PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on Won D-85 controller and titanium heaters

davejep
04-18-2009, 11:17 PM
I did a search on the Won heaters and discovered back in 2005 there was little love for this line of heaters.
So in 4 years have things improved?
Are these heaters any good?
Would you trust $1000 of discus to these heaters?
Please give me your opinion good or bad.
I have been reading up here, trying to decide on what heaters to use.
There seems to be lots of negative stuff with almost every heater out there.
I like the idea of a separate controller, just not sure which one to go with.
If you are using one you love of hate, do tell.

Ok sounds like a definite pass on the Won's
How about the Via Aqua heaters, anybody have feedback on them?

DonMD
04-19-2009, 07:30 AM
I have 3 of these WON heaters. What I like about them is that the temperature controller is external. But one quit working, and I'm down to two. However, after reading so many posts here, I've ordered two Hydor heaters, and am looking forward to removing the titanium elements and associated wires from the tank.

HTH. -Don

KDodds
04-19-2009, 07:54 AM
Same here, although this goes back to 2006, two controllers. First failed after about 3 months, reading in the 100ºsF, obviously wrong, and not allowing the heater to turn on. I contacted WON Bros. to no avail for weeks. When they eventually got around to responding, they offered to replace it but only if I paid shipping both ways (they wanted the return). So I did a little investigating and found out that controller failure was likely to be repetitive. So, I forewent their offer of replacement. And looked into other high wattage heaters. About a month later, the second controller failed completely. A RenaCal array is now running my 450.

alpine
04-19-2009, 08:31 PM
" Are these heaters any good?
Would you trust $1000 of discus to these heaters? "

No,
Roberto.