PDA

View Full Version : Building a Plywood Tank

dean9922
04-11-2009, 01:09 PM
just finished up my 100 gallon tank, posted some pictures and was asked how, so here goes.....Also note i have never done anything like this before so lots of learning, swearing, asking questions and more swearing went into this tank....lol
First off, i went to the lumber store to get my wood cut, (I used oak plywood but other plywood would work as well) as i don't have a table saw of my own. Make sure they cut wood exactly, it cost me a few dollars more but it was well worth it. My measurements were 48LX18WX24H
you can use any measurements you want. Also note i got all my plans off of
Garf.com. It will tell you exactly how to cut the boards for a tank of any dimensions, along with a stand, canopy.
I then took my front piece of wood into a cabinet shop where they routered the wood for a viewing area. I went with a 3" picture frame so to speak.
Also get some wood trim to cover any areas that you will see after tank is built. It is stainable and finishes the look. Not sure what it's called but you put it on with an iron. Just have to trim and sand.
In assembling the tank, I used 2"drywall screws and spaced them every 2"
along with using a countersinking bit so screw goes into the wood a bit. Then cover the screw with a wood filler, let dry then sand even.
I used Gorilla wood glue along with screws to get a nice tight seal and then clamped together till dry.
Sanding was needed to smooth any rough surfaces after all assembled and dry.
Next came what to put into the tank sides, back, bottom & front....glass, acrylic?
When i priced out glass I just about fell over....OUCH!!!!
So i made alot of calls and got some help from Big Tuck who has done this sort of thing before and he suggested going with the fibreglass resin on the sides, back and bottom. At this point all i needed was the one piece of glass in the front.

Special Note: Thanks alot BIG TUCK!!!!!

I was able to find a resin which you could tint, so i picked the greenish color because the blues they had I did not like to much.
On all joints i used a 3" fibreglass cloth where i put resin down on seems and then more resin on top of the cloth untill cloth turns clear. Make sure you have windows that open if doing this in the house....WOW.....smell does not last long however....
Let that dry for 24 hours then i sanded all seems untill nice and smooth. I then used the tinted resin and put 2 coats on (sanding between coats) with a cheap paint brush, letting each coat dry for 24 hours. The final coat i used a roller which went on nice and smooth....i guess you could use a roller on all coats....oh well you live and you learn!!!!
After everything cured well (left tanks alone for 3 days) i placed my glass inside tank opening. I had my glass cut 3/4" less then the actuall inside dimensions so that you get a "floating" glass. Make sure a aquarium safe silicone is used and use "lots" of siliclone. When i did it, the silicone actually came out on the outside of the tank, which was cleaned up with a razor blade after it was dry. (24 hours) I then added just a bead of silicone along all the glass edges.
the canopy was built off plans from Garf.com once again as was the stand.
I wired the canopy myself which will be hooked to a timer.
The only issue i had and someone may want to keep in mind is that the dimensions i uses create a few problems such as to get a little overhang from the tank to the base, you go over the magic 48" mark with a 4X8 sheet of plywood which i ended up having to buy 2 sheets of plywood....so maybe keep the dimensions a little smaller so you can utilize your sheet of plywood.
If anyone has any questions regarding this tank build, just send me a private message and i'll be happy to help if i can......
costs were about $650-750 for everything, however when i build another tank it will be cheaper as i had to get some special tools etc that i just didn't have before...i figure i could do another complete tank for about $300-400
anyway, here are some pictures also!!!!!!

dean9922
04-11-2009, 01:15 PM
a few more pictures......

dean9922
04-11-2009, 01:19 PM
pictures.....

Big Tuck
04-11-2009, 02:21 PM
Great job Dean,that tank will last you many years,now you can build me one!lol Tuck

rickztahone
04-11-2009, 03:12 PM
like i said before, great build. if people have the tools on hand it is probably more cost effective to go this route. just a quick question...why didnt you go bigger? the advantages of using wood i think is that you can get a big dimension tank for probably not much more money than the tank you built. just my 2 cents

dean9922
04-12-2009, 10:26 AM
I thought of going bigger....but the one thing that stopped me was fear and common sense. lol.....was not "absolutely sure" that this whole thing would work, but now that i've done it once i just might go big.....i am going to build another one about the same size but then may build a bigger one perhaps 8 feet, we'll see...

wgtaylor
04-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Hey Dean, great inspiration for us doodlers. A couple questions if you don't mind. What was the glass thickness and was it temperd glass?
I like the finished color of the resin, is there a primer coat required on the wood before the resin goes on?
Your tank turned out really really nice. I can imagine many peaceful hours to be spent in front of that tank.:D Great job. Bill

dean9922
04-12-2009, 08:08 PM
hi Wgtaylor.....
Thanks for inquiring about my tank. I used 1/4 inch glass. I took my measurements to a glass place and they thought in there estimation that the 1/4 inch would be fine.....I tried it, and they said if any problems would arise, it would happen in the first 1/2 hour of being filled up. It's been running for 3 days or so now and all is good. I bellieve the support all around the front of the tank is what is helping out. Also the glass is not tempered and is about 3/4 of an inch smaller than the total width of the front of aquarium to allow for what they call a floating glass.
Also the resin i put on in 4 stages. The first was just putting the 3" fibre glass tape on all the seams of the tank and applying straight resin on that.
After that i sanded seams, and put on a "tinted" coat of resin inside of the tank, sanded after 24 hours, another coat, sanded and final coat put on with a small roller which made everything pretty even.
thanks for inquiring and the nice comments, and yes i will enjoy sitting aroung this as soon as the next 2or3 more i build. lol Now that i have worked out all the bugs on how to do this, there should be a lot less swearing involved. Please feel to contact me with any more questions.

dean9922
04-12-2009, 08:15 PM
That's funny BIg Tuck, me build a tank for you....lol
I believe you are one of the masters at this type of build.....and mine would not have turned out nearly what it is without all your advice.....

wgtaylor
04-12-2009, 10:38 PM
Dean, thanks for the reply. I'm sure many might be envious of your motivation. Sounds like you will have plenty of use for those tanks. Big Tuck has been quite a great mentor with your tank and his artificial rearing tank. You both should be commended on your sharing. Thanks, Bill

pete321
04-16-2009, 01:25 PM
What resin did you use? Was it an epoxy resin?

dean9922
04-22-2009, 12:33 AM
hi pete321
sorry i haven't got back to you....my hard drive crashed on my computer and i just got it back.....
anyway i used fibre glass resin with a tint you add to the resin after you let it dry for 24-48 hours, it is not toxic anymore...i would recommend getting a hold of anyone that carries fibre glass supplies....fish are doing well inside tank....worked awesome....

Eddie
04-23-2009, 02:57 AM
That is a super nice build, I like it alot. Very talented handy man. Soon you'll be shipping them out across the country. ;)

I'd order one from you, or maybe 6 or 7.

Eddie

Darren's Discus
04-23-2009, 04:12 AM
Dean,
nice work mate ! look forward to the pics with fish in the tank.

cheers

Big Tuck
04-23-2009, 11:45 AM
Stopped by Deans house in Prince George and took a look at Dens tank.All i can say is WOW! It is truly a beautiful tank.Dean profeses not to be a carpenter,but he really is a great one.His 2nd one is now almost complete,and its just as good as his first.Great work Dean,like i said before you can start on mine anytime. Tuck

dean9922
04-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Thanks Tuck, really appreciate that!!!!!

AquatiCreations
04-27-2009, 02:11 PM
This looks great! is there a trim on the inside for the glass to fit into? Also on large tanks do you think bracing would be necessary to prevent bowing?

dean9922
05-18-2009, 01:04 AM
sorry for the delay....the glass is just set on the frame of the wood viewing cutout and siliconed in with a 1 inch clearance on all sides of glass so it is "floating"
also, i have added 2 braces from the front to the back wood for extra strength.