04-09-2009, 11:40 AM
Anubias and Java Fern, also moss, go good on wood.

You mean real live moss or some artificial substrate? I just received this giant box of manzanita & I'm going crazy with the possibilities of the best way to landscape my 300 gal monster project.... (sorry, not trying to steal the thread, but I have the same problem) :confused:

So you place the moss first & plants on top?

waters10
04-09-2009, 11:43 AM
I've done this recently.

Easiest is zip ties. But looks ugly. You could still use it and rip it off after the plants are attached.

After that, sewing thread. Specially for moss. Good thing they desintegrate after a while.

Third, fishing line. It's a pain, specially if you don't have anyone to help. And they'll remain there, until you decide to cut it.

Plant suggestions:
- Java fern (any variation: regular, narrow leaf, needle leaf, windelov).
- Anubias (barteri, nana, nana petite, coffefolia)
- Mosses (various types. Check aquamoss (http://www.aquamoss.net/) for the different types.)
- Bolbitis. Never tried it, but I read it can be done.

Hope this helps.

ApacheDan
04-09-2009, 12:02 PM
I've done this recently.

Plant suggestions:
- Java fern (any variation: regular, narrow leaf, needle leaf, windelov).
- Anubias (barteri, nana, nana petite, coffefolia)
- Mosses (various types. Check aquamoss (http://www.aquamoss.net/) for the different types.)
- Bolbitis. Never tried it, but I read it can be done.

Hope this helps.

Sorry, I don't know much about plants that can live at discus temps, but I heard about these too:

Crypts
Bacopa
Amazon Swords

any thoughts on these? Thank you.

calihawker
04-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Sorry, I don't know much about plants that can live at discus temps, but I heard about these too:

Crypts
Bacopa
Amazon Swords

The crypts and amazons for sure.
Take pics so we can see your project!

Steve

poconogal
04-09-2009, 01:05 PM
You mean real live moss or some artificial substrate? I just received this giant box of manzanita & I'm going crazy with the possibilities of the best way to landscape my 300 gal monster project.... (sorry, not trying to steal the thread, but I have the same problem) :confused:

Real live moss :)

You can place them separately, plants on some parts and moss on other parts, or maybe the end parts of the wood.

Crypts
Bacopa
Amazon Swords

Swords, yes, Crypts (I believe) are good in Discus tanks, don't know what Bacopa is -- I'm not a planted tank person, but they won't be good on wood. He's looking for info on how to attach plants to wood.

poconogal
04-09-2009, 01:06 PM
I just received this giant box of manzanita & I'm going crazy with the possibilities of the best way to landscape

Me too!

waters10
04-09-2009, 04:08 PM

Crypts
Bacopa
Amazon Swords

As Connie said, I was only suggesting plants that attach to wood, not plants that can take discus temp.

You mean real live moss or some artificial substrate? I just received this giant box of manzanita & I'm going crazy with the possibilities of the best way to landscape my 300 gal monster project.... (sorry, not trying to steal the thread, but I have the same problem)

Check aquamoss link I post earlier. That will give you a better idea on moss requirements. I wouldn't plant moss and put a plant on top, cause you'd be blocking all light from the moss and it'll die. If you're using moss, check one of the links I posted somewhere with tips on how to attach it to the wood. You can also see how I attached fissidens fontanus on my 85g thread. I attached java moss before reading the tips and it looks like crap compared to fissidens ... :D