PDA

View Full Version : My New Rena Smartheater

poconogal
04-16-2009, 12:43 PM
Had to buy a new heater for QT the other day to replace the 3-1/2 week old Stealth that died, and ended up with the Rena Smartheater, 200W. Its been running for 2-1/2 days now. I hooked it up as soon as I got home with it, I'm using it as a regular stand alone stick heater right now, and per instructions I checked temp 12 hrs. later and it was down 1 degree. I made a tiny adjustment to the knob and its been cycling on and off just fine, maintaining 84.5 degrees. It has a great big light, very easy to see, which is supposed to flash fast or slow, depending on whether the temp is higher or lower than the set temp. A steady glowing light means its heating, and no light means the water is at your set temp, just like other heaters (unless its a Stealth, of course, with no light).

So far, its working great and I can recommend this heater. Now let's see how long it lasts! After QT is done, I'll be replacing the intake on my XP3 and installing the Smartheater in my 75. I'll set it lower than 84, which what my Hydor Inline is set for and maintains, just in case something goes wrong with the Hydor and it quits on me. Been using the inline since Oct. 2006, but you never know...

csarkar001
04-16-2009, 01:06 PM
i have been growing increasingly unhappy with my ehiems and will eventually migrate to an alternative. please keep us up to date on this ...

poconogal
04-16-2009, 01:17 PM
If you have a canister I highly, highly recommend the Hydor ETH inline heater. It is amazingly accurate. Imagine a heater that you set at 84 and you actually get 84.0 on your thermometer reading, day in and day out! Accurate for the last 2-1/2 years already!

I'll try to remember to post a follow up on the Smartheater, but I know others have been using them for awhile now and are very happy with them, too.

csarkar001
04-16-2009, 02:56 PM
my problem is that i need about 700 watts of heating and so currently use three heaters. using one 300 watt inline and two internal doesnt help me much. i could chain two in-lines together, i suppose.

poconogal
04-16-2009, 03:47 PM
my problem is that i need about 700 watts of heating and so currently use three heaters. using one 300 watt inline and two internal doesnt help me much. i could chain two in-lines together, i suppose.

700W of heating? What the heck are you heating? :D

Diamond Discus
04-16-2009, 04:26 PM
I'm glad you are happy with the heater. I like my 2 a lot. They are extremely solid and well made. It would be hard to break it even if you dropped it, don't you think? :D

poconogal
04-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Sue yes, I was impressed with how well it seems like its made, its does look like quality and works very well, so far. Temp is still on the spot!