PDA

View Full Version : Fish Tank Divider.

jonboy1969
04-24-2009, 10:57 AM
I got a few questions on how I divided my tank when the discus had wigglers and small fry. Here is a diagram of the divider. It was inexpensive to make and worked extremely well.
http://www.grovegfx.com/jon/pics/tank%20divider.jpg

1) I cut two pieces of 1 inch thick wood to match the height of the tank.
2) I cut the fiberglass screen the same height but about 1 foot wider. I then staple the screen to the wood and wrap the extra screen around the wood until the distance between the wood equals the width of the tank plus 1/2 an inch.
3) I drove the wood into the substrate, the screen stays on top of the substrate and then I cut the PVC pipe1 inch SHORTER then the width of the tank. (tank width already decreased by the thickness of the wood)
I then take that PVC pipe place it in the middle of on of the pieces of wood and then slide it down the other piece of wood until it 'wedges' the wood against the side of the tank.
I attached a diagram for clarification. and a picture of two of the dividers when they were installed.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3624/3301955512_41dd4bda34.jpg

tcyiu
05-04-2009, 11:33 PM
What about the staples? Any sign of rust?

Tim

jonboy1969
05-05-2009, 09:42 AM
good question. I forgot to mention I use Swingline Galvanized Heavy Duty staples that are Galvanized. I had no signs of rust for the few weeks I had the divider submerged.

mcsinny99
05-07-2009, 02:15 PM
What kind of wood did you use for that? No issues with treatment chems leaching?

jonboy1969
05-07-2009, 02:24 PM
used untreated pine, no effects to the discus seen. they have been in the water to divide the wigglers/free swimmers from the rest of the discus for the first month until big enough to join the rest of the bigger ones.

frenchie100
05-11-2009, 04:55 PM
Wow that is awesome! I have lost a lot of sleep trying to get my freeswimmers to not got through my dividers and have failed!

How do you keep the water quality up to par with the dividers? That was another one of my problems. I had a huge sponge filter on one side ( side of the babies) and an emperor 400 on the other. ( for a 55 gallon). Maybe I should add another sponge filter?

engenious!

-Julie

jonboy1969
05-12-2009, 11:58 AM
ive got a spray bar the spans the entire top of the tank and two overflow boxes on either corner. I really have not had any issues with water quality. I do have a pair of females, snake skin and blue diamond (I believe) that keep laying eggs that go nowhere, they both guard the eggs for a few days then lay some more eggs a week or so later to no avail :( . Good thing the Pigeon Bloods are having an easier time :)

and thanks for the complement,as a newcomer to keeping Discus its greatly appreciated

alexdavid
04-10-2010, 03:12 AM
hello everyone,
though you divide "Fish Tank" but all tanks are looking similar.
You should change a little bit so that all tanks look a little bit
different. I mean some difference of fish (different kind of fish),
some lights, ect.

jonboy1969
04-10-2010, 10:25 AM
Davids,
the divider(s) was to keep the other Adult (non parent) fish from eating the young free swimming fish.

fedric
01-11-2011, 07:37 AM
Glass is used for dividers that are meant to permanently separate one space from the next. Aquariums silicone sealant which is also used to secure the exterior walls of glass fish tanks can be used to secure the dividing walls in place. When creating your own dividers be sure to a silicone sealant that clearly states that it is non-toxic and safe to use on aquariums.

--------------------
simplyfishtanks.co.uk/

jonboy1969
01-11-2011, 09:31 AM
Nice plug for your site.
this thread was for a temporary divider to keep young fish fry away from other adult fish for a few weeks until they were old enough to fend for themselves.

Glass is used for dividers that are meant to permanently separate one space from the next. Aquariums silicone sealant which is also used to secure the exterior walls of glass fish tanks can be used to secure the dividing walls in place. When creating your own dividers be sure to a silicone sealant that clearly states that it is non-toxic and safe to use on aquariums.

--------------------
simplyfishtanks.co.uk/