PDA

View Full Version : Carbon use...

theteflondon
04-15-2009, 08:45 PM
I have been a member of this forum for a little while from the advice I have received from you guys I have removed the carbon from my filter. Since then I noticed that my water is never as crystal clear as it was when i used the carbon. So here is my question... Would smaller ammounts of carbon have the same bad effects on my fish as the large amount I used to use? Or is there an alternative media that does the same thing? I currently use all ceramic cylinders and sponges in my fx5 and 405 I recently added floss thinking it would help clear up the water but it doesn't. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Eddie
04-15-2009, 09:03 PM
I have been a member of this forum for a little while from the advice I have received from you guys I have removed the carbon from my filter. Since then I noticed that my water is never as crystal clear as it was when i used the carbon. So here is my question... Would smaller ammounts of carbon have the same bad effects on my fish as the large amount I used to use? Or is there an alternative media that does the same thing? I currently use all ceramic cylinders and sponges in my fx5 and 405 I recently added floss thinking it would help clear up the water but it doesn't. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=70505

hedut
04-15-2009, 09:30 PM
I you use any carbon your fish gonna sick very soon, that happen to me:p:p:p

Palue
04-15-2009, 10:37 PM
I run carbon all the time in my tanks, I have always used it in my 20+ years in the hobby. The trick is it must be changed often for it to be affective in the tank, but yes it will keep your water clear.

For the folks that do daily water changes I am sure they don't use carbon.

I think it is something that if it works for you to not use it then do it. But don't go on what works for one it might not work for you as it depends on you aqarium maintenance you do.

I have this friend whom has the most beautiful saltwater tanks, she read on a forum that canister filters are nothing but nitrate traps for saltwater. She disconnected all her filters and in a month she crashed all her tanks. Many $$$$$$ down the drain.

So do what works for you.......;)

Eddie
04-15-2009, 10:43 PM
Very true Debbie.

Carbon has its place and there are times when it is needed but there are better forms of media out there. Something that you will never have to replace. ;)

Eddie

theteflondon
04-15-2009, 10:45 PM
I run carbon all the time in my tanks, I have always used it in my 20+ years in the hobby. The trick is it must be changed often for it to be affective in the tank, but yes it will keep your water clear.

For the folks that do daily water changes I am sure they don't use carbon.

I think it is something that if it works for you to not use it then do it. But don't go on what works for one it might not work for you as it depends on you aqarium maintenance you do.

I have this friend whom has the most beautiful saltwater tanks, she read on a forum that canister filters are nothing but nitrate traps for saltwater. She disconnected all her filters and in a month she crashed all her tanks. Many $$$$$$ down the drain.

So do what works for you.......;)

I used to use it before I changed it every 3 months though how often do you change it?

Palue
04-15-2009, 10:56 PM
I change it every month but not all of them at the same time. I have a fluval canister that is quite new and in the 3 compartments I have 3 carbon bags, 3 areas for the biomax balls.

In my past filters HOB I would change it monthly.

I have never had any issues with sick fish using carbon. My cobalt blue is 2 years old now and was in my old tank with carbon running all the time. Never had any issues with health. But this is what works for me.

I have learned my lesson, "if it works leave it alone".

But I do know there are many folks that use other stuff like Eddie mentioned, so I don't think there is any right or wrong way to raise Discus just find what works for you.

:angel:

nickmcmechan
04-16-2009, 03:11 AM
I you use any carbon your fish gonna sick very soon, that happen to me:p:p:p

explain that for me...and how you know it was the carbon? :)