PDA

View Full Version : lazy, floating manzanita..

ApacheDan
04-21-2009, 09:14 AM
How long does it take for the wood to get soaked in water & finally sink? I ordered some rather large pieces (30"+ and some 4-5" thick). Anyways, I boiled them...or most of them by the piece, have them floating 3-4 days in separate tanks and finally dump them in my 300 gal tank. Some of the larger pieces have been floating there 5 days & I'm running out of patience. I would hate to weight them down, since this might take some of the natural look away...but what choice do I have? Anybody else had problems with stubborn manzanita wood?:mad:

Eddie
04-21-2009, 09:20 AM
How long does it take for the wood to get soaked in water & finally sink? I ordered some rather large pieces (30"+ and some 4-5" thick). Anyways, I boiled them...or most of them by the piece, have them floating 3-4 days in separate tanks and finally dump them in my 300 gal tank. Some of the larger pieces have been floating there 5 days & I'm running out of patience. I would hate to weight them down, since this might take some of the natural look away...but what choice do I have? Anybody else had problems with stubborn manzanita wood?:mad:

Is there any way to position other pieces over the big pieces to prevent them from floating. I had to do that with a few of my pieces and after about a week they all sank.

Eddie

calihawker
04-21-2009, 10:15 AM
You may have to weigh them down but it would be temporary. Whatever you do, please post pics!

Steve

waters10
04-21-2009, 06:36 PM
I tied my pieces with an air stone, after my wood was boiled and let it float for a week ... After a week with the air stone, I cut the fishing line that was securing it and it and it's been good since.

Good luck and post pics!

Tito
04-21-2009, 06:50 PM
Here is my order in the water.
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z87/TitoTee_2007/Photos019.jpg

This is what I'm weighing them down with - thanks Ed for the timeline.
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z87/TitoTee_2007/Photos020.jpg