PDA

View Full Version : New discus arrivals..QT tank questions..

machine77
04-22-2009, 09:24 AM
my question is this,im expecting to receive my new fish in a week or 2, i already have my QT tank set up, i was told i can put them in without it being cycled, i would have to do 50 to 75% daily water changes for the first 7 to 10 days... does this sound right? thanks for the help!
nolan

seanyuki
04-22-2009, 09:30 AM
I do everything from the scratch.....new tank.uncycle filter,new heater....just plenty of water changes for the first couple of weeks.....small feedings each time and the benificial bacterial will colonise the sponge filter slowly....just my 2 cents.

Cheers
Francis:)

Eddie
04-22-2009, 09:33 AM
my question is this,im expecting to receive my new fish in a week or 2, i already have my QT tank set up, i was told i can put them in without it being cycled, i would have to do 50 to 75% daily water changes for the first 7 to 10 days... does this sound right? thanks for the help!
nolan

You can but I would recommend doing water changes like that for longer than 7-10 days. Maybe for about 6-7 weeks to get a cycle complete and that all depends on the age of the fish.

If they are juvenile fish, the smallest amounts of ammonia can hinder their growth.

Eddie

machine77
04-22-2009, 09:46 AM
hi guys,
they will be 3.5 -4" or bigger... just want to make sure im doing things correct, i dont wanna hurt or loss any of my fish :) .. hey francis, i left those pix of my tank you asked for in my thread on kennys page! thanks eddie as well for your constant help, it has taught me so much!

Eddie
04-22-2009, 09:50 AM
I do everything from the scratch.....new tank.uncycle filter,new heater....just plenty of water changes for the first couple of weeks.....small feedings each time and the benificial bacterial will colonise the sponge filter slowly....just my 2 cents.

Cheers
Francis:)

Sorry Francis, stepped on your post, at least we both had the same thing in mind. :D

Nolan, anytime and all time, here to help.

Eddie