PDA

View Full Version : How To Do a Salt Dip

poconogal
04-19-2009, 08:24 AM
The following are Paul's (pcsb23 - an Administrator on SD) instructions for a salt dip. I thought these instructions would come in handy at some point for someone:

Salt dip:

2 tablespoons per gallon water. ANY salt so long as there are no anti-clog additives. Iodised salt is safe, cooking salt is cheaper.

Mix in a clean bucket with water of the same temp or from the tank. Net fish and place into bucket. After 30 mins remove back to clean water, BUT if the fish rolls over before the 30 minutes is up then remove it straight away to clean water.

I normally give the tank a good clean through when doing this or put them into a newly setup tank, but not everyone has the tankage.

The dip can be repeated daily (even twice daily) if needed for as long as necessary (well easily 2 weeks).

It is typical to see the fish drop slime, I normally do a mini w/c an hour or so after to remove the slime if its visible.

smiley
09-03-2009, 02:28 AM
it would be great if you could mention all the benefits of a salt dip as well (especially for beginners like me :) )

Eddie
09-03-2009, 02:34 AM
it would be great if you could mention all the benefits of a salt dip as well (especially for beginners like me :) )

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/VM007

smiley
09-03-2009, 06:02 AM
Thanks Eddie,

Just clarifying

A 3 percent salt dip effectively removes protozoa from the skin, gills, and fins of freshwater fish; it also enhances mucus production. Depending on the species, fish can remain in a 3 percent salt solution from 30 seconds to 10 minutes. In general, fish should be left in the salt solution until they lose equilibrium and roll over

Mandatory to roll over ???

Eddie
09-03-2009, 06:17 AM
Thanks Eddie,

Just clarifying

Mandatory to roll over ???

More or less, they will sometimes last the 30 minutes easily. I like to use more salt, they won't last long with a higher salt concentration. Its entirely dependent on the fish. Not that I would advise it, I have used a half a cup of salt in 1 gallon of water. The fish go in and roll immediately, I tap the fish, it wiggles a little and I put it in fresh water. Very risky and extremely harsh on the fish. I would not advise that method. :o

Eddie

markstr
09-16-2009, 03:06 AM
I've heard that you can do a fairly quick dip 7 1/2 Tblsp. per gallon of water.
Is this true ??

pcsb23
09-16-2009, 09:44 AM
I've heard that you can do a fairly quick dip 7 1/2 Tblsp. per gallon of water.
Is this true ??The higher the concentration, the shorter time the fish will be able to stand it, the smaller your margins for error are.

20 minutes is not a long time to wait, and 20 minutes at two to three heaped tablespoons per gallon is adequate imo/e whether or not they roll over. If they do roll they must be removed immediately.

smiley
09-28-2009, 11:48 AM
Got a scare today...I dipped my BD with a higher concentration of salt. Was thinking why he wasnt rolling over even after 10 minutes...Finally he was starting to tilt. so i thought i would take him out and check..When i looked at him he looked BLEACHED... (blue patches here and there)..got so scared that i thot I wud have lost it if i kept for some more time..phewww!

Is this normal? When i put it back...it started gaining color..It would have been less confusing if the color was lost uniformly rather than having patches

Eddie
09-28-2009, 07:38 PM
Got a scare today...I dipped my BD with a higher concentration of salt. Was thinking why he wasnt rolling over even after 10 minutes...Finally he was starting to tilt. so i thought i would take him out and check..When i looked at him he looked BLEACHED... (blue patches here and there)..got so scared that i thot I wud have lost it if i kept for some more time..phewww!

Is this normal? When i put it back...it started gaining color..It would have been less confusing if the color was lost uniformly rather than having patches

This is totally normal, the fish will look blotched and dark/light patches. Sometimes the fish will float to the bottom or lay listlessly for a little bit before starting to swim again. A salt dip is tough on the fish, it strips their slimecoat.

Eddie

frenchie100
10-16-2009, 12:38 AM
I just read that when doing a salt dip using RO water you should always have an airstone in there because RO water does not have any dissolved oxygen in it.

When I was doing salt dips I did start using an airstone and had noticed that the fish lasted longer in the dip if it had air. My water is 2/3 RO so maybe that's why! Nothing scientific about this, just an observation and wondering if you guys had similar experiences?

Do you guys use airstones in your dips?

Julie :)

Eddie
10-17-2009, 09:03 AM
I just read that when doing a salt dip using RO water you should always have an airstone in there because RO water does not have any dissolved oxygen in it.

When I was doing salt dips I did start using an airstone and had noticed that the fish lasted longer in the dip if it had air. My water is 2/3 RO so maybe that's why! Nothing scientific about this, just an observation and wondering if you guys had similar experiences?

Do you guys use airstones in your dips?

Julie :)

Hey Julie, missed this one. I use straight tap and still add and airstone. I generally use extra air during dips and most treatments.

Eddie

frenchie100
10-18-2009, 02:36 AM
That makes perfect sense! Thanks Eddie ;)

rickztahone
11-07-2009, 03:44 PM
are repeat dips recommended? i'm in the process of one currently.

Eddie
11-07-2009, 08:25 PM
are repeat dips recommended? i'm in the process of one currently.

Hey Ricardo, do you mean in the same day? I wouldn't do more than one a day but you could them daily until the problem is gone. Some prefer every other day since a salt dip can be pretty rough on the fish.

Eddie

rickztahone
11-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Hey Ricardo, do you mean in the same day? I wouldn't do more than one a day but you could them daily until the problem is gone. Some prefer every other day since a salt dip can be pretty rough on the fish.

Eddie

yeah i meant on a daily basis. i did my first salt dip and my AF never rolled over. i had him in a 5g bucket with 10tbs of salt. put him back and he's doing fine. lost a little bit of slime coat but i read that was normal. i will keep observing.

Eddie
11-07-2009, 09:47 PM
yeah i meant on a daily basis. i did my first salt dip and my AF never rolled over. i had him in a 5g bucket with 10tbs of salt. put him back and he's doing fine. lost a little bit of slime coat but i read that was normal. i will keep observing.

Sounds good, you put him back in the main tank or QT? :o

Eddie

rickztahone
11-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Sounds good, you put him back in the main tank or QT? :o

Eddie

had to put him back to the main tank since my juvies are in my QT tank. i didn't want to leave him where i treated him because it's too small. i've been observing them though and they haven't been punking him. he even ate some BW

Eddie
11-07-2009, 10:47 PM
had to put him back to the main tank since my juvies are in my QT tank. i didn't want to leave him where i treated him because it's too small. i've been observing them though and they haven't been punking him. he even ate some BW

Word....didn't know you had some juvies...:confused:

Eddie

rickztahone
11-07-2009, 11:02 PM
Word....didn't know you had some juvies...:confused:

Eddie

all my turks and AFxSS cross- 6 total juvies

Eddie
11-07-2009, 11:05 PM
all my turks and AFxSS cross- 6 total juvies

Ah....nearing sub-adult no? They are getting big. :D

Eddie

rickztahone
11-07-2009, 11:08 PM
Ah....nearing sub-adult no? They are getting big. :D

Eddie

well the grade A forrest red turks and AFxSS are over 5" now and are only about 7 months or so i believe. the carnation turks are much smaller at around 4-4.5" i can't really tell. they are only about 5 months old. i need to setup my last tank that's in my backyard. it needs to be siliconed though.

discusjoe27
11-19-2009, 07:48 PM
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/VM007

THANKS, I booked mark that site, I was going to ask what a salt dip is used for.
thanks for answering that question.

dbfzurowski
11-24-2009, 03:27 AM
Hey guys,
Would you recommend doing salt dips on regular bases to avoid the parasites?
Like once a week or only when visible problem?
Or would it be better to add salt to main tank?
thanks

Eddie
11-24-2009, 04:19 AM
Hey guys,
Would you recommend doing salt dips on regular bases to avoid the parasites?
Like once a week or only when visible problem?
Or would it be better to add salt to main tank?
thanks

Nope, they are too tough on the fish and should be done when there is a definite need. Some people do prophylactic treatments but salt dipping, generally isnt one of them.

Eddie

dbfzurowski
11-24-2009, 03:37 PM
is it safe to say salt dip might stunt a juvenile discus? since its:

they are too tough on the fish
I'm new to discus so i might have a few stupid questions.

rickztahone
11-24-2009, 03:52 PM
is it safe to say salt dip might stunt a juvenile discus? since its:

I'm new to discus so i might have a few stupid questions.

not directly but indirectly. what i mean is that while the salt dip itself will not stunt a discus the aftermath of a salt dip can. if it goes off food and starts to hide and such then it will start getting stunted. like Eddie said, if it is not needed, do not do it.

dbfzurowski
11-24-2009, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

Foxfire
05-05-2010, 08:45 AM
:confused:Why dip a discus at all in a very high level salt solution?

Since discus like salt (as a tonic at 1 teaspoon/gal; duration, indefinitely), and can use high temp (up to 90F) safely, won't this treatment over a few days kill all gill flukes or ick?

Are there other reasons to nearly kill a fish/strip them of slime?

Eddie
05-05-2010, 08:56 PM
:confused:Why dip a discus at all in a very high level salt solution?

Since discus like salt (as a tonic at 1 teaspoon/gal; duration, indefinitely), and can use high temp (up to 90F) safely, won't this treatment over a few days kill all gill flukes or ick?

Are there other reasons to nearly kill a fish/strip them of slime?

This was already posted in post #3

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vm007

;)

dark_spell
05-31-2010, 07:53 PM
Can I use those salt used for saltwater tanks? I found some extra stuff in my basement!

Eddie
05-31-2010, 07:57 PM
Can I use those salt used for saltwater tanks? I found some extra stuff in my basement!

No, this will also increase alkalinity/PH.

bruceau
09-11-2010, 07:54 AM
this was very helpful for me check it out:

Taken From: http://www.kwas.ca/forum/showthread.php?6310-How-do-I-do-a-salt-bath-to-my-discus&p=43710

<SNIP>
This was posted by bradscichlids during the, now famous, "discus/metro joode and cowchick" thread last year. Others will hopefully chime in with their personal experience.

as im not a discus keeper and i havnt had any since the early 70s i found this article and i learned something that i had thought was completely wrong as i was always under the impression discus were fragile to a high doseage of salt
remember when doing salt baths and dips good aeration is a must

QUOTE FROM ANOTHER SITE:

Discus Salt Dip Methodology
Type of salt to use:
The type of salt used should be non-iodized and contain no ‘free flow’ or other additives (e.g. no iodine or sodium ferrocyanide etc. I have used ‘Freshwater Aquarium Salt’, rock salt and sea salt. If purchasing non-aquarium salt please read the packaging carefully as current trends show an increase in the use of additives even in natural products such as rock salt (UK).
If new to Salt Dipping
If new to dipping fish a good place to start would be with a 1.5-2% salt solution; for more experienced users I would suggest you start with a 3% solution immediately. The solution should be made up in a clean bucket or spare (fishless) tank. Whilst it is preferable to weigh out the correct amount of salt e.g. for a 2% solution one would use 20g of salt per litre of water, the following approximate measure are given for the sake of simplicity.
1 TABLESPOON of salt approximates to 15grams.
Therefore 1 TABLESPOON of salt per litre of water equates to a 1.5% solution
Worked examples (See Table 1 for other strengths):
· If your bucket/tank contains 10 litres of water you would add 13 tablespoons of salt to get an approximate 2% salt solution
· Or - If you place 3 US gallons of water in a 5 gallon bucket you would add 14½ tablespoons of salt - to get an approximate 2% solution.
And so on
· It is important to ensure that the salt is fully dissolved before placing the fish in the bucket/tank and that the water temperature matches the tank from which the fish are taken.
As you will need to multi-dip throughout the day, place a heater in the tank, if you do not want to have to remake new salt solution each time; personally I make a fresh solution for each dip.
Before you place the fish in the solution please remember that:
· The length of time that you can leave discus in the solution varies greatly from a few seconds to 30 minutes
o 5 minutes would be a reasonable average
· The time they tolerate the dip DECREASES with the number of dips performed in a 24 hour period
· The fish MUST NOT be left unattended
· During the treatment your fish may show some interesting discolouration, do not worry this is short term.
Place the fish into the solution as quickly and as carefully as possible - then observe closely.
Initially, the respiration of the fish will increase substantially, 120 gill beats per minute is not uncommon. At some point, the fish will keel over on its side - and it is at this point that the novice should remove the fish and return it to its tank. If you are confident and experienced in dipping you may want to extend the time that the fish is exposed to the saline solution - I have found it effective to leave the fish in the solution until the gill beats have slowed to around 20 bpm - irrespective of whether the fish has keeled over or not.
Once the fish are returned to their tank they should within a few minutes regain their composure. If they appear to be in difficulty, the fish can be supported using your hands and then gently pulled backwards through the water at a slow pace - so that water is forced over the gills.
I have dipped 5 times a day for up to 7 days and there has been no lasting negative effect. It is important that the dips continue until all visible signs of infection are gone.
END QUOTE

i hope this helps
brad
</SNIP>

obama6493
02-28-2011, 07:58 AM

Eddie

Fourseasonz
04-25-2011, 11:29 PM
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I had my discus for a month now, never had a problem until recently. Today I noticed that they developed gill flukes so I did the salt dip as instructed by this thread. After the procedure, they are now breathing normally which is a good sign but I noticed that they developed white spots on their fins almost as if they got fin rot, is this normal?

Jonathan

Eddie
04-26-2011, 01:09 AM
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I had my discus for a month now, never had a problem until recently. Today I noticed that they developed gill flukes so I did the salt dip as instructed by this thread. After the procedure, they are now breathing normally which is a good sign but I noticed that they developed white spots on their fins almost as if they got fin rot, is this normal?

Jonathan

Hey Jon, and welcome. How do you know your fish are suffering from gill flukes?

Also, whenever doing a salt dip, its important to return the fish to another tank (hospital) for observation. Returning them to the main tank, just lets the bugs attack the fish even more as a salt dip is quite harsh.

Fourseasonz
04-26-2011, 01:50 AM
Thank you for the reply

I know it has gill flukes because two of them had gill flukes and one of them had a clamped gill and was breathing rapidly. Unfortunately, my QT is in use right now, so I can only put them back into the main tank. What treatments can I use to kill the eggs?

Thanks

goblin321
05-28-2011, 01:21 PM
will a salt dip with kosher salt be okay? Is salt effective against ich or white fungus? My 6" discus has one white patch and 2 cyst like pimples. He's itching. its not ich. thought about treating him in quarantine with metro but not sure if that works. Maybe salt?

Yassaaaf
06-11-2011, 02:40 PM
I never add salt to my tank,,, and all the fishes seems to be fine, would u recommend me doing a salt dip,or even add some salt to my 220 litter tank?

Thanks for kindness

whitezo6
12-13-2013, 01:19 PM
i will try this today cause my wild discus breathing fast out of one gill and scratch himself to gravel once in a while .how do we kill the flukes eggs ?please help

OC Discus
01-31-2014, 08:00 PM
subscribed

Tautog
02-17-2014, 09:44 PM
I have one Snow White 5.5 inch Discus that had a pimple looking bump above one eye for several months. This morning I noticed that where she has the bump its now a red sore kind of swollen. She just finished spawning for the past or 2 or 3 days. She is eating and other than the sore above her eye she seems normal. There were two males that fought for her attention during spawning... the looser never really gave up. Can this be an injury of something much worse. Should I now QT and salt bathe? Is there a risk to other fish?

OC Discus
02-17-2014, 10:44 PM
A salt dip is only recommended if you sterilize your tank because it removes the slime coat. If your tank has parasites it can be worse.

A pimple can be a water quality issue. Up water changes and clean filters.

You could dip a q tip in iodine and gently touch the spot not getting in eye. Then plop back in tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tautog
02-18-2014, 05:24 AM
What purpose does removing the slime coat serve... is the technique used when there is a problem with slime coat? I have read the applying aquarium salt in the recommended amounts per gallon during water changes in the show tank assists in maintaining a healthy show tank... is this true? Of course this is much more diluted say half cup to a cup for a 150G. I usually just sprinkle it across the tank but I had a local fella tell me that he places the cup in the bottom of the tank in it slowly dissolves in a concentrated area and seeps into the circulation flow over time...

pcsb23
02-18-2014, 08:01 AM
@ Tautog, you may be better starting a thread of your own in the disease section where we can concentrate on any specifics. The pimple you describe could be one of many things, but I doubt a salt dip will help here. Salt dips do tend to remove some slime coat, this can be beneficial to the fish as the fishes first line of defence is it's slime coat. If that slime coat contains pathogens (parasites/protozoa/bacteria) then removing the slime coat removes that load of pathogens. But putting a fish without it's slime coat back into an infected tank will often be counter productive as it has lost it's first line of defence, albeit only temporarily.

A general comment, I haven't read this thread for a while and noticed some poor information being put forward in it regarding salt and which type to use.

Using iodised salt.
The iodine in the salt is in the iodised salt of iodine (this usage of salt is in the chemistry format, i.e chemical symbol for Iodine is "I" and iodine, sodium iodide is the sodium salt of iodine and is written "NaI"). The long and short of it is that any of the iodine salts used in making iodised table salt are inert and cannot react in water. Not using iodised salt is just another fishkeeping myth.

Using salt with anti-caking agents
The most common anti caking agent used in salt is YPS (Yellow Prussiate of Soda or more correctly sodium ferrocyanide). The theory is that this will break down and release cyanide and poison the fish. The conditions required to break down sodium ferrocyanide are extremely unlikely to be found in an aquarium, let alone a discus tank. It requires massive amounts of energy, it is possible for the sun at midday at or near to the equator to maybe break sodium ferrocyanide down, but last time I looked very few of us have the sun as a tank light. If we were to put sodium ferrocyanide into an acid then it would break down and produce cyanide gas (HCN). So, how many discus or fish have we got living in an acid? And finally, given that the maximum permitted amount of sodium ferrocyanide in the EU is 20mg/kg that is 0.00002% you would need an awful lot of salt to have any effect! Yet another fishkeeping myth.

The moral of the story
Use any salt you want to, the cheapest you can find, I have been using whatever salt I can get hold of for all my fishkeeping life and have yet to poison myself or the fish with cyanide!

Regular use of salt
If you want to always add salt to a discus tank, stop, sell the discus and buy some mollies or even go the whole hog and get a reef tank!

Tautog
02-18-2014, 09:24 AM
That's very interesting. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Wendy1B
04-19-2017, 07:33 PM
THANKS, I booked mark that site, I was going to ask what a salt dip is used for.
thanks for answering that question.

I tried to read that link, but this is the message I get: The publication you requested is no longer available on EDIS. Can anyone here please give a list of things a salt bath is good treatment for?

DJW
04-19-2017, 08:08 PM
Wendy, here is the archived version of the article.

http://ufdc.ufl.edu/IR00002495/00001

ssevasta
07-24-2017, 09:06 PM

ssevasta
07-24-2017, 09:08 PM

ssevasta
07-24-2017, 09:11 PM
Just in case the site goes down or it gets removed for whatever reason.