PDA

View Full Version : New Plywood Fish Tank With Pictures

dean9922
04-11-2009, 02:24 AM
So i just got back into discus about 2 months ago after being out of it for years and years. and I am now ready to go from a 30 gallon to the new 100 gallon. So with a lot of frustration, swearing and asking tons of question I have now finished this and am happy to say that finally the 100 gallon tank is done and ready to go...this is the first time i've done something like this, and believe me i learned alot, so if anyone has questions on how to do this, feel free to contact me because I probably did everything the hard way first lol.....also have lots of construction pictures as i went thru the whole process.....also want to pass on a quick thanks to Big Tuck for the advice he has given me....

dean9922
04-11-2009, 02:26 AM
Just a few more pictures.....thanks for looking and let me know what you think.......fish are all going in tomorrow....will post a few more pictures then..

rickztahone
04-11-2009, 02:28 AM
that looks absolutely awesome. you should definitely post the build pics on here, many would love to see it, me included. the only thing i would have done different IMO would be to have added a second swing door on the cabinet. that's all though, everything else looks perfect.

dean9922
04-11-2009, 02:36 AM
thanks rick and i will post a some info on the tank build itself....

rickztahone
04-11-2009, 02:39 AM
thanks rick and i will post a some info on the tank build itself....

looking forward to it

fishyj
04-11-2009, 03:43 AM
I just love it. Want to make me one? (lol) Please do post the pics with detail how you did it. Great job.

Elite Aquaria
04-11-2009, 07:14 AM
Welcome back to Discus....Great looking tank...I can't wait to see it full of Discus...

poconogal
04-11-2009, 11:42 AM
that looks absolutely awesome. you should definitely post the build pics on here, many would love to see it, me included. the only thing i would have done different IMO would be to have added a second swing door on the cabinet. that's all though, everything else looks perfect.

I totally agree, it does look awesome, but would have liked 2 doors on the cabinet.

Scribbles
04-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Beautiful tank. How long did it take to build? How does the price compare to buying a premade tank? I'm thinking that this could be a fun project.

Chris

dean9922
04-11-2009, 11:54 AM
hi scribbles....it has cost me probably $600-700 up here in canada...not sure what your prices in the U.S. would cost....also a lot of these costs were trial and error costs....and special tools i did not have......the next one i build will be a lot less because i'll have a lot of the things i didn't have before i started this project...also it probably took me about 4-5 weeks to build, due to production problems lol.....when i do the next one, i could probably do it in about 2-3 weeks..... a complete tank, stand, canopy and lights here would be $900-1300 for a tank this size.... thanks for inquiring

I have now posted info in the DIY section....

Crstfr
04-13-2009, 03:47 PM
i would say less than 125 to build that in the states.. plywood is about 25-35 a sheet i believe.... ..

great job by the way..i love how it looks like a picture frame!

great idea

Moon
04-13-2009, 04:03 PM
Nice job Dan. I like the finish. One question. How did you build the front panel holding the glass. Did you cut out the opening from a sheet of plywood or joint four pieces to make the panel?
I made a 100g tank some 6 years ago and it is still in service. The dimensions are 4X2X2. The only problem I am having is a very slight leak from the front panel. I think it is because the plywood flexes and glass does not. This might creates a very slight gap causing the leak.
I am thinking of building an 8X2X2 tank and would like to overcome this problem.

dean9922
04-13-2009, 11:59 PM
hi moon
i got the front plywood cut out at a cabinet maker so it stayed as one piece.
4 or 5 days running, no leaks, and fish are doing well inside....

hi christopher...wish we had those prices here and by the way, thanks for the comments