PDA

View Full Version : Starting my fishless cycle tomorrow...

silent_thunder
04-23-2009, 08:14 PM
Today I sterilized 2 tanks with bleach as well as all the new equipment going in...

I did read an article that was posted from a link here...

The gentleman talk about using gravel from etc, to help the media grow..

I have plenty of tanks with gravel <no gravel for discus> from many other aquariums I have, there may be a problem...all these tanks have undergravel filters, which I do like with the tanks and fish they are in...

Would this be safe to add gravel in a large bowl from a couple of these tanks?

No sponges to squeeze...they were nuked today...

Only other spongers are in tanks where dicsus are being treated...

This gravel an ok idea to use or not?

Thanks...

I am getting so happy doing mega water changes =L=...

I am in it for the long haul...and one day will have those A+++ some of you have....

wait...maybe some of MINE are <grins>

Thanks people

Daniel

Eddie
04-23-2009, 08:53 PM
Daniel, don't use the gravel if you just sterilized everything. Go new all the way. You can nuke a damp sponge filter in the microwave for a few minutes to kill anything off and start fresh.

Doing massive WCs your fish will be fine and the filters will cycle on their own, just in a longer amount of time.

Eddie

silent_thunder
04-23-2009, 10:30 PM
Daniel, don't use the gravel if you just sterilized everything. Go new all the way. You can nuke a damp sponge filter in the microwave for a few minutes to kill anything off and start fresh.

Doing massive WCs your fish will be fine and the filters will cycle on their own, just in a longer amount of time.

Eddie

Thanks Eddie...I played mr clean today...after going fishin` of course...

They are ready<tanks> drain em tomorrow and finally get em cycled...

I am really hopin` to get 2 125`s at an action at the end of MAY!

More work...but for once...I am likin` this discus stuff!

Eddie
04-23-2009, 10:43 PM
LOL, for sure. These Discus fish are the best!

Eddie

Roxanne
04-24-2009, 01:43 AM
Isn't this a fishless cycle? ...using ammonia?..

silent_thunder
04-24-2009, 08:55 AM
Isn't this a fishless cycle? ...using ammonia?..

Roxanne...where have you been!

Yes I am gong to use ammonia....

I will pour a quart in today...I used to drink a quart and it made me feel...fineeeeeeeeeee! Rummy dummy I was...

I think Of Stings song everytime I see you post...ain`t music grand..

<fades away>

Roxanne
04-24-2009, 04:21 PM
Roxanne...where have you been!

>

I've been to London to visit the Queen:D

..Yes I am gong to use ammonia....

I will pour a quart in today...>

eeee..A quart? a quarter of the bottle? don't do that...what ammonia have you got? How big is the bottle?

I think Of Stings song everytime I see you post...ain`t music grand..

<fades away>

..not you too!:D...I used to work at APRA and there are at least a dozen songs called Roxanne, but everyone only remembers the hooker song!:D...which is why I used to say my name was Doris to avoid hearing that...:D...haha Discus Doris...

silent_thunder
04-24-2009, 04:57 PM
I've been to London to visit the Queen

That had to have been boring!

eeee..A quart? a quarter of the bottle? don't do that...what ammonia have you got? How big is the bottle?

No I was just kiddin`....do as directed....gotcha though:bandana:

..not you too!:D...I used to work at APRA and there are at least a dozen songs called Roxanne, but everyone only remembers the hooker song!:D...which is why I used to say my name was Doris to avoid hearing that...:D...haha Discus Doris...

I never took it as a hooker song...she did what she had to do and sting came along and wooed her away...ahhhh love.

Roxanne
04-24-2009, 05:25 PM
...wasn't that "Pretty Woman"??:D

Roxanne
04-24-2009, 05:26 PM
...don't use any gravel or anything else BTW...just ammonia;)

kaceyo
04-24-2009, 05:33 PM
Daniel,
Were you kidding about putting a quart of ammonia in the tank??? I hope so. You'll only need a few capfulls. Add two caps of ammo then test to see what the level is. Repeat as needed. You want it to be around 4ppm to 5ppm. No higher.

Kacey

silent_thunder
04-24-2009, 07:47 PM
...wasn't that "Pretty Woman"??:D

Ya...

My kinda style :bandana:

Even in cowboy boots....

Really its like *Im better as a memory than as your man*

<fades>

silent_thunder
04-24-2009, 07:48 PM
Daniel,
Were you kidding about putting a quart of ammonia in the tank??? I hope so. You'll only need a few capfulls. Add two caps of ammo then test to see what the level is. Repeat as needed. You want it to be around 4ppm to 5ppm. No higher.

Kacey

I was just kiddin` Kacey...

No offense I hope...

kaceyo
04-25-2009, 01:33 PM
Offence? About what? I knew you were kidding around in general with that "drink a quart" bit, but wanted to make sure just in case.
Now comes the long wait. It's taken around 6 weeks every time I've done a fishless cycle. This is where being patient comes in.

Kacey

silent_thunder
04-25-2009, 05:23 PM
Offence? About what? I knew you were kidding around in general with that "drink a quart" bit, but wanted to make sure just in case.
Now comes the long wait. It's taken around 6 weeks every time I've done a fishless cycle. This is where being patient comes in.

Kacey
I cant wait 6 weeks! I am gonna power cycle it. per instructions...

However you may be right 6 weeks....Lordy

Roxanne
04-25-2009, 05:37 PM
...men:bandana:....so into instant gratification:D...6 weeks to own the King of the Aquarium...6 weeks is nothing if you compare it to 9 MONTHS of pregnancy...toss back another rum & stop being impatient....:D

Roxanne
04-25-2009, 05:39 PM
PS: if you use crappy gravel from another tank I'll never speak to you again.:p:D

silent_thunder
04-25-2009, 08:25 PM
...men:bandana:....so into instant gratification:D...6 weeks to own the King of the Aquarium...6 weeks is nothing if you compare it to 9 MONTHS of pregnancy...toss back another rum & stop being impatient....:D

I dont drink anymore =L=

I married a catholic 30 some yrs ago....te only two words they know are..
RHYTHM and BING0!

WAS I gald she left within 10 years...or was it me that left...that was probably it LOL

SOmetimes instant gratification calms me...:bandana:

silent_thunder
04-25-2009, 08:28 PM
PS: if you use crappy gravel from another tank I'll never speak to you again.:p:D

Read my lips <grins> fishless sterile amonia cycle only =coughs=

I almost paniced at the thought!

NOT!

Have a good weekend mate...

Roxanne
04-26-2009, 01:18 AM
you too Daniel...:)