PDA

View Full Version : Total Newbie Question

adamsite
04-23-2009, 11:49 AM
Hey all,
I've just recently set up my BB QT/grow out tank and have purchased a large sponge filter for it. I got it at my LFS, don't know the brand, I believe the writing on the box is Chinese. Anyways...the problem is that I cannot keep it submerged. Is there some trick to keeping sponge filters attached to the bottom of the tank? Do I need to weigh it down with something? Sorry if this is a total naive question...but it is...
-Adam

Graham
04-23-2009, 11:57 AM
Hi I'll assume that it has a base with it??

squeese it underwater to get all the air out of it

adamsite
04-23-2009, 12:00 PM
I've done that about a dozen times...it is back floating at the surface within a few hours...I've resorted to placing medium sized rocks on top of the sponge to balance it and weigh it down. And yeah, it has a standard base on the bottom.
-Adam

calihawker
04-23-2009, 12:02 PM
Hi I'll assume that it has a base with it??

squeese it underwater to get all the air out of it

Yeah, that's all I've ever had to do.

Steve

fishphoto
04-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Hi I had the same problem with sponge filters, I could not keep them submerged untill i got really agressive with the squeezing.

robert

drew22to375
04-23-2009, 04:06 PM
I had a couple that refused to sink as well. I ended up putting small gravel pebbles inside the tube. This was enough to weigh it down.

Drew..

Roxanne
04-23-2009, 05:49 PM
Hi I had the same problem with sponge filters, I could not keep them submerged untill i got really agressive with the squeezing.

robert

I agree....try holding it under the water while squeezing it alot...

3DDiscus
04-23-2009, 06:33 PM
I am a newbie also and just ran into this a few weeks ago. They won't sink no matter how many times I squeeze them to get water in. So I just placed a couple of rocks on top, waited a week and they stayed without the rocks.

BTW - there are some great deals in AquaBid for the Hydra filters if you buy in quantity in lessening the shipping charge.

discusjoe27
04-27-2009, 11:49 PM
I forgot what brand they are but I've seen a sponge filter that a sucken cup on the bottom of it that you could push to the bottom and it would stay.

Armandi_Fishcarer
04-28-2009, 07:29 AM
My experience with sponges is squeeze & release. A sort of quick action. It sometimes takes a few goes to get it right. I also have come back the next day or two to find the sponge floating although a repeat of the above mentioned works eventially.

I guess you were in a hurry, placing an object ontop is a great idea.

Regards
Ahmed