PDA

View Full Version : update on Monster 300 gal tank...

ApacheDan
04-13-2009, 09:41 PM
It's taking a while, but making progress and learning as I go along....first comes the stand...incredible what you can do with 2 x 4'S..

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/thunderfoil/CIMG0280.jpg

this will do...they also make great workbenches...

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/thunderfoil/CIMG0283.jpg

it took 4 of us guys to move it, whoever says acrylic doesn't weight..
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/thunderfoil/CIMG0292.jpg

yikes....it almost touches the ceiling!!
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/thunderfoil/CIMG0293.jpg

background...humm how about a piece of linoleum from Home Depot, with a nice soft rock seamless theme and sprayed with blue highlights...
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/thunderfoil/CIMG0294.jpg

ahhh manzanita wood galore...already boiled and still releasing tanin in four 20 gal long tanks....I ordered extra thick and long
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/thunderfoil/CIMG0295.jpg

working on the 60gal wet dry...crates from Walmart to hold tons of bioballs, coupled with a massive pond canister/uv light....next will be lights, plants...
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/thunderfoil/CIMG0297.jpg

blkrob
04-13-2009, 09:47 PM
Wow! Looks like a great start to a dream project. I look forward to seeing the completed work.

Eddie
04-13-2009, 09:47 PM
Nice set-up, that tank is a monster. Man, that is insane big. It looks like takes up your entire living room. Makes your tv look like an ipod. LOL

Eddie

cyberhog05
04-14-2009, 12:00 AM
That is sweet!!! I too am looking forward to seeing this monster with water in it. If it was my tank I would wack off some of the height from the stand. I had a 110tall and it was such a pain to clean. And also with that kind of head your filter return is going to suffer some. But man what a sweet tank! I love tall tanks.

Elite Aquaria
04-14-2009, 12:05 AM
Dan,

What an awesome tank and setup....looks like you will be able to put a lot of quality fish in that tank.

shahrezsyed
04-14-2009, 01:34 AM
that is awesom...i,d give up my salary and allowance for 10 years if someone offers to give me that.
shahrez

shahrezsyed
04-14-2009, 01:36 AM
are you planning to raise juvies or are you gonna go straight to adults?
and how many are you gonna keep?

Darren's Discus
04-14-2009, 01:41 AM
Sensational !look forward to the updates.

cheers

poconogal
04-14-2009, 06:46 AM
That is going to be breathtaking when finished and filled with fish! Keep the updates coming and thanks for sharing!

Eddie
04-14-2009, 06:58 AM
What are planning for the tank? Hybrids or wilds? Biotope?

Eddie

ApacheDan
04-14-2009, 08:47 AM
Thank you all for the encouragement....it does take a lot of work, but it is very gratifying...
......Hey Dan, now you know the future home of those NG's,:D:D; don't worry, I've got a cycled 60 gal tank waiting for them..
...the overall height is 77", so I can still reach over and feed them daily. Now cleaning the tank is another matter. I thought about making the stand shorter, but I've done other projects where the space to work underneath is too low and just wanted to feel comfortable.
.....this will be a barebottom tank and guys stay tuned for a novel vacuum cleaner...pool-style(hint, see the hooks behind the tank in the wall?..that will be for storing the permanently-syphoned vacum, the drain pipe is behind the tank.....):D
....the idea is to make it an all-discus tank. At the ratio of 1 discus per 10 gals of water, I can stock it with 30 discus....imagine them all grown 8-10". I will start with juvies, hence the barebottom and heavy feeding...no rush, I enjoy see them grow. Of course there will be companions, like a cleaning crew of bristlenose plecos and corydoras. I also have to have some blue rams and I need about 100 dithering/schooling fish....any thoughts?
.....this is a 7 feet long x 42" high tank, lots of elbow room for discus, but it will be very challenging to arrange the manzanita with plants. I think I got some very unique ideas; thanks to manzanita.com, who provided me with some unique pieces of wood..
....since this will be a show tank, together with moonlights,etc, I will only select potential show-quality discus (so Kenny & Dan...here I go!);)

Eddie
04-14-2009, 08:51 AM
Thank you all for the encouragement....it does take a lot of work, but it is very gratifying...
......Hey Dan, now you know the future home of those NG's,:D:D; don't worry, I've got a cycled 60 gal tank waiting for them..
...the overall height is 77", so I can still reach over and feed them daily. Now cleaning the tank is another matter. I thought about making the stand shorter, but I've done other projects where the space to work underneath is too low and just wanted to feel comfortable.
.....this will be a barebottom tank and guys stay tuned for a novel vacuum cleaner...pool-style:D
....the idea is to make it an all-discus tank. At the ratio of 1 discus per 10 gals of water, I can stock it with 30 discus....imagine them all grown 8-10". I will start with juvies, hence the barebottom and heavy feeding...no rush, I enjoy see them grow. Of course there will be companions, like a cleaning crew of bristlenose plecos and corydoras. I also have to have some blue rams and I need about 100 dithering/schooling fish....any thoughts?
.....this is a 7 feet long x 42" high tank, lots of elbow room for discus, but it will be very challenging to arrange the manzanita with plants. I think I got some very unique ideas; thanks to manzanita.com, who provided me with some unique pieces of wood..
....since this will be a show tank, together with moonlights,etc, I will only select potential show-quality discus (so Kenny & Dan...here I go!);)

Sounds great Man, best of luck with everything and it sounds like you are definitely making a great choice for discus sources. ;)

Eddie

Kenny's Discus
04-14-2009, 09:18 AM
Dan,

That's an awesome looking acrylic tank setup. Can't wait to see when it's filled.:) Thanks for sharing!

Kenny

Tropical Haven
04-14-2009, 12:45 PM
Looking forward to the updates, this is going to be a sweet looking tank when finished.

shahrezsyed
04-14-2009, 02:29 PM
yikes...it has a 60gal wet dry system.....my main display tank is,nt even that big.....yet....lol:D

shahrezsyed
04-14-2009, 02:34 PM
i wonder how much ammonia is gonna be used to cycle the tank...yikes
shahrez
i calculated its gonna take 60ml. ammonia to bring it to 5ppm if the ammonia in the solution is 9.5%

hedut
04-14-2009, 05:23 PM
It's AWESOME :D:D:D, can't wait for the fish. Don't forget up date and thanks for sharing. If that mine, I can't clean reach them that to high for me:p:p:p:p

hendri

waters10
04-15-2009, 03:08 PM
Awesome! Just awesome! It's one of those things that a lot of people would love to do it, but very few actually do it! All wayne ng's fish? Or you're planning to mix them with others?

ApacheDan
04-16-2009, 08:33 AM
Awesome! Just awesome! It's one of those things that a lot of people would love to do it, but very few actually do it! All wayne ng's fish? Or you're planning to mix them with others?

I want to limit it to 30 discus, so I figured 10 NG's, 10-15 from Kenny's and 5 reserved for wilds:D today I'm ordering 10 albino long-fin bn's and 10 calico bn's...need to make my life easier..

ApacheDan
04-16-2009, 08:52 AM
It was taking forever to fill with filtered water...so the hell with it...garden hose, here I go....after all, it still has to cycle...
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/thunderfoil/CIMG0299.jpg

I made these pvc jets to simulate dual powerheads and painted blue...
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/thunderfoil/CIMG0298.jpg

yikes! you would imagine that with 6.5 feet of head, it would tame my 2400 gph pump, not so, I figure it still gives me 1800 gph, enough to cycle the tank 6x in one hour....not sure if the discus will like the river....
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/thunderfoil/CIMG0301.jpg

I thought I could get away with a free-fall overflow...man, it's like a 42" free fall & sounds like mini-niagara falls....need to make some dubros...
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/thunderfoil/CIMG0302.jpg

waters10
04-16-2009, 09:37 AM
I want to limit it to 30 discus, so I figured 10 NG's, 10-15 from Kenny's and 5 reserved for wilds:D today I'm ordering 10 albino long-fin bn's and 10 calico bn's...need to make my life easier..
Sounds cool! I know people usually say not to mix from different vendors, but with a tank like that, I'd get fish from at least 4 different sponsors here ... And I think I'd go with some angels mixed in.

What's the depth on this tank? It looks shallow, but it's probably becuase the other dimensions are so huge ...

ApacheDan
04-16-2009, 09:52 AM
What's the depth on this tank? It looks shallow, but it's probably becuase the other dimensions are so huge ...

The dimensions are 84" x 42" x 20", so it is a flat tall tank, just like discus :D

I'm not sure about angels....once I mixed some long veil-tails angels and one alpha rogue male became dominant over discus three times its size!! when it comes to feeding time, it can be a problem. We'll see, maybe I'll change my mind when I see how the setup develops...

BX
04-22-2009, 03:53 AM
Very nice set up! Cant wait to see it stocked. More tanks should be made available with dimensions similar to yours. Tall yet not so wide. Makes for an elegant space saver. I dont wanna tell you what to do but if I had a tank that tall I would do my best to try and anchor it to the wall so that it wont fall over on some small kid by accident.

ApacheDan
04-22-2009, 08:38 AM
Very nice set up! Cant wait to see it stocked. More tanks should be made available with dimensions similar to yours. Tall yet not so wide. Makes for an elegant space saver. I dont wanna tell you what to do but if I had a tank that tall I would do my best to try and anchor it to the wall so that it wont fall over on some small kid by accident.

Already thought about it. The stand is anchored to the wall and the tank is anchored as well...you just don't see it
:D

ApacheDan
04-22-2009, 09:48 AM
starting to look like something.... a dancing couple :D

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/thunderfoil/CIMG0311.jpg

calihawker
04-22-2009, 10:22 AM
I dont wanna tell you what to do but if I had a tank that tall I would do my best to try and anchor it to the wall so that it wont fall over on some small kid by accident.

I had a 240 SWFO tumble onto the floor during the 1989 SF earthquake. That was not a fun scene to come home to after work that day:(

Steve

Elite Aquaria
04-22-2009, 01:05 PM
Dan,

That looks great...I can't wait to see it stocked with fish...I need a big tank like that. If you can convince my wife to have a tank like that in the house you get free fish...:D

ApacheDan
04-22-2009, 02:45 PM
Dan,
If you can convince my wife to have a tank like that in the house you get free fish...:D

LOL, just give her the good, 'ole "but honey, I don't drink, I don't smoke...man has to have something" :D:D it works for me!

It's been challenging to get this setup going....the plumbery is done so it will do automatic water changes with a timer, overlflow from the sump goes to the backyard. Yesterday I got my crew of 20 bristlenose...real nice. That should help...

thebigone
04-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Looks like you have one great project on your hands there. Can't wait to see it filled with fish!:D Best of luck with it!

blue acara
04-22-2009, 07:35 PM
Huge tank...I want it! The dimentions are wow, you will have discus swimming at your eye level while standing up!

broken poles
04-22-2009, 08:34 PM
Awesome looking tank!makes my 180 look small. Regarding your flow rate-if I remember correctly every 90 degree turn adds the equivalant of 1 foot of head. That might help bring your water $movement down to a more discus friendly rate.

ApacheDan
04-25-2009, 08:55 AM
So what do you think guys? starting to look better? Here's my planted bridge..

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/thunderfoil/CIMG0315.jpg

water still cycling so there is some tanin in the water...
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/thunderfoil/CIMG0313.jpg
got some nubia, java ferns, crypts, amazon swords,....
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/thunderfoil/CIMG0316.jpg

and for those who ask how I was going to clean my tank, here's my quick-detachable, magnum-powered, collapsible-extendible syphon :D:D
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/thunderfoil/CIMG0303.jpg

Elite Aquaria
04-25-2009, 09:12 AM
Dan,

I love the plants...where did you get the pole for the tank cleaning?

ApacheDan
04-25-2009, 09:49 AM
Dan,

I love the plants...where did you get the pole for the tank cleaning?

at Walmart...car accesories/car washing/cleaning section. It is an aluminum pole with a screw-in garden hose end and the other end is for a screw-in brush. I just cut the tip of the brush end at a 45 degree angle, with a more larger inside diameter now. Total cost for the pole $9.99 :D:D

Elite Aquaria
04-25-2009, 09:53 AM
Guess were I am going today...;)

Scribbles
04-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Looking great. Smart idea with the pole.

Chris

thebigone
04-25-2009, 06:08 PM
Starting to look very nice with the driftwood and plants. Still can't wait to see it with some discus!!:D:D

Eddie
04-25-2009, 10:41 PM
Looks Beautiful! That is a nice little siphon set-up. Pretty nifty indeed. :D

Can't wait to see it stocked,

Eddie

Wahter
04-25-2009, 11:41 PM
Are you trying to grow the Cryptocoryne crispatula balansae and the Amazon swords on wood? They aren't species which grow on wood - their roots aren't like those of Anubias nor Java Ferns.

Walter

casw
04-26-2009, 12:18 AM
Wow, very cool setup! The bristlenose will make cleaning the viewing sides easier but will they end up scratching the acrylic?

ApacheDan
04-26-2009, 09:32 AM
Are you trying to grow the Cryptocoryne crispatula balansae and the Amazon swords on wood? They aren't species which grow on wood - their roots aren't like those of Anubias nor Java Ferns.

Walter

Thanks for the info, I'm a newbie with plants. When I chose plants, I tried to look for what everybody else was using. I wonder if I can change them to pots and attach the pots to the wood...hummm:confused:

ApacheDan
04-26-2009, 09:37 AM
Wow, very cool setup! The bristlenose will make cleaning the viewing sides easier but will they end up scratching the acrylic?

There has been a long debate on plecos and acrylic. The concensus is that big plecos, like panaques can put a hurt on your tank because of their big rasping teeth. Bristlenose grow to about 5" and their teeth are that much small. They pick soft algae from surfaces without digging in, which they might do with wood; which I will have plenty. Some report that after some long time, the tank appears "hazy", and might need re-buffing. That said, most people think that you will scratch your tank faster than any pleco.

Check out these small teeth;
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/thunderfoil/IMG_0801_edited1.jpg

Wahter
04-26-2009, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the info, I'm a newbie with plants. When I chose plants, I tried to look for what everybody else was using. I wonder if I can change them to pots and attach the pots to the wood...hummm:confused:

There's a lot of good info at Tropica's website: http://www.tropica.com/

HTH,

Walter

matt511
04-27-2009, 05:00 AM
Hey Dan if you change the length of the stand pipe in your over flow box the sound will be deminished alot. You might have to change the bulk head depending on how you have your standpipe set up.

matt511
04-27-2009, 05:07 AM
check out this link http://www.dursostandpipes.com/

ApacheDan
04-27-2009, 10:03 AM
Hey Dan if you change the length of the stand pipe in your over flow box the sound will be deminished alot. You might have to change the bulk head depending on how you have your standpipe set up.

Actually I used both standpipes for the overflow (1" +1.5"), since the return is from twin separate jet pipes. The sound has been controlled now, thanks.:D

Apistomaster
04-28-2009, 08:42 PM
You do have a unique aquarium.
Good idea you had for solving the bottom vacuuming chores.

Their is no risk that the Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus will harm the finish of the plexiglas.
The only 'problem' with many Ancistrus is that they will be breeding prolifically eventually. Mine begin spawning at 9-10 months post-hatch. Large, 3 year old, adult females regularly produce ~90 fry per spawn every month. I can only imagine how many 20 or so adults could produce each month.

I would not stock it with more than 20 Discus. Despite the 300+gals volume and plenty of filtration, your surface area should be your guide rather than the gallons of water it holds.
I know the sump could be counted towards your total surface area but if you take a little more conservative stocking approach it will pay off in the form of larger Discus in the end.
Larger Discus would only make your display all the more impressive.

I am a fan of wet/dry filter systems for large Discus tanks and I run mine at a rate 10-12 volumes per hour. I divide the return flows to exit top and bottom and from opposite sides.
This tends to cancel out the 'flowing river' effect and Discus love the higher dissolved oxygen levels wet/dry filter are able to maintain.
Wet/dry filters are often called nitrate factories and they are. That is never a problem in Discus tanks because we change plenty of water unlike reef tanks.

I think you will be very glad they have invented heavy duty floating magnet algae cleaners.

dean9922
04-29-2009, 12:39 AM
WOW WOW WOW....Unbelievable.......love the tank, the driftwood and the total overall setup......also love the cleaning set up you have and will be heading to walmart tomorrow...thanks for the great idea

kats3kids
05-03-2009, 06:20 PM
WOW!!! Thats Nice!!!

shahrezsyed
05-09-2009, 07:05 AM
when are you gonna put fish and post pics againn.....!!!!!!!! i,m losin patience...................when i saw the tank..i was like..awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwesomeee.
shahrez

Elite Aquaria
05-09-2009, 07:16 AM
Dan, I agree put those Wayne fish you got from me in that monster tank...;)

ApacheDan
05-09-2009, 09:10 AM
Finally, .....after weeks of waiting....CYCLED!! in the time that it was running with lights and plants, there's already some algae to clean. Now I got to empty the whole thing & fill with fresh water...whew!:p

In the time that it took to cycle, many thoughts crossed my mind...and it is so tempting to dump all my juvies in there and let them grow, but for now I will only start with a few that reached at least 3" in size. The rest of them I will keep on separate grow out tanks until they reach at least 3", which should be in a few months. Meanwhile, I will plant some Apistos and need about 100 Cardinal Tetras.

I will be holding back some Wayne NG' for the following project:

WayneNG's Blue Knights x Stendker German Brilliant Blue Turqs
WayneNG's Red Covers x Wattley Red Passions
Wayne NG's Sunshine Eruptions x WayneNG's Maze

I figured out if I drop them all in that giant tank, my chances of fishing them out later will be slim to none:o so might as well, keep them apart, until I get the mated pairs I'm hoping for.

oh, yes,,now I'm thinking about bn's gone reprodution-wild. I think I will stock it with maybe 10 bn's to start with, and some cories. That's it for now..pics coming soon!

discusjoe27
05-10-2009, 01:45 PM
when will this project be finished, I want to see photos!

cc_woman
05-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Looks great :) If you can pot the crypts and the swords they will grow.....maybe put the pots on the bottom of the tank and get a nice set of big tongs to get them out if they need trimming, or if having to move them around to vacuum the tank. Can't wait to see it with fish in it.

shahrezsyed
05-14-2009, 08:30 AM
please.... sned me pics....pics....pics....pictures.or i,m gonna have a nervous breakdown...lol

ApacheDan
05-14-2009, 10:57 AM
please.... sned me pics....pics....pics....pictures.or i,m gonna have a nervous breakdown...lol

Patience is a virtue....and to me, setting a tank like this is art....you can't rush art :D:D

There are a lot of technical problems involved dealing with a 7 foot long & 42" tall tank:

Filtration is one of them....how can you turnover the tank 6-7X in one hour without creating a river and all the staple food ending in the overflow?...working with powerheads now to counter the current

Filtration again....how do you make sure all layers of water are properly circulated and not just the top? working with 2nd water return tube to move all water

Bare bottom....when you get it at eye level, it is just funny how every piece of debris just jumps in your face. No good for a show tank. My syphon is doing a so-so job, because I got to move around plants, so it is a long task. My corydoras and bn's are doing a good job, but still...debris left. I'm going to put a layer of gravel on it, no longer bare bottom

Plants, oh yes....I'm a newbie to this & I ended up planting some plants that won't grow attached to manzanita wood....now I got to replant on pots...

Last, but not least .....discus....they deserve a good environment before you put them in there and risk some water quality issue or stress them because you are still experimenting & moving things around...it's best to avoid this.

So....sorry, no pics....they will be posted eventually, when things are ready. I won't rush this project to have an "instant perfect discus tank". We as fishkeepers need to respect the life of our fish first...:)

Diamond Discus
05-14-2009, 11:33 AM
Sounds like a great philosophy Dan!! We can be patient too. ;)

MalawiTango
05-20-2009, 02:49 PM
<--------- eagerly anticipating pics!!!

calihawker
05-21-2009, 01:14 AM
You're absolutely right Dan, no rush. Can't wait till it's finished though. It's gonna be fabulous.:D:D

ApacheDan
05-24-2009, 09:37 PM
Well guys, I finally got where I want to be with this tank, and it wasn't easy.

I had to redo the return pipe to make a spraybar that would cover all 42" and move all levels of the water column..
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/thunderfoil/CIMG0384.jpg
the top have dual nozzles and provides excellent surface movement..
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/thunderfoil/CIMG0387.jpg
I moved the manzanita tripods together, kept the wood bridge and added 2 large "cup style" pots from Home Depot made of resin + stone. The spray bar pushes debris towards one end and makes it a lot easier to syphon
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/thunderfoil/CIMG0398.jpg
Yeah, I know...purist don't mix Discus & Angels,...well I don't subscribe to those thoughts...besides those are Pinoy angels!
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/thunderfoil/CIMG0415.jpg
one thing I noticed is that with the height of the tank, they love to fully spread their fins...hopefully the bigger space will help them grow that much more. By the way, the pots are half full with bioballs and half with fluorite substrate
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/thunderfoil/CIMG0408.jpg
the fish love to go all up and down the water column and also to explore under the manzanita bridge. Not shown are about 20 longfin bristlenose plecos and 10 corydoras
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/thunderfoil/CIMG0391.jpg

Eddie
05-24-2009, 09:58 PM
Man that is one monster tank and alot of fish. It looks GREAT!

All the best,
Eddie

Disgirl
05-24-2009, 10:28 PM
WOW! Awesome!
Barbara :)

Scribbles
05-24-2009, 11:07 PM
What a showpiece! Well done!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Chris

seanyuki
05-24-2009, 11:26 PM
That's is one awesome looking tank...those small guys are soooo cute.
Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Francis:)

ApacheDan
05-25-2009, 10:06 AM
..thanks for the kind comments. For the records, I got 32 discus in there, of course the showpiece are Wayne NG's fish. Also a couple of Koi Angels and about 18 Pinoy/Paraiba angels. The system works on automated water changes, so I plumbed it with timers. So far, I'm doing aprox 20% daily water changes. I feed them frozen beefheart in the mornings and/or flakes, during the day they get 3X tetra bits and bloodworms at night. At night the automated lights change to moonlights....quite a view :D:D

Elite Aquaria
05-25-2009, 10:45 AM
Dan,

Your show tank looks fantastic...I can't wait to see those fish full grown in that beauty.

ApacheDan
05-25-2009, 10:47 AM
I'm 5'10" and always wanted to see discus eye to eye while standing up ...LOL:D
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/thunderfoil/CIMG0417.jpg
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/thunderfoil/CIMG0418.jpg

poconogal
05-25-2009, 12:48 PM
Just awesome... The discus look great in there and I love the Pinoy Angels, too.

discolove
05-26-2009, 12:17 AM
Wow that is impressive to say the least. Simply awesome work.

Eyecandy
05-26-2009, 02:58 PM
Hi Dan... All I can say is WOW... that is one awesome looking setup..:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:. when those guys are all full grown it's gonna be unbelieveable.. I love the mix of discus and angels.. Congrats... Sue:D

2075turner
05-27-2009, 11:16 PM
That is a georgeous tank that you have there. Thanks for sharing:)

discusjoe27
05-31-2009, 12:41 PM
that tank is pretty, it makes me miss my 240. my parents thought it was to big and it in a way it was because it went from wall to wall in the computer room.
I made my money back on it though.

Keasbeynights
05-31-2009, 01:16 PM
That tank is simply amazing. Nice work.

SriAngel
05-31-2009, 02:03 PM
I'm 5'10" and always wanted to see discus eye to eye while standing up ...LOL:D
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/thunderfoil/CIMG0417.jpg
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/thunderfoil/CIMG0418.jpg

I love how that sunrise is eye to eye with you. Watch out for the sunrise that is at your chest level, he's going to spot up crazy!

gulay
06-01-2009, 05:37 AM
A wonderful tank, thanks for sharing Dan... I also like the tanks having both angels and discus as in their natural habitats. I can't imagine how this beauty changes into a mystery when the lights change to moonlight at night...

arapaimag
06-01-2009, 05:34 PM
Great that you have provided your fish with a large tank. I am sure they enjoy the room to swim.

Gunz05gunz
06-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Where did you end up getting your tank from? Never seen one so tall.

DiscusKeeper403
06-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Looks awesome!

calihawker
06-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Great job Dan!! Can't wait to see those puppies fully grown.:D

Eddie
06-23-2009, 12:24 PM
Dan......how about some updated pictures of the monster! Would love to see them Wayne's fish. ;)

Eddie

Cooldadddyfunk286
06-23-2009, 03:42 PM
I was thinkin the same thing Eddie!

Dan - you gotta post a slew of updated pics for us! your tank is so freakin awesome. I love how you can stand there and see them eye to eye, thats the coolest thing in the world. it looks really great with the pinoy angels mixed in aswell. all looks 100% fantastic! keep up the good work and pleeeeease post some more nice pics when you get a chance.

yikesjason
06-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Great tank! I love the height and scale. The fish are dwarfed by the tank. The pots are a nice touch too. They help emphasize the amazing height.

I am still mostly a planted tank guy, slowly being pulled in by discus. So I am curious about the plants. What are you using for lighting? are you adding any supplements for the plants?

My one suggestion would be to switch to altum angelfish.

Eddie
06-26-2009, 09:59 AM
bump

Adam Robinson
06-26-2009, 10:10 AM
WOW THAT IS ONE AMAZING TANK GREAT WORK AND GOOD LUCK

grantbudd74
07-02-2009, 10:04 AM
curious to know why you would have a plant in that fancy plant pot? Doen not really help create a natural scape..Just a thought as you have wood and a java fern I think it is and then the pot..how do you clean it? its a long way down to the bottom...

Eddie
07-15-2009, 05:10 AM
Dan....you alive?

chemjab
08-10-2009, 08:09 AM
Well guys, I finally got where I want to be with this tank, and it wasn't easy.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Yeah, I know...purist don't mix Discus & Angels,...well I don't subscribe to those thoughts...besides those are Pinoy angels!
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/thunderfoil/CIMG0415.jpg

A wonderful setup and write up too. Thanks for sharing.

I'm wondering how the angels and discus are doing together after several months? I have wanted to mix them, but have been told that it is not a good idea. What is your experience?

James

Chef
08-10-2009, 06:26 PM
very nice set up.