PDA

View Full Version : 3"+ Altum Flora top fin mysteriously chopped off

CammieTime
04-14-2009, 10:49 PM
So my 3"+ Altum Flora from Kenny, both of them actually, have big chucks missing out of the very top part of their fins. Remember these guys have super tall top fins. The damage looks like bite marks, but I actually have no idea what caused it. The flesh around the wound is white looking and you can easily see the bone of the dorsal fin stick out into the water. The wound is about 5mm in length. It is like the flesh was just ripped away, exposing the bone.

I am absolutly baffled why this would happend...any thoughts?

Eddie
04-14-2009, 10:59 PM
So my 3"+ Altum Flora from Kenny, both of them actually, have big chucks missing out of the very top part of their fins. Remember these guys have super tall top fins. The damage looks like bite marks, but I actually have no idea what caused it. The flesh around the wound is white looking and you can easily see the bone of the dorsal fin stick out into the water. The wound is about 5mm in length. It is like the flesh was just ripped away, exposing the bone.

I am absolutly baffled why this would happend...any thoughts?

What tank mates do you have? What ornamentation(wood, rocks) in the tank?

Eddie

mcsinny99
04-15-2009, 04:44 AM
I agree, doesn't sound like discus wounds. Do you have aggressive tank mates? Discus generally "nip", big bites sounds like a bad tank mate.

William Palumbo
04-15-2009, 07:57 AM
They may have been spooked and hit the tank top. I have witnessed damage like that on Discus before from that...Bill